Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I bought a roller snatch block from Tractor Supply. It's rated 20,000 and it's got ball bearings in the roller that are greasable. I don't see why it won't work great with synthetic or steel rope.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
So what are you all using for a change of direction with synthetic rope? Just saw this from factor 55 https://factor55.com/product/rope-retention-pulley/

Anyone have any experience with this or something similar? Everything I had is from steel cable so I'm looking at things I need to upgrade
That is a really light, compact, friction pulley ! It's cool that everything can be done with soft shackles, if you have enough of those, you are good to go with synthetic rope...., and they are so easy to pack, and no rattling.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RodRecket

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
yea there seems to be quite a few advantages (creature comforts) with the only downside being cost
That is a really light, compact, friction pulley ! It's cool that everything can be done with soft shackles, if you have enough of those, you are good to go with synthetic rope...., and they are so easy to pack, and no rattling.

Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So in reading the web page description it says that the pulley works with up 1/2" cable. The language makes me think its not ideal for synthetic rope.
It's good for up to 1/2" cable. My 82' rope is 3/8" synthetic. Read your post, and thought about it, but I can't think of a reason how it wouldn't work. The rope won't spin around the pulley when taught like steel does?

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
Normal snatch blocks work fine. What you have to worry about is if you have a used snatch block... look for any burring or surface imperfections on the wheel where the rope rides. If there are none, use it confidently with a synthetic rope. If there are some, smooth them or change the wheel out to avoid damaging synthetic rope.

OP
OP
RodRecket

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Good advice. I will have to give my old snatch block a close inspection. For how often I use it I might just clean it up real good and save my money for other mods. The new gear is nice but sure is expensive and I have a rear bumper to buy.
Normal snatch blocks work fine. What you have to worry about is if you have a used snatch block... look for any burring or surface imperfections on the wheel where the rope rides. If there are none, use it confidently with a synthetic rope. If there are some, smooth them or change the wheel out to avoid damaging synthetic rope.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A interesting U-tube vid on the AL. donut ring... "Snatch block"

It might not be quite as great as some think, but could be good for change of winch line direction. AKA making a 90° turns not a 180° as a snatch block.... Something to think about. I bought one to try out, but I have a few snatch blocks already. I found the video on JL forum so kudo's to it.
Sponsored