Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
Noob question:
My JTR is coming in a few weeks but i know there are back orders on parts so one of the first things i like to take care is the underbelly. Not planning on significant off-roading initially so not thinking of differential covers at the moment.
Does the JT rubicon have enough skid plates from the get go? It seems it comes with aluminium(?) skid plates for pretty much all the important areas. I have the front steel bumper so it has a steel front skid plate i believe.

-FR
Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
It has steel skids, and a sufficient amount. The only skids I recommend are the rear shock mount skids from rock hard. The rear hitch also benefits from a skid. Ask me how I know ;)

27FA86DD-D04A-4DB9-9D2C-B85E906CC0BE.jpeg

1BE454A6-BC67-45A0-8B6F-946CF024B72A.jpeg

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
It has steel skids, and a sufficient amount. The only skids I recommend are the rear shock mount skids from rock hard. The rear hitch also benefits from a skid. Ask me how I know ;)

Jeep Gladiator Skids plates for JTR 1BE454A6-BC67-45A0-8B6F-946CF024B72A

Jeep Gladiator Skids plates for JTR 1BE454A6-BC67-45A0-8B6F-946CF024B72A
That looks awesome! Will be there one day soon.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Rusty’s rear frame-side control arm skids are a must if you’re rock crawling.
Has anyone found the need for a skid to protect the exhaust loop? I have been concerned about that area but have not seen any concerns of anyone hitting the pipe. I have found a couple of vendors who have a skid in the making, just don't know if it is needed for moderate trails

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone found the need for a skid to protect the exhaust loop? I have been concerned about that area but have not seen any concerns of anyone hitting the pipe. I have found a couple of vendors who have a skid in the making, just don't know if it is needed for moderate trails
I’ve dinged mine a little, but it was on stuff I shouldn’t have been doing, following a guy I shouldn’t have been following.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Gladiator motor mounts are different, which is where the brackets mount.
Ah, that makes sense, I was wondering why they didn’t list it. Maybe they’ll make it available soon, seems like a good product.
Thanks.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Just based on the gouges on my YJ's leaf spring skidplates and having ripped off the same rear shock mount TWICE, I've added a lot of small plates to suspension bits under our JTR. When I slide a wheel off a rock sideways and hit a skidplate instead of a leaf spring bracket, it makes me feel better.

Rusty's rear upper LCA skid was first, then the Rock Hard front and rear lower LCA brackets and rear shock skid. Also a FAD plate, the factory thought it needed a skid plate but it's not very strong. Just got the MetalCloak rear diff skid on Friday while we were out of town, neighbor stashed it in their garage for us. Goes with the front diff skid, which requires the MC diff cover.

The only visible bit, once they get here, is going to be the ACE sliders that fit under the factory rocksliders - the offset outboard will help cut down the body dings.

All the drivetrain stuff LOOKS exposed, but jeeze, I've never had a problem on my YJ. I don't expect to do as much stupid with the JTR, anyway.

Edit to add: As pickups are ass draggers offroad, I also have a hack job receiver skid
Jeep Gladiator Skids plates for JTR IMG_20200721_132700

Ah, that makes sense, I was wondering why they didn’t list it. Maybe they’ll make it available soon, seems like a good product.
Thanks.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I’ve dinged mine a little, but it was on stuff I shouldn’t have been doing, following a guy I shouldn’t have been following.
Reason why I have this license plate frame.
"You have been warned"

20200930_113600.jpg

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are these overkill for a Sport S?

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rubicon-express-transmission-skid-plate-black-powder-coated.html

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rubicon-express-oil-pan-skid-plate-black-powder-coated.html

Or should I spend my money protecting somewhere else first? I saw first hand on my Rebel how easily that plastic transmission pan gets punched through so even though the JT has more protection I still worry
I started with areas that hang the lowest like differential guards, steel skid under front bumper, hitch skid, lower control arm and rear shock skids. I figure that I can build up from there as I get into trails that require more.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Already dinged the receiver skid and the rear lower LCA skid. As recessed as the drivetrain parts are, I don't think I'll worry about that. Put the rear Metalcloak diff skid on, still have to do the front with the diff cover.

Are these overkill for a Sport S?

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rubicon-express-transmission-skid-plate-black-powder-coated.html

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rubicon-express-oil-pan-skid-plate-black-powder-coated.html

Or should I spend my money protecting somewhere else first? I saw first hand on my Rebel how easily that plastic transmission pan gets punched through so even though the JT has more protection I still worry
Sponsored