Short ticking noise on cold start

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just picked up a new Gladiator sport out of state a week ago and already put 1,200 miles on in driving it back home. Now i’m just noticing that if the jeep is left off for 20 or more minutes, i will hear a ticking noise for only a second before it goes away. No ticking is heard if the engine is warmed up. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas? I’d hate for there the be a problem this early into owning it.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If it is only at startup, and goes away in a couple minutes, I would not worry about it. Mention it to the dealer when you get the oil changed, or sooner if it gets worse.

MagnusWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Once in a while I notice a brief faint "tick, tick, tick" on startup then immediately goes away, I thought it was the lifters trying to pump up with oil pressure but the head tech at my jeep dealer told me he thinks it's the timing chain tensioners pumping up as they use oil pressure as well. He told me most pentastar engines do this. I'm also a tech for Toyota and if you think jeep engines sound bad you should hear the new Tacoma trucks with the 3.5, they straight up knock.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Check your oil level just for sh*ts and grins...

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Use 5w-30 oil when you change it.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Use 5w-30 oil when you change it.
What would your theory be on why 5w-30 should be used instead of 0w-20 to prevent the startup tick? Considering 0w-20 is the factory spec, could this cause issues if there were subsequent failures which should be covered by warranty?

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Both my JT and JK tend to sit for long periods of time, sometimes for weeks. When the weather is nice, I drive my JK with the sides & back removed from the soft top. The Mojave gets used for family road trips and it will get used during the winter when my JK is put away.

After sitting for a little while, I found that my JK 3.6 would tick on startup until oil pressure builds, which can take several seconds. I can eliminate the ticking by 'priming' the oiling system before firing the engine.

So, what I do now is (if the Jeep sits for more than 4-5 days):
Press & hold the accelerator pedal to the floor.
Press & hold the brake pedal. (Not req'd on JK)
Press & release the starter button. (on JK, turn key to start position, then release)
The engine will run through a starter 'cycle' of about 10 seconds without fueling the engine. So the engine cranks over but does not start.

On my JK, I watch the oil pressure on the EVIC. After sitting for about a month, it will actually take 2 starter cycles for oil pressure to show on the gauge. I have not bothered watching oil pressure on the Off Road Pages of my Mojave, because it hasn't sat for more than a few weeks yet.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
People have been complaining of startup tick since 2011 when the Pentastar first came out. For most, it is the hydraulic lifters bleeding down and having a bit of lash between the lifter and the rocker arm. Once pressure builds back up, lash is gone and so is the tick.

A thicker grade oil like 5W-30 will mask it as the more viscous oil makes it less likely of the hydraulic lifter to drain down so quickly. I run a 5W-30 oil on occasion but there is 0W-20 oils that are higher on 20 weight grade scale that can help.

I have yet to see anything that makes the startup tick a long term issue or cause for reliability concern. You can take to your dealer to have it noted but unless the tick progresses beyond just a few seconds, they are not going to do anything about it.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
What would your theory be on why 5w-30 should be used instead of 0w-20 to prevent the startup tick? Considering 0w-20 is the factory spec, could this cause issues if there were subsequent failures which should be covered by warranty?
5w-30 has a a higher hths(High Temperature High Shear strength) and will provide a better moft (Minimum Oil Film Thickness). It will also cling to parts a little better after shutdown.

I run 5w-30 and would never consider 5w-20. 5w-20 is for cafe standards. 5w-20 will not affect most folks or cause problems. Mainly cause they will not ever see 100,000+ miles, but I plan on the JT being my last vehicle.

Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I'm running 0w-20 again now, but had no problems running 5w-30 for a bit. I keep thinking about going back to 5w-30 because i want the jeep to go over 200k miles. 0w-20 is like water. 5w-30 is still plenty thin imo.

You guys think 5w-30 would extend engine life?

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I'm running 0w-20 again now, but had no problems running 5w-30 for a bit. I keep thinking about going back to 5w-30 because i want the jeep to go over 200k miles. 0w-20 is like water. 5w-30 is still plenty thin imo.

You guys think 5w-30 would extend engine life?
I do but,not enough to matter to the average person who keeps a vehicle for less than 150 - 200, 000 miles.

Interesting if you look at the owners manual for most vehicles outside the US, owners manuals recommend oils thicker than 0w-20 for the same vehicle that has a 0w-20 recommendation in the US.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do but,not enough to matter to the average person who keeps a vehicle for less than 150 - 200, 000 miles.

Interesting if you look at the owners manual for most vehicles outside the US, owners manuals recommend oils thicker than 0w-20 for the same vehicle that has a 0w-20 recommendation in the US.
That was sort of true until a couple of years ago at least with FCA. Anything the last couple of years in other markets like the Middle East and South America to include Mexico, they have stuck to only calling out the same oil weight grades in the owners manuals of those markets as the USA with no heavier grade alternates mentioned.

https://mideast.mopar.com/en/owners-manual.php

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
That was sort of true until a couple of years ago at least with FCA. Anything the last couple of years in other markets like the Middle East and South America to include Mexico, they have stuck to only calling out the same oil weight grades in the owners manuals of those markets as the USA with no heavier grade alternates mentioned.

https://mideast.mopar.com/en/owners-manual.php
Things are changing around the world. That is true. 20 weight is being recommended by some countries and not by others.

I am very comfortable using 5 or 10w-30 in my vehicle. I actually prefer 10w-30, but it is getting harder to find. 10w is good down to about -32 degrees F, if I remember correctly. Where I live it rarely gets below 32F. 10w-30 has less VII in it, so its viscosity is more stable over the drain interval.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I think 0W20 is too thin, especially here where it gets really hot, but that is what's specified and required to maintain warranty coverage.
Sponsored