Sponsored

Should my Max Tow Springs Look Like This?

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
Was under my JT Max Tow yesterday and noticed that while sitting in a normal stationary position, the top 3-4 coils of my springs are either touching each other or so close that I cant even get my fingertips between them. I understand they are progressive rate springs, but what's the purpose of having those coils if they're so close or even touching each other already? It's almost like having 1-2" of solid steel. Pics show the JT sitting static with the top coils darn near stacked and then on jackstands with the suspension nearly in full droop with the coils spread out. Is this normal?

IMG-7615.jpg

IMG-7621.jpg

IMG-7616.jpg

IMG-7626.jpg
Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
That's how you get the 'progressiveness' in the spring.
more material means it's easier to bend.

OP
OP
JTpoor

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
That's how you get the 'progressiveness' in the spring.
more material means it's easier to bend.
Right. I was under the impression though that the tighter coils at the top of the spring are usually in play for light or no load thus providing a slightly softer ride and then as you added weight, the larger spaced coils lower down carried the heavier weight. It seems as though with little or no spacing between the upper loops, I'm already bringing those bottom loops into play with no load. I know I'm not explaining my thoughts very well, but this is the best way I can describe it.
Sponsored