Sponsored

SOLVED Rotational creaking that I can't nail down. Video included, any ideas?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Howdy folks, I started noticing a creaking squeal coming from the left front wheel when going very slow which is exacerbated if I slightly rotate the wheel. I initially chalked it up to the new tires squealing clean asphault (under 200 miles on them). I was then able to replicate it on our gravel driveway. I pulled the wheel assuming it was either the pad feelers telling me time to change pads (45-ish k miles and its always burdened with gear and utility trailer runs). The pads look great, dust shields are still in like new shape and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary at all. I even checked the new stick-on weights to make sure they weren't rubbing on the caliper etc. At that point I thought it might just need the lugs re-torqued but no dice.

I then thought maybe my wheel bearing was getting ready to go but their is no detectable play when I attempt to rock the wheel back and forth while in the air. Any ideas? Thankfully Jeep can see me first thing in the morning but now my OCD is driving me nuts...

Here are the symptoms:
- Rotational creaking especially when wheel is cocked a bit.
- Undetectable at speed.
- No real difference if the truck is hot or cold.
- 45k miles.
- Not sure how it could be related but its too coincidental not to mention that I had new tires mounted about 200 miles ago.

Video:

Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Ok after pulling the left front twice I realized that maybe it was the right side throwing the sound over. Sure enough it ended up being this single piece of gravel causing all the racket. The dust shield held it in place.

Jeep Gladiator SOLVED Rotational creaking that I can't nail down. Video included, any ideas? Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 12.31.21 PM

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
wild! glad you figured it out.

I had a VERY similar sounds in 2020 and the dealership ended up replacing all of my rotors and breaks under warranty and the sound went away. Now that its cold the sounds is back. Ill have to take a look and see if I too am carrying some extra weight behind that dust cover.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ok after pulling the left front twice I realized that maybe it was the right side throwing the sound over. Sure enough it ended up being this single piece of gravel causing all the racket. The dust shield held it in place.

Jeep Gladiator SOLVED Rotational creaking that I can't nail down. Video included, any ideas? Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 12.31.21 PM
Fingernails on a chalkboard (anyone here remember those?)
High pitches or frequencies can be directional so it could easily be directed "left" for you to hear on the left side seeing it's on the inside pointed left rather than outside facing right.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Fingernails on a chalkboard (anyone here remember those?)
High pitches or frequencies can be directional so it could easily be directed "left" for you to hear on the left side seeing it's on the inside pointed left rather than outside facing right.
Like when you are in traffic and freak out a little until you realize it's the vehicle nearby with the squeaky wheel and the noise is reflecting off the jersey barrier...😁

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like when you are in traffic and freak out a little until you realize it's the vehicle nearby with the squeaky wheel and the noise is reflecting off the jersey barrier...😁
Yeah - and similar has happened, but it wasn't the jersey barrier -

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I had the exact same problem on my Miata. Luckily, the rotor was harder than the stone-popped it out and back to blissful silence

notoriousms33

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 21 mojave
Howdy folks, I started noticing a creaking squeal coming from the left front wheel when going very slow which is exacerbated if I slightly rotate the wheel. I initially chalked it up to the new tires squealing clean asphault (under 200 miles on them). I was then able to replicate it on our gravel driveway. I pulled the wheel assuming it was either the pad feelers telling me time to change pads (45-ish k miles and its always burdened with gear and utility trailer runs). The pads look great, dust shields are still in like new shape and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary at all. I even checked the new stick-on weights to make sure they weren't rubbing on the caliper etc. At that point I thought it might just need the lugs re-torqued but no dice.

I then thought maybe my wheel bearing was getting ready to go but their is no detectable play when I attempt to rock the wheel back and forth while in the air. Any ideas? Thankfully Jeep can see me first thing in the morning but now my OCD is driving me nuts...

Here are the symptoms:
- Rotational creaking especially when wheel is cocked a bit.
- Undetectable at speed.
- No real difference if the truck is hot or cold.
- 45k miles.
- Not sure how it could be related but its too coincidental not to mention that I had new tires mounted about 200 miles ago.

Video:

Sound familiar?

Sponsored