Should I trade my Sport S for a Diesel

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Considering it and on the fence. Really like my current set up... would most likely set it up the same way... I bought the sport S for the max tow but don’t tow my boat with it as much as I thought I would as I bought another Tundra as well... but like the thoughts of the diesel... :like:

I feel like the diesel would tow about the same given all the torque. I know rating is different.
i like the idea of the MPG with the 37’s I run. I also like the idea of saying it’s a diesel better than a V6. Might switch colors. I’ve had my mine about 15 months.

It is worth it to do it..Thoughts?
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Considering it and on the fence. Really like my current set up... would most likely set it up the same way... I bought the sport S for the max tow but don’t tow my boat with it as much as I thought I would as I bought another Tundra as well... but like the thoughts of the diesel... :like:

I feel like the diesel would tow about the same given all the torque. I know rating is different.
i like the idea of the MPG with the 37’s I run. I also like the idea of saying it’s a diesel better than a V6. Might switch colors. I’ve had my mine about 15 months.

My version is no. Youll take a bath on the trade; pay top dollar for the new diesel; and lose your mods.

id bet You could re-gear and supercharge (or at least livernois pcm/tcm)your current for the cost difference of swapping for new. Or close to. Or Ecu and gearing. Youll never get diesel mpg; but itll be better, and id be wary of the change “just because”. Diesel is about to go back to over $4/gal i’d bet.....

just my $.02

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Take the trade cost out of it... I have done a few deals with my dealer and I wouldn’t lose much on the trade. They have been really good to work with.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If youre saying theyll give you a new diesel jeep just like your old gas jeep and it wont cost you anything, then *shrug* do it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
If you really like the idea of having a diesel, sure. Go for it. You won't recover the extra cost through the better MPGs, but I can understand why some people just want a diesel under the hood.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Do it! Go get it done and don't look back.

Don't do it! You're about to make a big mistake and you'll take a bath financially for no good reason.

You're asking people on the internet for advice so you should/shouldn't do it.

And when you don't get the payback based on MPGs or when it doesn't tow as much as you hoped you can post here asking about that.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a feeling you are going to do what you want in the end. Most times people asking for advice on such matters are just looking for reinforcement of a already made decision and/or an out for someone to blame later when it does not work out the way you wanted.

Buy a diesel if you want the low end torque or extend range it brings. Anything else math wise just is not there.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If it was me, I would wait a bit = I think we will see the V8 and the 4xe come to the Gladiator soon. Then you will have more options to consider. (And hopefully better color choices imho)

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If youre saying theyll give you a new diesel jeep just like your old gas jeep and it wont cost you anything, then *shrug* do it.
Did I say that? No.

Is a 2020 old? It has a few days left before it’s outdated...

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do it! Go get it done and don't look back.

Don't do it! You're about to make a big mistake and you'll take a bath financially for no good reason.

You're asking people on the internet for advice so you should/shouldn't do it.

And when you don't get the payback based on MPGs or when it doesn't tow as much as you hoped you can post here asking about that.
I’m asking people on the internet that may have been around the gas vs the diesel and if they think it’s worth it to trade for the diesel.
Pretty simple question. We’re all on here looking for advice and reasons... and to talk about Gladiators.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Did I say that? No.

Is a 2020 old? It has a few days left before it’s outdated...
youre right.

just got get the diesel. Definitely the right call.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I love the idea of a diesel JT. At the same time my best friend had an ecodiesel ram he couldnt wait to trade out of. Its a very different drive for sure.

My vote is save your loot and enjoy what you have. Save that money for a TRX that will make you forget everything you know about that tundra and that jeep. lol.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
EcoDiesels have had more than their share of problems.

If you already have your truck set up the way you want it, and you are not towing or having any problems with it, I say keep your truck and enjoy it.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The diesel has about 65% more torque and will just do everything easier than a Pentastar. Otherwise it all depends on to many variables- comparative fuel cost, weight/tire size of your setup, use, weather, and last, how much work equivalent that diesel upgrade would cost you: the $3k in upcharge plus depreciation is different for everyone.

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I love the idea of a diesel JT. At the same time my best friend had an ecodiesel ram he couldnt wait to trade out of. Its a very different drive for sure.

My vote is save your loot and enjoy what you have. Save that money for a TRX that will make you forget everything you know about that tundra and that jeep. lol.
While the TRX will be bad... the new Ram trucks are growing on me but it’s still not a Jeep. To some people the Jeep lifestyle means more.
I like the way my Tundra is set up. Id also be more interested to see how Ford responds with the new Raptor.
Sponsored