First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
When I see people driving around without a RTT, I secretly laugh at myself knowing they’re not wasting extra gas money like I am. (Sarcasm)

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
When I see people driving around without a RTT, I secretly laugh at myself knowing they’re not wasting extra gas money like I am.
The only decision I will ever make based on mileage is going on a super long trip, if the truck will require me to go slower AND make more stops than my little sedan then I take the sedan. Otherwise to hell with mileage!

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
The only decision I will ever make based on mileage is going on a super long trip, if the truck will require me to go slower AND make more stops than my little sedan then I take the sedan. Otherwise to hell with mileage!
Yeah I am down to like 14 MPG I think with my tent and bigger tires. RIP Environment.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Sleep in the bed of the truck. Under the topper, over the stuff. But this is totally dependant on the trip and whosn going and for what.

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I like the idea of RTTs, but between the cost, weight, and the fact that a lot of camping sites, especially back-county sites, have the parking area away from the camping area. Not that it matters to me because as I've gotten older and softer, I now tow my house travel-trailer with me wherever I go.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Some people do not like to climb down a narrow little ladder at 2am to pee.

I am a little tired of sleeping on the ground so we putting a topper on it and outfitting it to sleep in the back. An easy exit out the tailgate with the DAC extender on it.

Sponsored

Loosescrews

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR
Because I sometimes camp in the same spot several nights and don’t want to have to put away and then set up all of my sleeping gear over and over. Also, as mentioned above, climbing up and down a ladder to pee is better left for kids in bunk beds, not sleepy ass half drunk 43 year olds.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
My major reasons:

1. Cost

2. Space - We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) and even the larget RTT would be cramped and usable only for sleeping. Our 10x10 ground tent is a palace. In the event of rain or other weather we can very comfortably spend hours inside of the tent with plenty of room to stand up, bring in chairs, etc.

3. Easy to leave a full campsite set up and then drive away in the vehicle to go offroading, get groceries, pick someone up quickly at a trailhead, etc.

4. No heavy/bulky rtt mounted to the roof or above the bed to affect handling, mileage, ability to haul stuff.

5. Leaves the roof of the vehicle open to haul other gear....specifically our kayaks.

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
So I see a optional PORCH on the next upgraded model.....just be careful of your sleeping neighbor, down stairs

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The pros and cons have been mostly covered. Let me add some random thoughts from my experiences as a "ground tenter".
  • After running the WABDR a few years ago, upon the return I passed through UT to met a friend who hired a professional film crew to make an advertisement for his business. We camped one night in the Dixie National Forest. There were five rigs, and I was the only one with a ground tent. Everyone else had trailers with RTTs. Just for grins we had a bit of a race to see which was quickest. Essentially, all tents were set up and sleeping gear made ready within one minute of each other. And while I was by myself, hey all had two people in their rigs working on the setup. For the record, I use an MSR Hubba Hubba backpacking tent, Montbell Down Hugger sleeping bag, and Therm-a-rest three-quarter backpacking pad. It all fits into one crag bag which small enough for airline carry-on. I haven't weighed it, but it is easily less than ten pounds. Here's a shot of us along Burr Trail in Waterpocket Fold, Capitol Reef National Park earlier that day ...
    Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? WABDR, Jul 15, 5_1295, Jeeps on Burr Trail

• While exploring The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park a couple years ago, we camped one night at Cleopatra's Chair. The winds were extraordinarily high--I'd guestimate 50 MPH or more. My buddy and I were sharing a four person backpacking tent of his. It took four of us (there were three vehicles) to set up our tent. And the winds that night would tear it up--enough that it needed return to the factory to repair damaged poles and torn fabric. The other two fellows, traveling in a full-size GMC truck with a RTT would get their tent up despite the winds. It would survive the night undamaged. If you're interested, here's video of that (skip to 6:48) ...

• Being my age with a history of an enlarged prostate, I get up several times at night to go pee. The thought of climbing up and down a ladder makes an RTT a non-player for me. You'll be delighted to know I have no photos or videos of that. ;-)

• While camped in Oregon for the solar eclipse, there were several folks who had brought RTTs. Because the entire area was slammed with folks out to see the eclipse, you didn't dare pull up camp hoping to return to it later that day. We had planned several days of runs along the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route, but those folks with RTTs were stuck at camp.

• Carrying my gear in my Gladiator for an overlanding run, I typically get 18+ MPG on 35 inch tires at Interstate speeds. Even my Wrangler, which is lucky to get 15 MPG, I still don't need gas when those folks pulling trailers are asking to stop for it. On top of that, when off-road on more challenging sections, trailers tend to slow things down. If interested, here's a teaser in Colorado including on Blanca Peak on what we believe is the only time trailers have been hauled up it. Blanca Peak is during the first five minutes of the teaser. The full video series is online ...

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Those RTT tents are really cool, but, once you put that rack with the tent up high with all that weight, your center of gravity goes up and the truck is now an "Overlander". It really is a commitment. I want to keep mine as just a 4wheeler, ie. going fast through the dunes, etc.. So, I will still use a ground tent.
Sponsored