Snake + JT = Not Fun

thecalebclark

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So, I got my JT back in October and over the winter I didn't have to many opportunities to run with the top or doors off. But as soon as the the highs were getting in the 60s this past spring I have been running with them off frequently. Including a day when my dad and I were taking a scamp up to a small lake nearby. Earlier in the day I was living my best Jeep life. Enjoyed lunch next to the river, hammock'd from it in the woods, and got the boat out of my parents wooded back yard. Somewhere in all of this however, a snake got into my truck. We found this out going about 70 down the highway.

At first, out of nowhere my dad put his legs out the door and started freaking out. So being a good son I pull over and he says there was a snake between is legs. We look around and under the seat but don't see anything. Now my dad is getting up there in age and well, I just thought he was starting to loose it.

Hopping back in the jeep we get going again and about five minutes later, I realized myself that it was an actual snake. It sticked its head out again from underneath the passenger seat, high enough to where I got a glimpse of it. As quickly as I could without crashing I whipped us over to the side of the road and bailed out as soon as I put it in park.

This time, knowing that there was in fact a freaking snake in my truck I started ripping everything out, including the front seats. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind snakes. I think they are cool, at a distance and out in the open. But when one is hanging out below your seat while you're out for a little drive, that's where it crosses the line. We finally got it to go out, only for it to crawl up the front wheel and lodge itself in the engine bay.

The day was getting later and well, we still had fish to catch, so we put everything back together and got down the road again never to see the snake again (yet). Some people camping near where we parked allegedly saw a snake slithering away from the Jeep while we were fishing but you can bet your bottom dollar as we were driving home that night I put the cruise control on and kept my legs as far out the door as I could.

Below are some photos from the ordeal. Sorry about the quality, most are screenshots from a video.

Moral of the story is, check for snakes.

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun IMG_3366.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.37.11 AM

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.37.25 AM

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.38.00 AM

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.38.14 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

captain kilroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
contract welder
Looks like a king snake. I am the same as you are about snakes. Congrats on keeping your cool. That's one thing you never think would happen while driving down the road.

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
I ran open doors and open roof for five years straight in my JK and i wondered in the back of my head if this would ever happen. Turns out, it does! Nice pics!!

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Nice job on getting the seats out so quickly! That would freak me out.

A couple of years ago, I’m on my back under the ‘64 Corvette changing the front shocks and sway bar and generally inspecting things, when I realize I need a couple of bolts. I take the wife’s car and have to get back quick as she has a hair appointment. I come in the house and return her keys. She goes into the garage, shuts the door and I hear a blood curdling scream and she comes flying back in the house more scared than I’ve ever seen her saying there’s a coral snake in the garage and she almost stepped on it. Now she has my attention. The second most deadly snake in the world is in my garage. Nah, it’s probably a king snake. I go out and don’t see it. Of course I have boxes and tools and parts everywhere. Then I notice movement under the 911. Sure enough, “red and yellow, kill a fellow” is under the Porsche just checking things out and he’s a big one, over two feet long. Long story short, he got away. I looked for a few hours and couldn’t find him. I did wound him, so now there’s a potentially pissed off coral snake in my garage. One of the many bonuses of moving to Texas!

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Oh my. We had a bee in the car yesterday and my wife completely freaked out while driving down the road I had to pull over. A snake definitely is the last thing I'd want to see in the cabin. Pretty cool story though lol

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
One summer I ran the YJ open with just the top, no doors, side or rear windows. Quite a few lizards were able to hitch a ride to the next stop. I buttoned up after that. Last week, a rat snake zapped a bunny in the front yard. (we Live in the burbs). Found bobcat tracks as well in the back yard. Glass lizards, skinks and snakes show up regularly. I like all of them but I applaud your cool headed actions.

Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So, I got my JT back in October and over the winter I didn't have to many opportunities to run with the top or doors off. But as soon as the the highs were getting in the 60s this past spring I have been running with them off frequently. Including a day when my dad and I were taking a scamp up to a small lake nearby. Earlier in the day I was living my best Jeep life. Enjoyed lunch next to the river, hammock'd from it in the woods, and got the boat out of my parents wooded back yard. Somewhere in all of this however, a snake got into my truck.

We found this out going about 70 down the highway. At first, my dad out of nowhere threw his legs out the door and started freaking out. So being a good son I pull over and he says there was a snake between is legs. We look around and under the seat but don't see anything. Now my dad is getting up there in age and well, I just thought he was starting to loose it.

Hopping back in the jeep we get going again and about five minutes later, I realized as well that it was an actual snake. It sticked its head out again from underneath the passenger seat, high enough to where I got a glimpse of it. As quickly as I could without crashing I whipped us over to the side of the road and bailed out as soon as I put it in park.

This time, knowing that there was in fact a freaking snake in my truck I started ripping everything out, including the front seats. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind snakes. I think they are cool, at a distance and out in the open. But when one is hanging out below your seat while you're out for a little drive, that's where it crosses the line. We finally got it to go out, only for it to crawl up the front wheel and lodge itself in the engine bay.

The day was getting later and well, we still had fish to catch, so we put everything back together and got down the road again never to see the snake again (yet). Some people camping near where we parked allegedly saw a snake slithering away from the Jeep while we were fishing but you can bet your bottom dollar as we were driving home that night I put the cruise control on and kept my legs as far out the door as I could.

Below are some photos from the ordeal. Sorry about the quality, most are screenshots from a video.

Moral of the story is, check for snakes.

It was probably just trying to eat the fry on the floorboard. Lol

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Man what a story. Thanks for sharing!

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
At first, out of nowhere my dad put his legs out the door and started freaking out. So being a good son I pull over and he says there was a snake between his legs.
‘Now that’s just bragging right there.:giggle: