Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Hi,

My goal is to setup a solar panel to help run a mini fridge. The fridge I am looking at purchasing is 45 watts - I am hoping I can run a 50 watt solar panel to help keep my car battery near topped off - I am a bit new to electrical, so I am learning as I go and I am not sure 50 is enough, as I doubt I'll hit 50 based on where I live / camp along with the panel not giving 100%.

Why do I want to run a 50 watt panel? Size. I do not plan on having the panel attached to my vehicle 24/7, I would simply bring it out when we are stationary and plug it in. My goal would be to keep it stored when not camping.

Would a 50 watt panel help keep my car battery topped off, or would I need to go for a 100 watt?
Sponsored

bryanle1

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming you won't be running the fridge all the time and only during trips? If you want to make it portable, why not run a portable battery pack? I did that on my recent trip, running a Dometic CFW40w, on a 768Wh portable battery, and it lasted the entire trip, 5 days.

OP
OP
NHyde

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm assuming you won't be running the fridge all the time and only during trips? If you want to make it portable, why not run a portable battery pack? I did that on my recent trip, running a Dometic CFW40w, on a 768Wh portable battery, and it lasted the entire trip, 5 days.
Correct, only on trips.
I like the idea of a battery pack but a secondary battery is $400+ - a 50 watt solar panel and box is like $100

OP
OP
NHyde

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Real life expect about 1/2 the rated output of a solar panel.
Thanks, and yeah, this is what my research is telling me too, looks like I need to go a little bigger.

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Keep in mind too the hours of good sun you can actually capture. Six hours of optimum capture is doing pretty good. Power drops off with the sun low in the sky and shading in your campsite. A benefit of a non mounted set up is you can shuffle it around for better results and get it out of the nice shady area you picked to camp in.

OP
OP
NHyde

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Keep in mind too the hours of good sun you can actually capture. Six hours of optimum capture is doing pretty good. Power drops off with the sun low in the sky and shading in your campsite. A benefit of a non mounted set up is you can shuffle it around for better results and get it out of the nice shady area you picked to camp in.
Yup, I think I have settled on the following panel setup; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQBMBTX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A29LE5KYGBHS77&psc=1

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
@NHyde I ran an 80W hood solar on my FJ to keep the dual batteries topped off with my ARB 50QT... it was plenty.

I plan on doing the same with the JTR but unfortunately the power bulge hood limits us to 30-40W panel size.

Jeep Gladiator Solar Panel Size for Fridge 1611166730581

Jeep Gladiator Solar Panel Size for Fridge 1611166821680

PXL_20201122_154306750.jpg

PXL_20201122_154330425.jpg

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Would it be hard to mount a solar panel above your rear roof panel? You could incorporate it into a rail mounted roof rack for wheeling trips and store it in your attic when you are in town. Be sure to include an Anderson disconnect for easy removal and installation. 5 minutes on or off so you can remove at hotels on trips. Good position for Sun exposure and centrally located for front or rear dual battery. 10 ga wiring should handle a 100W panel easily and there is room on the roof if you aren't already using it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NHyde

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
@NHyde I ran an 80W hood solar on my FJ to keep the dual batteries topped off with my ARB 50QT... it was plenty.
I was nearly dead-set on the Cascadia 4x4 solution (regular hood, 80watts) but then I sat back and realized that mounting it to my vehicle would not benefit us much, simply due to where we live. We live in Wisconsin and mainly camp in the upper-midwest, which has a plethora of trees. We generally place our vehicle in the shade when camping. So....this means we won't be getting regular benefit for pure sunlight when parked.

Would it be hard to mount a solar panel above your rear roof panel? You could incorporate it into a rail mounted roof rack for wheeling trips and store it in your attic when you are in town. Be sure to include an Anderson disconnect for easy removal and installation. 5 minutes on or off so you can remove at hotels on trips. Good position for Sun exposure and centrally located for front or rear dual battery. 8 ga wiring should handle a 200W panel easily and there is room on the roof if you aren't already using it.
I thought about that too and that was some-what my plan, however, my RTT has a window awning that could obstruct the sun, which goes right over the cab.

The more and more I think a bout this, I think having panels that can be moved on and off is best, so you're solution is basically what I think I need, based on all of the environmental factors.

I really do not want to go w/ a dual battery system - if I am going to go that far, I might as well just get a Jackery 1000 or something similar.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
This is the one that I’m incorporating into my build. It’s Mil Spec and worked very well on our trip to AK this past summer. It’s probably more than you want to spend but I believe it is the best one out there.

https://www.overlandsolar.com/colle...gout-130-solar-charger?variant=31406491074623

Keep in mind that whatever you get you’ll need to get a solar controller (MPPT is preferable) to keep from cooking your battery.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
8 ga. wire for a 10-15 amp load?
I'm not an electrician and was just doing it off the top of my head because I knew it was plenty. I changed the post to 10 ga.
Sponsored