Sponsored

Soft top vs Hard Top noise

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I have been considering a Gladiator for a while.
I currently own a Wrangler JL 2 door with the hard top as when I demoed both the hard top was noticeably quieter.
I like the hard top, but miss the easy/quick opening of a true soft top and thinking I may go that route with a Gladiator.

I have done a couple of demo drives now with Gladiators and it seems like there is not a big difference in noise between the hard & soft tops.
I have to assume the configuration of the Gladiator vs the Wrangler (particularly the 2 door) results in less flapping and more isolation from road noises.
Unfortunately I have only had one opportunity to check them both at true highway speeds/conditions, though I did get them up around 60 or so on other demos

Does this jive with others impressions of the 2 tops or did I just get lucky with the conditions where the soft top was so quiet?
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have both tops and have driven my JT with both options. The soft top is a bit louder when on the freeway and traveling at higher speeds or if its really windy but for me it is not that much of a difference. Certainly not enough for me to give up the ability to lower the top in a flash. I have no issues making calls using the built in uconnect system. Even my family does not find the difference that much. You might have to get used to a bit of popping in windy conditions after the top stretches out a bit or perhaps that is just my top. Only other issue might be if you have image issues like some folks do and the bun on the top will bother you

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Just buy the hard top and get the soft top replacement for the front freedom panels like Rob Motive.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
factually this idea of soft top being louderhas been dispelled in another thread by a dude with a dbl meter... yawn...

Sponsored

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
i don't know about soft top vs hard but I can say with my Sunrider installed vs Freedom panels it is noticeably louder especially above 50. That said I love the Sunrider and still consider it my best mod.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there are a group of folks who believe the earthis flat... and despite actual definitive fact that prove otherwise.. they say it is fake... and choose to believe in their fabricated world view... hmmm...

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What do you mean it ain't flat. How do you explain gravity pulling us down instead of in a circle?

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Hardtop is quieter, especially in windy conditions....that said they are both loud on the highway , get whatever you prefer and enjoy.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Damn it, when I make up my mind don't confuse me with facts.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that the hard top is a bit more quiet and less susceptible to wind buffeting on hwy, but a properly fitted soft top is not noisy. plus not a single leak. I do not notice it being colder thsn my jku hardtop in winter. I am happy with the premium soft top year round... in Illinois winter and summer. It all comes down to personal choice.

Reactions: BAT

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Was given a 2020 JLU twill soft top loaner while they worked on my JT. Didn't think it was loud at all. Put several hundred Interstate miles on it.

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
I driven a softtop and hardtop gladiators. To be honest I don’t notice the noise different in city driving. As for highway driving yes it’s louder.
Gotta love the fact I can open and close the top anytime and anywhere I go in a few seconds.

E628736D-60DC-4029-B31A-2A3E4C5575BB.jpeg

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I like the soft top but there weren't any to be found locally. Oh well. Guess I'll wait for a sunrider.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Around here where the speed limits are 60mph I barely noticed a difference when test driving a 2021 w/ hardtop over my soft top, but above 75-80 it’s a night and day difference.
Sponsored