Sponsored

Something loose inside the driver's door?

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
Every time I hit a sharp bump it sounds like someone put a D-size battery inside my driver's door. When I had it in for the steering box swap they said they checked and couldn't find anything. They blamed in on my after-market running boards which I removed and re-installed to ensure proper fitment...and I still get the noise. I know...I should've driven it with them off. Next I'm going to take the door off and take it for a drive.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
“....said they looked and blamed it on aftermarket....”

I bet you they didn’t look in the door. They saw those steps and said “Blame it on those. NEXT!”

I’d take the door panel apart myself and look for something loose. I can’t imagine it would be easy to mistake a noise right next to you versus something outside and under you.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Even if you removed the door panel, there is another panel that takes up the whole door. I mean maybe you get lucky and it's behind the interior panel, but if it's something from the factory it's likely behind the second panel.

Easier to remove the door and test again. You could even just remove the door and with the help of another 1 or 2 people, give it some shakes or rotate it around and listen for anything inside it.

It's just another panel inside

Jeep Gladiator Something loose inside the driver's door? 1622293455696

OP
OP
Shultz01

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try removing the door and giving it a good shake. Then also driving without the door and see if the issue existing with the door off. If it's gone then I know to tear the door apart.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try removing the door and giving it a good shake. Then also driving without the door and see if the issue existing with the door off. If it's gone then I know to tear the door apart.
I had a similar sound in my door (or in the area of my door). As it turns out the door striker was making the clunking noise. I found a fix on a JL forum (I think).
Just wrapped a few layers of black electrical tape around the truck side hoop and the noise went away.

OP
OP
Shultz01

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
I had a similar sound in my door (or in the area of my door). As it turns out the door striker was making the clunking noise. I found a fix on a JL forum (I think).
Just wrapped a few layers of black electrical tape around the truck side hoop and the noise went away.
My noise turned out to be the light bar mounts. The sound was resonating into the door from the A pillar!
Sponsored