Sponsored

Silver Lake Dunes, MI

• Thread starter Deleted member 24880
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 24880

Anyone at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan this weekend? I saw a hand full of Gladiators up there including @neonGladiatorJT from youtube. Gladiator was a beast and only faulted when my driving talent ran out. For the first time up there don’t think I embarrassed myself too bad. Seen a lot of people with way money in their rigs who had issues like everyone else. Check out the beautiful Scrambler. Can’t wait to go back!
Jeep Gladiator Silver Lake Dunes, MI EA447B47-5209-4D78-B86B-C800DB3511F0
Jeep Gladiator Silver Lake Dunes, MI BECA7E95-5DE5-4A3F-97B1-E0994C3EBDFA
Jeep Gladiator Silver Lake Dunes, MI D0AC4F3D-7635-482B-8581-F5A06FEB7F19
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Headed up to SL again in the morning with my oldest son. Maybe I will run across someone from the forum while there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Headed up to SL again in the morning with my oldest son. Maybe I will run across someone from the forum while there.
What are the vehicle requirements (aside from a flag which is typical for dunes from what I hear)?
Any specific tire or other requirements?
An ordinary JT? (but not with stock Overland tires, I'm sure)

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

What are the vehicle requirements (aside from a flag which is typical for dunes from what I hear)?
Any specific tire or other requirements?
An ordinary JT? (but not with stock Overland tires, I'm sure)
Nope no requirement other than flag and seatbelts. Hell there is a stock Ford Explorer and a Acadia running around out here today.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wish that wasn't so far away - about 8.5-9 hours for me so it would have to be a weekend trip.
I wonder how far that is from Fort Wayne - maybe make a real outing out of it next year and see my friend out in Indiana at the same time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Wish that wasn't so far away - about 8.5-9 hours for me so it would have to be a weekend trip.
I wonder how far that is from Fort Wayne - maybe make a real outing out of it next year and see my friend out in Indiana at the same time.
Well being I live half way between Ft Wayne and Auburn it 3-3.5 hrs. 240ish miles from my house.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well being I live half way between Ft Wayne and Auburn it 3-3.5 hrs. 240ish miles from my house.
There's names I know- Auburn, the site of two of the AMO shows I was in, 2018 was the last time it was in Auburn. My friend and his family live around the Fort Wayne area - his address is Fort Wayne.
That's not a far drive from their house, then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

There's names I know- Auburn, the site of two of the AMO shows I was in, 2018 was the last time it was in Auburn. My friend and his family live around the Fort Wayne area - his address is Fort Wayne.
That's not a far drive from their house, then.
No not at all. You could do it all in 1 day but it’s a lot of driving. It’s a great 2 weekend trip.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No not at all. You could do it all in 1 day but it’s a lot of driving. It’s a great 2 weekend trip.
I may have to plan something for next year.........

Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Why do they make you put flags on your jeep? For visibility? Or were you in an event or something

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why do they make you put flags on your jeep? For visibility? Or were you in an event or something
The flags are required and warn other drivers who may be coming up the other side of the sand dunes that you are approaching. You can't see over the darned dunes. It's safety/visibility.

And I suppose if you get stuck and dig in really deep, rescue teams can look for a flag sticking up a bit out of the sand?

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
All for visibility and safety! Many places you still don’t see the flags until almost the point of no return.
Especially at the speeds at which some of those idiots fly around. I see more piss-poor driving up there than I do on the highway

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Especially at the speeds at which some of those idiots fly around. I see more piss-poor driving up there than I do on the highway
Have you driven around Des Moines? LOL
Years ago a friend from Toronto flew to Orygun to meet up with his bride-to-be and drive back in her car to Toronto to be married. As they were taking I80 part of the way I suggested they stop by, spend the night and catch up a bit. We met up in Ankeny. He explained that he knew (by reputation) when he was approaching West Des Moines as he was getting honked at, fingered, cut off and nearly run off the road by rude and arrogant drivers who didn't know how to drive in traffic.
He said the drivers here were the worst he'd come across on his whole trip back.
My son describes it quite well - rural people trying to use their rural ways in the middle of urban traffic - clueless and dangerous.
Sponsored