Sponsored

Sirius XM reception no good!..

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
My Gladiator is unlistenable because of all the dropouts..Where to start to solve this problem?

My previous vehicle (2017 Ram 1500) had no issues..The very few it had were consistent with my local terrain..

Is there a better aftermarket antenna?..a booster?...Maybe its an internal issue with the stock head unit? Why would my Ram work so well and this one sucks?

At $250 year, I would like this to work properly..Any help would be much appreciated..I love my Sirius!
Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
My Gladiator is unlistenable because of all the dropouts..Where to start to solve this problem?

My previous vehicle (2017 Ram 1500) had no issues..The very few it had were consistent with my local terrain..

Is there a better aftermarket antenna?..a booster?...Maybe its an internal issue with the stock head unit? Why would my Ram work so well and this one sucks?

At $250 year, I would like this to work properly..Any help would be much appreciated..I love my Sirius!
I live in Eastern Canada, Prince Edward Island, and never had good reception. The first Jeep I had with Sirius XM was a JKU and it would drop up all the time. A street with lots of trees was all it took. I don't find my JTR any different. I was told it was the location of the satellites in relationship to where I was located in the country. I did keep my subscription with the JKU for a couple of years but was able to negotiate the price down to $75 a year for all their services, at the time, I kept it because of the price. With the JTR, I now use Apple Music and thus will not have Sirius once my trial is up. I do find a huge difference in the quality of the sound and figure Sirius XM must have a fairly poor streaming rate. Apple Music sounds so much better. Cheers!

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I find in the spring and summer it's much worse because of the trees. I have no problems on the open roads. Winter time it gets better for me. I deal with it.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Here’s my recommendation... go to your dealer. You might have a loose connection.

but I will add this. When there was two companies when they started and brought better pricing, there was a difference where satellites were placed And signal sent. XM had them placed south of North America and have them shooting at us from south to north. That’s why if your in a canyon or next to a building it would cut out, especially if your on the north side of said obstruction. Sirius ran 3 satellites in a figure eight pattern more centered across the United States, when one of the satellites would move out over the ocean, one would come back on land and send signal. Also Sirius had better bandwidth and sound. Now let’s go to when the my merged and still is today. Somehow XM won and that’s the satellite system they now use even though Sirius bought them and was the superior service and our prices went up. Honestly I just paid for another year but I still think it could be better signal wise but with no competition SiriusXM will never fix or change it.

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired

OK, if/when you renew, tell you want the $99/year plan or you'll cancel. It won't help the reception, but at that price it's easier to deal with.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Satellite signal reception in my JT poor enough that I won't be signing on after the "free" trial period. Signal dropouts are common and frustrating. I expect it when I drive under overpasses or in tunnels, but when it happens with a treeline alongside the road that's a bit much.

OP
OP

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
Satellite signal reception in my JT poor enough that I won't be signing on after the "free" trial period. Signal dropouts are common and frustrating. I expect it when I drive under overpasses or in tunnels, but when it happens with a treeline alongside the road that's a bit much.
It's something in the JT because my '17 Ram was flawless..The few dropouts were consistent but the JT system is garbage..Between the poor steering, brakes, and now this, I'm regretting my purchase..

levesqueonline

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Agreed I notice this same issue as well, my 2016 ram was flawless unless around mountains etc, the jeep is damn near useless it feels

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I dont recall the year but when XM and Sirus merged signal went to crap. Had the same issue with my GC when i went from an 09 to a 16. Different radios. I talked to both the dealer and XM at the time and neither were helpful. I litterly could follow my wife and she has signal and my radio has none.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I'm thinking an antenna swap would help. Something more high gain. Could be pretty easy to do. Not even sure where the antenna is located. Is it that little spherical bump on the top of the dash?

Sponsored

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
It's something in the JT because my '17 Ram was flawless..The few dropouts were consistent but the JT system is garbage..Between the poor steering, brakes, and now this, I'm regretting my purchase..
I don't believe it is the system. I believe it is placement of the antenna under the freedom top. I'd like to know if soft top owners have the same issue?

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Soft Top owner, no issues with reception.
I do believe that it is hard top related, as my JK with hard top had terrible Sirius reception.

Also, I've had XM, or Sirius since 2000. When your renewal comes up, just tell them to cancel it.
Be insistent that it be cancelled, and they will all of a sudden offer you 6 months for $30.
They do setup auto-renewal, which you can't turn off while in your online account.
I set a calendar reminder to call them and cancel, which nets another 6mo for $30

Been doing it for 20 years.

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Being on the east coast of Canada I've always had reception issues. WIth my JKU, it didn't matter if I had the soft top, hardtop or went naked there were always issues. I found the time of the year made a difference as well. A heavy tree-lined street in the summer with full foliage often caused issues. In the winter, on the same street with leaves off the trees, there would be less of an issue. Tail building would also be an issue and could almost tell exactly when the signal would drop out. The antenna is located on the top of the soundbar.
I too played the cancel subscription game till I was offered the full meal deal for $74 a year, but that was a few years ago. Now with unlimited cell data, I just listen to Apple Music and will not be renewing my free trial subscription to Sirius. I also found the quality of sound was so much better with Apple Music and Sirius was really crap. Cheers!

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Comparing the reception in my TJ with the Grand Cherokee there is a major difference in reception. I believe it's the antennas the JT has a small antenna on the roll bar, the other has a shark fin on the roof. Better antenna better reception.
Sponsored