First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I'm curious what people think of the shock options. I'll be ordering the skyjacker shortly I think.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
The Skyjacker kit with the black max shocks rides nice for the money. I purchased the kit as a temporary solution until more kits become available, but I would have no problem sticking with it on a daily driver. With the shock travel it should do well stretching it's legs offroad as well, but you will want an aftermarket front driveshaft if you do a lot of "flexing".
About the only complaint I have is the front trackbar. Comparing it to most aftermarket bars it is very thin.

OP
OP
MikeDrone

MikeDrone

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Cinematographer
I should mention I have a Launch Edition Rubicon, so I want to make sure I keep the same ride comfort or better with a lift.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
I should mention I have a Launch Edition Rubicon, so I want to make sure I keep the same ride comfort or better with a lift.
The ride won't be better due to control arm angles up front. If you could pick up a set of drop brackets to keep control arm geometry close to stock it would help.

I started off with a similar Skyjacker kit on my JL. The ride was also slightly firmer than stock with the factory arm placement. When I went to a long arm kit it completley transformed the ride. Switching to coilovers made the ride worse even with a very soft spring rate.

Sponsored

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
It is a decent entry level lift with off-the -shelf springs that are not especially tuned for ride but rather height.......and shocks that are valved the same for your jt as it is every other truck that this shock fits. The arms are very basic build with very average bushings. Why are people.spending 60k on a jeep and then trying to cheap out on the one thing that will remind you daily of how cheap the lift was. Ive gone cheap before.....NEVER AGAIN

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It is a decent entry level lift with off-the -shelf springs that are not especially tuned for ride but rather height.......and shocks that are valved the same for your jt as it is every other truck that this shock fits. The arms are very basic build with very average bushings. Why are people.spending 60k on a jeep and then trying to cheap out on the one thing that will remind you daily of how cheap the lift was. Ive gone cheap before.....NEVER AGAIN
For one, the good stuff ain’t available yet.

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Im just doing 35s until i can get my hands on a quality lift. Im not in such a hurry that i will buy a cheaper kit where i end up replacing/or upgrading everything

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I ordered the 2.5 kit with m95 shocks. Gonna get it on and see how the shocks are. If they suck I'll jump to some FOA 2.5 reservoir shocks. If they are okay I'll run em till they fall apart.

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Red LE, 2014 Sierra 6in lift, 2015 Ford Fusion
I bought and installed mine over the past couple days. The kit was missing two nuts for the track bar relocation bracket so I had to run into the hardware store and pick up a couple. I still have to attach the rear track bar as the holes aren't lining up so I will have to try ratcheting the axle over I guess. I picked up a couple coil spring compressors because dropping the axle all the way still didn't leave me enough room to cram the new springs in there.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
I bought and installed mine over the past couple days. The kit was missing two nuts for the track bar relocation bracket so I had to run into the hardware store and pick up a couple. I still have to attach the rear track bar as the holes aren't lining up so I will have to try ratcheting the axle over I guess. I picked up a couple coil spring compressors because dropping the axle all the way still didn't leave me enough room to cram the new springs in there.
If you didn't loosen all the control arm bolts the bushings would bind not allowing the axle to drop. I also removed the driveshaft center coupling bolts and hung the driveshaft with some bungee cords. Doing both allowed for plenty of droop to install the rear springs without the need for spring compressors.

I want to say in the front I had to leave one of the lower arms out on each side to allow the axle to drop far enough to seat the new springs. Once installed I raised the axle back up, installed the control arm bolt with the new arm and did the same for the other side. I also disconnected the driveshaft at the axle, but I believe the instructions call for that.

As far as getting the bolt in for the trackbar usually a buddy leaning on the bumper in the rear allows for plenty of movement to get the bolt installed(with the Jeep on the ground.) In the front simply having someone turn the steering wheel will help align that bolt hole.

Just my experience from working on a couple of these and plent of JL's :beer:

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you didn't loosen all the control arm bolts the bushings would bind not allowing the axle to drop. I also removed the driveshaft center coupling bolts and hung the driveshaft with some bungee cords. Doing both allowed for plenty of droop to install the rear springs without the need for spring compressors.

I want to say in the front I had to leave one of the lower arms out on each side to allow the axle to drop far enough to seat the new springs. Once installed I raised the axle back up, installed the control arm bolt with the new arm and did the same for the other side. I also disconnected the driveshaft at the axle, but I believe the instructions call for that.

As far as getting the bolt in for the trackbar usually a buddy leaning on the bumper in the rear allows for plenty of movement to get the bolt installed(with the Jeep on the ground.) In the front simply having someone turn the steering wheel will help align that bolt hole.

Just my experience from working on a couple of these and plent of JL's :beer:
It wasn't that the axle wouldn't drop because it would...just not enough slack in the brake lines to drop it as far as it needed to go. I know the tire turning trick for the front...i dont have anyone strong enough to help me with the rear so i will ratchet it.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
It wasn't that the axle wouldn't drop because it would...just not enough slack in the brake lines to drop it as far as it needed to go. I know the tire turning trick for the front...i dont have anyone strong enough to help me with the rear so i will ratchet it.
My kit came with new lines, I swapped the springs with the lines out :beer:

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finished up the installation today and took it for a test ride. I have the grey shocks. I'd say it's acceptably close to a stock ride but a little firmer
Sponsored