Sponsored

Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way?

ScottV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
This question came up in a separate thread, and got a couple useful replies (thanks!), but I think it deserves its own thread:

You can open the Sunrider top without removing the rear window and quarter panels; I've done it and taken it on a few short, low-speed rides, and a couple others (on a different thread in this forum) also say it's OK. I'd like some definitive advice on whether we should drive around with it like that, and if so, are there any maximum speed guidelines. A couple items in favor of doing it:

1) I contacted my dealer, and they got back to me with "we don't see why it would be a problem", so that's encouraging.
2) It doesn't seem like it would generate much (if any) more pressure on the rear window than driving with all 4 windows down, but the top closed, which we're obviously able to do.

A couple points against it:

1) The user guide, under "lowering the soft top", says it includes removing the window and quarter panels first (but it doesn't really describe anything specific that might go wrong if you don't, like damage to the retainers, for example?).

2) The full owners manual (which I found on this forum, still not available online via my Jeep owners account), on p. 104, says: "Do not lower the top with the windows installed. Window and top damage may occur." I suspect this may be a leftover from when they clearly did a "copy & paste" of the Wrangler owners manual and maybe forgot to change this, but still, it's in the manual. (Though I found some other Wrangler "leftovers" in that manual.)

Has anyone heard anything definitive from Jeep on this? Or maybe have a more up-to-date owners manual that says something? I worry about potential damage to the retainers for the rear window/quarter panels.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
This question came up in a separate thread, and got a couple useful replies (thanks!), but I think it deserves its own thread:

You can open the Sunrider top without removing the rear window and quarter panels; I've done it and taken it on a few short, low-speed rides, and a couple others (on a different thread in this forum) also say it's OK. I'd like some definitive advice on whether we should drive around with it like that, and if so, are there any maximum speed guidelines. A couple items in favor of doing it:

1) I contacted my dealer, and they got back to me with "we don't see why it would be a problem", so that's encouraging.
2) It doesn't seem like it would generate much (if any) more pressure on the rear window than driving with all 4 windows down, but the top closed, which we're obviously able to do.

1) The user guide, under "lowering the soft top", says it includes removing the window and quarter panels first (but it doesn't really describe anything specific that might go wrong if you don't, like damage to the retainers, for example?).

2) The full owners manual (which I found on this forum, still not available online via my Jeep owners account), on p. 104, says: "Do not lower the top with the windows installed. Window and top damage may occur." I suspect this may be a leftover from when they clearly did a "copy & paste" of the Wrangler owners manual and maybe forgot to change this, but still, it's in the manual. (Though I found some other Wrangler "leftovers" in that manual.)

Has anyone heard anything definitive from Jeep on this? Or maybe have a more up-to-date owners manual that says something? I worry about potential damage to the retainers for the rear window/quarter panels.

Thanks!
We do it in the JL soft tops all the time, even on the highway. It will not damage the vehicle. I would say that the JT Soft top seems sturdier because it has less top to support. My experience with the one I was able to take home for the night, it was fine at 60 mph with the windows still on.

Col C

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow

Thanks!
I haven't retracted the top without first removing the rear window and panels, but will run a test this weekend and report back (weather permitting).

Col C

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I haven't retracted the top without first removing the rear window and panels, but will run a test this weekend and report back (weather permitting).
Did fine driving 50 mph with the back window in and the top retracted. Got just a touch of window movement at 55, but no issues. Didn't wind up going any faster than that on my back road excursions.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Did fine driving 50 mph with the back window in and the top retracted. Got just a touch of window movement at 55, but no issues. Didn't wind up going any faster than that on my back road excursions.
No issues . . . YET ! . . . boy I can just see it now . . . the poor guy behind you getting a windshield full of another rear window, SMACK, ugh, that was costly . Why take a chance ? hell if your gonna go "Bold Naked," might as well not be shy about it and go Full Bore Bad Ass . . . nuts flapping in the wind ?

Last edited:

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Comanche, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2008 Jeep WK 3.0crd
Occupation
Card-Player
Hijacking but not here....

In the soft top kit I have two velcro straps and two elastic loops with a snap on one end. I noticed the Male snap on either side of the rear soft top window. Is this to imply it is like the old TJ and YJ rear window where I can just roll it up and leave the sides in place??

Cant find much info for midway setups of the soft top.....yet.

Been a while since Ive had topless jeeps.... my other is a comanche so no fancy features.

Makes me regret not coughing up the extra 200 for the special bag for the rear window.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney

In the soft top kit I have two velcro straps and two elastic loops with a snap on one end. I noticed the Male snap on either side of the rear soft top window. Is this to imply it is like the old TJ and YJ rear window where I can just roll it up and leave the sides in place??

Been a while since Ive had topless jeeps.... my other is a comanche so no fancy features.

Makes me regret not coughing up the extra 200 for the special bag for the rear window.
I think the bag is only $75. I ordered one. I'm not really sure what the bag even looks like, though.

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Comanche, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2008 Jeep WK 3.0crd
Occupation
Card-Player
I think the bag is only $75. I ordered one. I'm not really sure what the bag even looks like, though.
Damn.... in Canada I was quoted much more.

OP
OP
ScottV

ScottV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S

I can't figure out what those elastic loops are for either ... neither could the salesman at the dealer. They were in my glove box along with the 2 velcro straps. Where did you see the male snaps? I couldn't find any; could that be because I have soft top only (no hardtop)? Anyone know what these are for? Maybe for Wrangler but mistakenly put in Gladiator? I've attached a pic.
IMG_20190716_143028.jpg

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator

Thanks!
At at guess I can think of two possible reasons why the windows should be removed first.

One is it depends on how soft and pliable the top is when you are putting it down. I have put my top down when it was in the 30s and snowing at Moab, at 6AM knowing it would be quite warm by afternoon on the trail. Everything is stiff then.

Second is the plastic windows become cloudy over time, folding them hastens the process but cleaning them with Pledge seems to help

Otaypankey

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver JTR, 2015 Mercedes Benz E550 Cabriolet, 2020 BMW R1250 RT
Do you have a mopar part number for the soft top storage bag?

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney

JS2

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Bright White Soft Top, '15 Honda Odyssey, '97 Wrangler Sport (Retired 2010)

Thanks!
I have been playing around with this too. My commute to work is mostly back roads and speeds less than 50. It seems fine to have the soft top down and back panel in for this. However, I am afraid to do it this way on the highway or speeds above 50. I feel that would have too much pressure on the back panel.