Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Hi all
just installed my soft top on my gladiator. All went smooth except rear window panel. What a pita. No exaggerating , had to jump in bed and stretch it to fit On sides. And that was numerous attempts. has anyone else had this issue, or does the top just have to “stretch over a few days”. Checked this morning and it’s still tight as hell. Don’t dare attempt to remove it. Is this the norm or could there be a issue . Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hi all
just installed my soft top on my gladiator. All went smooth except rear window panel. What a pita. No exaggerating , had to jump in bed and stretch it to fit On sides. And that was numerous attempts. has anyone else had this issue, or does the top just have to “stretch over a few days”. Checked this morning and it’s still tight as hell. Don’t dare attempt to remove it. Is this the norm or could there be a issue . Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.
I just put mine on a few days ago. I left the top and rear window in the sun for a while. They were hot to the touch, and it still was not that easy to get the bottom edge of the rear window in. I already took the rear window out once and put it back in, but, it was still pretty warm. I can imagine it being pretty hard to get that bottom edge in when the window and top are cold., but, I am sure it will loosen up. The overall fit and tightness is much appreciated so far. No flapping or noise on the fwy.

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I just put mine on a few days ago. I left the top and rear window in the sun for a while. They were hot to the touch, and it still was not that easy to get the bottom edge of the rear window in. I already took the rear window out once and put it back in, but, it was still pretty warm. I can imagine it being pretty hard to get that bottom edge in when the window and top are cold., but, I am sure it will loosen up. The overall fit and tightness is much appreciated so far. No flapping or noise on the fwy.
the sides are the issue for me. One side is easy , opposite is a horror. Bottom was cake. Hopefully we get some sun and it improves . Not ready to fight it just yet!

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
It should stretch out leave it in in the sun for a few days.. also if you are having trouble with the bottom, release the latches that should give you a little extra slack to get it snapped it.

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
It should stretch out leave it in in the sun for a few days.. also if you are having trouble with the bottom, release the latches that should give you a little extra slack to get it snapped it.
im hoping the sun does the trick , if not I’ll look like this

EF8AE993-670F-4802-937B-028CF41809C2.jpeg

Sponsored

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Just installed mine tonight and had the same issue on the sides and I also experienced it with the bottom flap.

It was windy and in the 40s here. I got my heat gun out and safely warmed up the sides and bottom. That worked. It still took a ton of effort. I’m optimistic that when I get to let it out in the sun for a while, that will help. I’ll try and report back after a little bit to compare my experience with others.
Overall, I love the look and I’m so excited about the ease of getting the full open experience!

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Just installed mine tonight and had the same issue on the sides and I also experienced it with the bottom flap.

It was windy and in the 40s here. I got my heat gun out and safely warmed up the sides and bottom. That worked. It still took a ton of effort. I’m optimistic that when I get to let it out in the sun for a while, that will help. I’ll try and report back after a little bit to compare my experience with others.
Overall, I love the look and I’m so excited about the ease of getting the full open experience!
i feel better that I’m not alone. I thought maybe I screwed up the install in some way. I’m in New York. So weather still sucks. Hoping that the sun will do the trick. The top looks better than what I expected. And it looks better with the top back than I expected. Pictures do it no justice. I just wished the top would go all the way back like the JL. I get that the engineers didn’t want to obstruct the view, but that’s what the rear camera is for. let me know how it goes and thanks for the reply .

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
first time was a pain in the a$$.
second went better.
I'm sure it will loosen as time goes by and the weather changes

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
first time was a pain in the a$$.
second went better.
I'm sure it will loosen as time goes by and the weather changes
I’m crossing my fingers!

Sponsored

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I haven't yet taken the back window out, but I was starting to this morning... holy cow, it's just as hard to undo. I decided not to bother with it right now because I didn't have time to mess with getting it back in, should I be able to take it apart right now.

Any suggestions from other folks on the order of operations for taking the soft top a part? I thought it was to loosen back window bottom, then the back window sides, and lastly the side panels.

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I’m not ready to undo it either. Next week looks like the sun will come out. I believe sides first, then bottom. Time will tell for me.

OP
OP
Angler3

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Still waiting for the right time for the first attempt!
next week looks promising with the weather warming in NY!
Finally!

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Still waiting for the right time for the first attempt!
next week looks promising with the weather warming in NY!
Finally!
I’ve been busy so I haven’t reported back... Just the other day, it warmed up enough that I took the top completely off. The weather was somewhere between 65-70, and it was easy taking everything apart. Thank goodness!

Also, I read in another thread how easy it is to take the soft top completely off by removing the two bolts on top. In total, it took me six minutes to get everything completely off. It only took six minutes to put everything back together. The soft top is proving to be worth it.

Good luck with yours when the weather warms up! I think you’ll be happy with it.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
mine has been easy since I bought it in August
mine also has been easy since I bought it in August , 10. The trick is remembering which end peice is L and R. I markedmine. As you get used to it and it breaks in, I think you will appreciate it over the YJ and TJ zippers. I don't know how thw JKs were for rear windows.
Sponsored