Soft top latch is loose

jpelliott10

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU, 2020 Gladiator
Any way to tighten the latch? Driver's side is extremely loose compared to passenger side. It has popped open a few times driving on the highway. Freaks me out everytime!
IMG_20191105_171604.jpg
IMG_20191105_171558.jpg
Sponsored

Sponsored

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Any way to tighten the latch? Driver's side is extremely loose compared to passenger side. It has popped open a few times driving on the highway. Freaks me out everytime!
IMG_20191105_171604.jpg
IMG_20191105_171558.jpg
Mine is too!

@JeepCares , do you have any information on soft tops spontaneously opening at highway speeds?

I was driving my JT into a 40-45mph wind while I was traveling ~70mph, and twice, the driver side of the soft top became unlatched, startled me pretty good the first time it happened. The second time, I was passing a semi -- darn near caused me to veer into the semi!

Anyone have a fix? I posted the same issue in a Gladiator owner group on facebook. Someone there said they had the issue -- the dealer replaced the latch, and fixed the issue.

I'm due for my 5,000 mile oil change -- I'm taking it in this week. I'll report back when I know more...

Seriously, this could cause a horrible accident!!!!!

DDuran772

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Mine is too!

@JeepCares , do you have any information on soft tops spontaneously opening at highway speeds?

I was driving my JT into a 40-45mph wind while I was traveling ~70mph, and twice, the driver side of the soft top became unlatched, startled me pretty good the first time it happened. The second time, I was passing a semi -- darn near caused me to veer into the semi!

Anyone have a fix? I posted the same issue in a Gladiator owner group on facebook. Someone there said they had the issue -- the dealer replaced the latch, and fixed the issue.

I'm due for my 5,000 mile oil change -- I'm taking it in this week. I'll report back when I know more...

I took it to the dealership for my first oil change... the advisors had a similar situation so they were familiar with it. They ordered me a new latch and replaced it. According to them there is no adjustment to them and since itā€™s under warranty itā€™s easier to just change it out.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
mine has not loosened up... hope it stays tight. I think I prefer the older version. This latch seems counter intuitive to me.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Mine is too!

@drBassman,
We certainly agree that this is concerning- have you brought this to the attention of your dealer yet? Feel free to reach out to us privately for additional support in resolving this.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Tgp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
@drBassman,
We certainly agree that this is concerning- have you brought this to the attention of your dealer yet? Feel free to reach out to us privately for additional support in resolving this.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Iā€™ve had this problem since delivery in June. Heading to dealer for second time as the latches seem to be getting worse. Dealer mentioned possible top replacement but reading posts may be just latch replacement. Iā€™ll post end result when dealt with.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Iā€™ve had this problem since delivery in June. Heading to dealer for second time as the latches seem to be getting worse. Dealer mentioned possible top replacement but reading posts may be just latch replacement. Iā€™ll post end result when dealt with.
We would certainly be happy to offer supplemental support if needed. Please keep us informed on the outcome of your appointment!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Mine was the passenger side, my dealer said they adjusted it, it seems tighter now but they still seem to open pretty easily. if it happens again Iā€™ll Ask for replacement latches. Mine is the premium softop are the rest of yours that one or the base top?

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2011 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (sold), 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (sold), 1997 TJ Sport (sold), 1981 Grand Wagonner lifted with w/ 35" BFG (sold), 1973 Cadillac Eldorado, 2012 Moomba Mojo
Occupation
Urban Planner
I just had this happen on the weekend. Picked up the JT with dual tops last week of July and got around to installing the soft top the first week of August. I noticed that the drivers latch did not have much tension on it, and kept my eye on it for the first little while.

I had no issues until this past weekend driving at about 100km/h into a very strong and gusty headwind and all of a sudden the drivers latch flipped open and soft top started to lift up.

Just made that appointment with my dealer.

jteris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I had mine into the dealership today for something else but had my softop open twice on the highway.

They adjusted the clasps, said they were way out of alignment.
Sponsored