First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I picked up my 22 JTRD on 12/22/2021 and have yet to be ducked. Granted in 5 months, I only have 1,200 miles and I rarely park in a public parking lot. I live in Trussville Alabama(near Birmingham) and I'm starting to believe it is not the most JEEP friendly area.... it's even difficult to get a return wave from most, almost like there is an unspoken bias against the Gladiator from the Wrangler crowd.. ?? It seems the people around here are mostly just Jeep owners and not inthusiast.

So PLEASE .... share your Duck stories... giving/receiving , along with pictures of your collection.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've noticed that about the Birmingham area as well - parents used to live in Helena, and I've been up that way a number of times this past year preparing them and then moving them in with us here in FL. People up there just don't wave nearly as much as down here. I notice that most stock Jeeps (even Rubicons/Mojaves) tend not to wave, while most modified ones do. I think you are correct about the lifestyle.

Ducking Jeeps is definitely an Alabama thing though - the person who started it lives in Clinton I believe, and they have a ducking Jeep rally somewhere in Alabama.

I've been ducked twice, both times in Publix parking lots. I don't have a picture of my ducks, as they have been passed on to other Jeeps. I need to order a bag of my own ducks so I can start keeping a collection of the ones I get...

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don’t think ducks are a thing in Vegas really. I’ve been ducked once and it was kind of cool…. I just don’t have time or drive for that. If it’s your thing, cool. Otherwise, settle for the occasional wave.

Jeep Gladiator Show me your DUCKS ! AE84722B-8760-449C-AC5A-48501119E52A

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
Can someone explain the duck thing? I get the idea fellow keepers drop off a rubber duck on other Jeepers door handles. Beyond that I don’t know the story or reason.

Sponsored

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Now on the exact start of the duck thing I don't really know and there is probably 50 different stories on the start of it. I do know that in early 2000's a Hotel in Wisconsin would leave a tiny rubber duck or a rubber frogs for every guest that stayed there. I know that there is a stand up comedian that has done some "crazy ducking's" in the past too.

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So, after my above post, I spent an inordinate amount of time online looking at rubber ducks, pondering the question of which duck best suited my situation. I live in Florida, so beach themed ducks? Tampa has Gasparilla, so pirate ducks? I am an avid Tampa Bay Lightning fan, so hockey ducks?

Finally settled on ducks that resemble strawberries. My house is surrounded by strawberry farms, and Plant City has an annual strawberry festival. So 3 dozen strawberry ducks are heading my way, and I’ll get to ducking as soon as they arrive!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I’m in the Birmingham area and try to give ducks away all the time! My son loves giving them away whenever we are out and about…I feel the area is jeep friendly/knowledgeable…but I’m north Birmingham
Jeep Gladiator Show me your DUCKS ! 35C90291-DACD-409A-A352-98C203FECE33
Nice looking Jeep ! Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great Jeep people in Alabama. But like #OldFloridaMan said, you can kinda tell the "wave/duck" friendly by the mods on their Jeep.... modded almost always wave back... non modded... more of a "what the hell are you looking at" stare back... lol would love more info on Iron City Wranglers.... unless that excludes Gladiators.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I don’t think any ducks post here so I imagine you won’t get anyone showing you that they’re a duck.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Uh, okay.

*zzzzzzip*

Oh wait. Never mind.

*zzzzzzip*

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I don’t think ducks are a thing in Vegas really. I’ve been ducked once and it was kind of cool…. I just don’t have time or drive for that. If it’s your thing, cool. Otherwise, settle for the occasional wave.

Jeep Gladiator Show me your DUCKS ! 35C90291-DACD-409A-A352-98C203FECE33
Not necessary "my thing" just thought it was cool and that it was more main stream in the Jeep community.... but it seems maybe thats not the case everywhere. Also, in todays world, its nice to get a compliment and feeling of some comradery instead of the all too common middle finger....

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Can someone explain the duck thing? I get the idea fellow keepers drop off a rubber duck on other Jeepers door handles. Beyond that I don’t know the story or reason.
Its a complement, usually when someone (another Jeeper) likes you rig. Gives a sense of comradery and friendship.
Sponsored