Sponsored

Should I get Bestop Supertop 2 w or w/o tonneau?

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
About to order the new Bestop Supertop 2 and they have a discount for the tonneau cover. Just curious if anyone is ordering that as well and what your thought process was on it. I need the topper for hauling the dogs, and I was just planning to use the topper for all covered storage needs. Any reason to grab the tonneau cover as well? I guess I just don’t see myself switching between the two but maybe I’m not thinking about a great potential use for it.

On a related note, hoping to figure out a rack system to go over the topper for carrying kayaks and paddleboards (though the new topper sits on the bed rails so I’m not sure if that is going to work).
Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
If you can't imagine using it, then don't bother adding it on. But I will say it goes on to the existing bed rails that you'll install for the Supertop very quickly so if you do have any inkling of wanting a tonneau, this makes it super easy.
Just my $.02.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
As @Bestop said, if you don't see a use for it, don't spend the money.

The beauty of it is, if you decide later you could use it, you already have the mount for it.

Save the tonneau money and buy a Sunrider :CWL:

OP
OP

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
As @Bestop said, if you don't see a use for it, don't spend the money.

The beauty of it is, if you decide later you could use it, you already have the mount for it.

Save the tonneau money and buy a Sunrider :CWL:
I only run a soft top, so no sunrider needed ;)

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through this decision my self. I intend to use the topper for hauling my dogs on trips, but i also use a tonneau every day. I LOVE the oem roll up, so it was a hard choice. My thought was that instead if running bolts in and out of the bed every time i want to have just the tonneau, or put the topper on, id get them both so I don’t have to swap the rails out. Im hoping it looks as nice as the oem roll up, its hard to tell from the bestop website pictures.

Remember it costs the same to get it with your initial purchase as it does to get it later.

What it will probably boil down to is if you feel like taking the frame rails off your Jt when you’re not using the topper or not.

If I were you id wait until i (or another forum membersget one and can post pictures and a unbiased review on the functionality of it to make the decision.

BigKillaTDogg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Blue
Occupation
Sales
I just went through this decision my self. I intend to use the topper for hauling my dogs on trips, but i also use a tonneau every day. I LOVE the oem roll up, so it was a hard choice. My thought was that instead if running bolts in and out of the bed every time i want to have just the tonneau, or put the topper on, id get them both so I don’t have to swap the rails out. Im hoping it looks as nice as the oem roll up, its hard to tell from the bestop website pictures.

Remember it costs the same to get it with your initial purchase as it does to get it later.

What it will probably boil down to is if you feel like taking the frame rails off your Jt when you’re not using the topper or not.

If I were you id wait until i (or another forum membersget one and can post pictures and a unbiased review on the functionality of it to make the decision.
Did you end up getting the tonneau cover? I got it and my corners stick up. I'm wondering if you have the same issue?

E8DC5767-9F2E-40AD-94DE-95C35D6FAC45.jpeg

EB3E78A0-7C38-4D67-93B3-90CF439F9603.jpeg

18AB94DD-7DC0-4D90-A603-5F7BC23F7465.jpeg

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Did you end up getting the tonneau cover? I got it and my corners stick up. I'm wondering if you have the same issue?

E8DC5767-9F2E-40AD-94DE-95C35D6FAC45.jpeg

EB3E78A0-7C38-4D67-93B3-90CF439F9603.jpeg

18AB94DD-7DC0-4D90-A603-5F7BC23F7465.jpeg
I did and I had the same issue. I figured it was due to me either not installing the cover right, or it not being warm enough to stretch. I think other members had the same issue and @Bestop helped them figure it out. I ultimatley ended up not using the cover and just switching back and forth between the topper and my MOPAR soft rolling cover.

Sponsored

BigKillaTDogg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I did and I had the same issue. I figured it was due to me either not installing the cover right, or it not being warm enough to stretch. I think other members had the same issue and @Bestop helped them figure it out. I ultimatley ended up not using the cover and just switching back and forth between the topper and my MOPAR soft rolling cover.
Yeah I reached out to them and they told me they are aware of the problem and when they fix it they will send me the new version for free. You might want to reach out to them.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I reached out to them and they told me they are aware of the problem and when they fix it they will send me the new version for free. You might want to reach out to them.
I will. Shame, but hopefully they’re actually going to fix it. I liked the idea of the whole system.

thankfully the topper is perfect for my use.

BigKillaTDogg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I will. Shame, but hopefully they’re actually going to fix it. I liked the idea of the whole system.

thankfully the topper is perfect for my use.
I wish they could design it so the topper is under the tonneau cover so when the topper is folded down you could pull the tonneau cover over all of it. Then when you want the topper up you can roll the tonneau up in front of the topper between the truck and topper. Anyway I'm happy with my topper but not the tonneau part because the edges stick up.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
I wish they could design it so the topper is under the tonneau cover so when the topper is folded down you could pull the tonneau cover over all of it. Then when you want the topper up you can roll the tonneau up in front of the topper between the truck and topper. Anyway I'm happy with my topper but not the tonneau part because the edges stick up.
I know it's a bit late now as you already have a topper but in case anyone else is looking for the same thing you are there is this option designed specifically to do both the soft topper (shell) and tonneau cover. Fas-Top:
https://radco.com/fas-top-travel-package-tonneau-cover-topper-100212

BigKillaTDogg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I wish
I know it's a bit late now as you already have a topper but in case anyone else is looking for the same thing you are there is this option designed specifically to do both the soft topper (shell) and tonneau cover. Fas-Top:
https://radco.com/fas-top-travel-package-tonneau-cover-topper-100212
Well shit, I wish I would have known about this! Do you know how well it holds up? It's been a year with my Bestop Supertop for truck 2 and I'm not very happy with it. It comes apart on the freeway and completely apart when off-roading, at least in the summer with the heat and the black diamond material I'm not sure about the twill. As for the tonneau part it completely sucks.
Sponsored