Single digit temps and check engine lights

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
2022 Gladiator EcoDiesel - approximately 2700 miles - North Texas - ran (still runs) perfect but had a time starting this morning in 9* weather with a wind chill in the negative teens. To level set, I have the cold weather package, had the block heater plugged in overnight, have fuel treatment (Hot Shot EDT) in what's left of a half tank of winterized fuel. The temps dropped from the 40's to 8* with a north wind at 25 mph last night.

I went out at 9:00am (I'm off until Jan 3rd), checked the tires (5 psi low), aired them up and remote started. It started just fine and ran a few minutes. I went out to get in and noticed the jeep was off. I went to restart it and it stumbled and fell on its face. I put it in run, not start, and the fuel pump sounded a bit weak and the pre-ignition heater didn't come on. The second start attempt yielded a brief battery error, dreaded "service electronic throttle" message and after pulling codes. A volt meter yielded 10 volts and dropping across the battery pack.

I had to be somewhere this morning and took another vehicle.

When I got back, I hooked up the battery booster, let it sit a bit and after 5 start attempts it roared to life. There were no codes stored in the EVIC, but I pulled a P0191, P2635, P0087 and P016F.

P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit Performance
P2635 - Fuel Pump 1 Low Flow / Performance
P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Bank 1
P016F - Closed Loop Fuel Pressure Control at Limit - Pressure Too Low

I checked the fuel filter / water separator and got clean albeit cold diesel out of the separator. I didn't pull a sample earlier as I was in a hurry. I let the jeep run / idle for 15 minutes and went for a drive. ZERO ISSUES. The jeep ran perfectly. Fuel temps were in the 30's prior to starting and once the fuel heater kicked in they were in the upper 30's and rising. Once at operating temp, it ran as if nothing happened.

I took the jeep to the dealer as the codes hadn't cleared and I wanted to get it on record. I ended up leaving it with them to diagnose and resolve.

This may be a simple battery issue with the stark temp delta's but in the off chance it's something else, it's in their hands and well under warranty. As the jeep ran perfectly, I think the issue is with the fuel pump in the tank and not the HPFP. The jeep is assigned to their top diesel tech not some newbie that'll spend an hour looking for spark plugs.

More to come but they won't get to it until Monday.
Jeep Gladiator Single digit temps and check engine lights 187F019E-9694-4C0F-B36D-1460DB315EC7_1_102_o
Jeep Gladiator Single digit temps and check engine lights 6E94F00D-7754-4A3E-B2FF-EE018BFD881D_1_102_o
Jeep Gladiator Single digit temps and check engine lights 4D97DD43-C3D3-487F-A268-421388A6221B_1_201_a
Sponsored

WTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Occupation
Business owner
My bet is on fuel gel being just bad enough to affect fuel pressure. We just had a drastic temperature swing from 58 degrees this morning to a current 6 degrees. I have additive in my JTRD and tomorrow morning will be very telling when I fire it up. I’m not convinced that winterized diesel has made its way to NE consumers…maybe the same down your way. Back in the good ole days we added a bit of kerosene to our tanks to prevent fuel gel issues…worked beautifully.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is you had some fuel gelling that gave you a starvation problem. Around 09:00 I used a flashlight to check level in Fuel transfer tank on my Cummins flat bed and the top of the fuel looked like a Slush Puppy. We had temperatures similar to yours.
However, at 10:00 I fired my diesel JT and ran a full day of errands with no problems. I have Amsoil additive but nothing for anti-gelling in the tank.
Eager to see what your tech thinks, good luck.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I have an idea that you got some gelling going on.

I added 4 oz of anti-gel in my tank on my last fill up, a long with the normal EDT treatment. I haven't started it today. I have to do some traveling. So i will start it early. By the way. It's a balmy -5F with a wind chill of -23F at the moment.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
It’s been -5 to -15 the last few days here.

I had some gelling that resulted in white smoke, rough idle, etc.

I added some anti gel and it’s been ok today.

Sponsored

20blue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 overland diesel
Occupation
Construction
Well mine will not start today. Windchill was -25 last night. When they high temperature of 9 today. I did add EDT winter but still gelled. Tomorrow I will set a small space heater under the Jeep. If it will not start tomorrow I will have it towed to the dealer

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Well mine will not start today. Windchill was -25 last night. When they high temperature of 9 today. I did add EDT winter but still gelled. Tomorrow I will set a small space heater under the Jeep. If it will not start tomorrow I will have it towed to the dealer
Try Diesel 911. I've had to used it before in my motorhome. When it gelled.

Jeep Gladiator Single digit temps and check engine lights 1671940722550

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None taken. Cold weather prep happens in January in North Texas. We had a freak storm sneak up on us.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither gelled Diesel, the tank fuel pump HPFP or fuel rail were the issue.

There’s a TSB 18-157-22 that addresses the codes and issues that fixes this particular issue.

All fixed and flashed..

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Neither gelled Diesel, the tank fuel pump HPFP or fuel rail were the issue.

There’s a TSB 18-157-22 that addresses the codes and issues that fixes this particular issue.

All fixed and flashed..
What's the TSB about?
Sponsored