First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Time to get a set for making the CHP happy! To protect alloy wheels, I went to the cable style back in the late 90's. Used them a couple of times but mostly they were for pointing at to get past the nanny state on a snowy road. They seemed to work OK.

Went back to chain style for the H2, never used them but holy hell they are heavy for larger tires!

Since they have chain type for alloy wheels now, is there any reason to choose them over the cable type? This is "California snow" which is for visiting, not "I live in the Midwest and I use chains to get to my mailbox".
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have a set I bought for my SuperDuty, with 265/70 R17 tires, and they fit like a glove on the 245/75 R17 Jeep tires.
The chains are a conventional link design. But I end up using them (albeit infrequently) in the mountain passes in WA.
If yours are mostly just to show the CHP, I see no reason not to stick with the cable chains.

Kevin

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Thanks for the context;

The Jeep crew at work are all going to play in the snow 1/02/21 and the Feds require chains at the stops on the way to the NF. We NEVER have occasion to chain up when we can air down. It's just not that kind of weather.

I have a set I bought for my SuperDuty, with 265/70 R17 tires, and they fit like a glove on the 245/75 R17 Jeep tires.
The chains are a conventional link design. But I end up using them (albeit infrequently) in the mountain passes in WA.
If yours are mostly just to show the CHP, I see no reason not to stick with the cable chains.

Kevin

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I get you, heck I've had no problem going over to Reno in a serious snow storm. BUT, the CHP and the National Parks will and do REQUIRE chains regardless of what vehicle you're driving. I've gotten turned back at the Ash Mountain entrance and watched Jeepers get sent down the hill at the Big Stump entrance. Cheap insurance to not ruin a day.

With a Jeep and tires that are stamped with a snow flake I have never had CHP bother with a Jeep about chains

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Couldn't find any cable type chains for 35's, went to the local O'Reilly's after some research and got Laclede 3231R. J###zis they are a heavy PITA. 42lbs of payload up in smoke. Supposedly will fit up to 37's. $120 and I found out the CHP is enforcing the law which changed 1/1/2020 to require proof of chains.
Sponsored