Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I noticed an oil leak around my ignition coils that I presume started since my last oil change (no surface oil upon visual inspection). What can cause this to happen? I'm curious in case it's an operator error and I need to change how I drive after it's fixed.

I don't drive like a banshee. Daily I drive it on several short errands typically 1-5 miles. Every few months I'll take it on a 2-3k mile trip that includes off-road trails, backroads, and plenty of low-range, usually with low payloads.

2020 JTR 3.6l auto 18.5k miles, 35s. It's scheduled to go in for service in 5 days. I'll update this thread with the dealership's findings.

Update: I have the Jeep back from the dealership. The variable valve lift solenoid was leaking and was replaced under warranty.

Jeep Gladiator (SOLVED) Oil Leak Around Ignition Coils 20210928_180923_HDR

Looking down onto one of the ignition coils. Fly for scale.
Jeep Gladiator (SOLVED) Oil Leak Around Ignition Coils 20210928_181154_HDR_2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Recently did a spark plug change on mine and notice the same staining on my valve covers. Best I can tell, it was coming from the camshaft position sensor area that is located 1ea on each valve cover at the far forward position at basically the same level position as the coils are. Was not worth me picking that scab going any further and just cleaned the area and will monitor.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
It's almost certainly not coming from the coil packs themselves. Follow the snail trail to figure out where it's actually coming from. If it's something reasonably accessible, you'll likely be better off just fixing it yourself if it bothers you (would bother me). Dealer probably won't mess with it because it's a "stage one" leak. Worth a try though to at least get the documentation.
Sponsored