Sponsored

Should I have gotten the engine block heater?

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I factory ordered my truck, and for some reason didn't think to select the cheap option of an engine block heater.

I plan to move back to my home state of Iowa after living in Oregon for a bit. While I'm looking forward to being near family, I am not looking forward to the polar vortexes. Did I make a mistake not getting an engine block heater? How do these trucks and engines start in 0 degree F temperature?
Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I factory ordered my truck, and for some reason didn't think to select the cheap option of an engine block heater.

I plan to move back to my home state of Iowa after living in Oregon for a bit. While I'm looking forward to being near family, I am not looking forward to the polar vortexes. Did I make a mistake not getting an engine block heater? How do these trucks and engines start in 0 degree F temperature?
Biggest question of the day: Is it a gas or diesel engine?

OP
OP
Sunbeam63

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You should be fine without it. If you have remote start, then you can have it warmed up before getting in.

If I order my next truck, I'm going to make sure it comes with every option. I bought off the lot, but it was one of the first they received, and it came with almost every option available.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sunbeam63

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the responses guys. I’m less concerned about the cabin temperature, and more concerned about the engine temperature being so cold it won’t turn over. I remember in 2018, my Chrysler wouldn’t start at all for a few days.

But I think that was what Mac was getting at when he asked which engine I had.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I’ve had 5 cars since 2012 and never had any issues. I’m in Colorado so our cold isn’t as bad outside of a few days but never an issue.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Don't all the JT's have it? Just missing the cord. Search here I think you can buy the cord off amazon for $20 plugging it in is a b#$tch if I remember the thread right. Edit that;s just the Diesels.

But really in OR no, you don't needed it even on the East side the state, Nor in ID really. WI AK maybe. Need to be sub 10 deg constantly before I would worry bought it.

Last edited:

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Cold starts shouldn't be a problem with the gas engine and 0W20 oil.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Don't all the JT's have it? Just missing the cord. Search here I think you can buy the cord off amazon for $20 plugging it in is a b#$tch if I remember the thread right.
That's just the diesels that come with it. Because they need it. Unless you are someplace that regularly goes way below 0°F, you probably don't need a block heater for the gas engine.

Which does make me wonder though... where/what is the factory option on the gas engine? Is it a true block heater? In which case where/how is the element mounted? Or is it actually a coolant heater? If it's a coolant heater, that might be an option for people in cold climates who don't want to waste fuel/emissions warming the cabin up.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Oh ya the Diesel, that makes since.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Which does make me wonder though... where/what is the factory option on the gas engine? Is it a true block heater? In which case where/how is the element mounted? Or is it actually a coolant heater? If it's a coolant heater, that might be an option for people in cold climates who don't want to waste fuel/emissions warming the cabin up.
Searching to answer my own question, it looks like the factory block heater is really a block heater. It mounts to the block, and warms the block, meaning it eventually warms the coolant in the block, and the oil. And it's a real PITA to install after the fact. Probably not worth it just to warm the cabin, considering how fast the cabin warms anyway.

Wonder if there's room to add a coolant heater like we use on some of the big diesel stuff at work. That heats and circulates the coolant.

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
Up here in Montana, you definitely need one! If you get anywhere near -30 or -40 like we do, it's a must. I bought my JT off the lot in Colorado and it did not come with one. I ordered it online and I'm gonna have my local dealer install it. Someone posted a how-to for the install here, but it's already too cold for me to attempt that, not having a garage.