Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hi all, hope a few folks get a chance to read this post.

I purchased a new diesel gladiator with high hopes that it would out perform my Toyota tacoma towing my 2900lb travel trailer (RPOD 179). My hopes were crushed today on its first voyage.

I live in Golden Colorado, and spent an hour this afternoon adjusting my equalizer hitch to sit perfectly on the Gladiator. I made sure the the weights were set perfect, the brake controller was installed correctly, and got everything in check.

Trip Info

Air Temp 86*F

RPOD 179
--Apx 50 sq/ft of frontal area
--2890 ish dry weight; no water loaded, just basic camping gear (call it 250 lbs)
--Equalizer 600lb weight distribution hitch.

It is a 2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
--Empty Bed
--Bag of standard tools (maybe 20 lb)
--1 Human
--Factory setup, no added weight at all.
--Tires set at 39PSI all around (standard 33")

The route was from 6th Ave and Simms in Denver to Evergreen (up the I70 Hill)

I could barely maintain 45-50MPH, that was floored the entire way....
Engine temps were through the roof (IMO), and so were oil temps.
I could actively feel the ECU pull power from the engine as the temps got hot, and it got harder and harder to maintain speed.

Once I got to evergreen the engine quickly cooled off and then ran great.
It's clear to me that Jeep couldn't build sufficient cooling, and handled extended high loads by pulling power from the engine.

DO not buy the diesel gladiator to tow, my 4.0L Tacoma I traded in with lots of extra weight, bigger tires, a lift, tools, etc would do this same route with the same trailer and hitch at 55mph and the temp gauge wouldn't rise at all.

The only positive I see is slightly higher fuel mileage. (This same route on my tacoma would be 7mpg, the jeep did 13.5)
I don't think it makes sense to take it to the dealer, as it didn't overheat, and it didn't have any 'problems' per say; it is just weak.

I really wish I could just take my tacoma back.... pay a small fee for the few days of rental, and be on my way.

Again DO NOT buy the diesel thinking it will tow up hills better than your Tacoma. It will not.

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. IMG_1923

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. 64739200080__68BD4191-66C0-4711-84FE-824ECE3DF033
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I guess, that was more of a rant, but is there anything I can do to improve cooling? As I suspect that is the main issue here.

As a bit more context flat land it tows great and there is plenty of power.... It's just extended up hill climbs where it just falls apart....

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Doesn't the gas engine have a higher tow rating? Sounds like you should have gotten a max tow or a gas Rubicon. You can probably still trade it in for one, and make money, the way trade-ins are right now!

Last edited:

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
I'm curious if a coolant additive like wetter water would help? Or perhaps there will an aftermarket upgraded radiator in the near future.

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Mine gets hot too on steep grades but i am towing way more . My camper is a 20 foot nobo that is 24 feet long and is 5k lbs louded . Also way more truck weight 4 people and a need full . On a scale i was about 11500 loaded . Also i did have to floor it on a couple steep grades but it maintained 75 mph and i am on 37s . Also look into the banks daringer for a good upgrade option , i do not have it yet

20210514_125630.jpg

Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Wow šŸ˜® that coolant temp thatā€™s pretty hotā€¦ same with oil temp, idk, I have heard of cooling issues on the diesels not sure the exact fix for it, Iā€™m sure it has been discussed on this forum

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine gets hot too on steep grades but i am towing way more . My camper is a 20 foot nobo that is 24 feet long and is 5k lbs louded . Also way more truck weight 4 people and a need full . On a scale i was about 11500 loaded . Also i did have to floor it on a couple steep grades but it maintained 75 mph and i am on 37s . Also look into the banks daringer for a good upgrade option , i do not have it yet

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. 20210514_125630
Is yours gas or diesel?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
as stated before the motors are pretty tight new. my MPG only started to get up to 24/26 after i crested 1000 miles. Looks like you only have 400ish miles. Put 2000 miles on it and if it still sucks buy something else.

also keeping you foot on the floor when in limp isn't great or foot to the floor the whole time you are driving isn't great. When you have it pinned you are basically in the turbo the whole time or asking it to be, when at full boost heat builds quick. You need to modulate your power demands and temper your expectations. You can't be in max boost all the time, it will over heat, the ford eco boost is the same, even trying to pin a NA gas motor at 5000 rpms up a hill will over heat. Making any motor work hard for long periods will cook it. Get a bigger motor if you want to race up a hill towing at 80.

When a diesel goes to limp it usually to save the EGR system, those system can see 1200 degrees if worked hard, and bad things happen to those systems if held there to long.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
Anything blocking the intercooler or any after market mods on the front?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow šŸ˜® that coolant temp thatā€™s pretty hotā€¦ same with oil temp, idk, I have heard of cooling issues on the diesels not sure the exact fix for it, Iā€™m sure it has been discussed on this forum
I was thinking more of the oil temp - very close to the breakdown point of some oils. Coolant temp - yeah, that's pushing it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Interesting how there are such varied experiences towing with the diesel.
Sponsored