Soft Top Pop

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So this evening have experienced a first with the truck which appears to be coming from the soft top. About 4 times today there has been a loud pop sound from the top. Its almost as if someone is slapping their hand or something on the soft top. Its not windy and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why or when it happens. We were driving to Galveston and it made the noise about 4 times. I was baffled at what was causing it.
I looked at the top and there does not appear to be anything wrong with it that I can tell.
Guess will see if it continues making the noise but figured I would check if anyone else with the soft top has experienced this.
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be while you're either behind or passing/being passed by a semi truck? The turbulence they cause at highway speed could be making the fabric slap and make a loud sound. I've had something similar happen a few times with my Bestop Sunrider.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I experience it with my TJ (yes - I know...apples/oranges). It needs specific conditions - kinda like a double bounce on a trampoline.

I don't have a soft top on the JT, but with the TJ, if I keep the blower (heat/ac) on at least level 2, it puffs the top enough where it doesn't happen too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i've narrowed it down to the Right side middle area.

Sponsored

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
Mine does it when I meet a large truck and there’s strong wind. It happens so infrequently, not really a concern for me.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After more time I still haven't come up with anything firm but I am going on best info and assumption that its just the top has stretched some and is looser now (If that is possible) and certain angles of the wind or perhaps change in pressure causes it to make popping sound
Sponsored