Sound Bar Speaker Replacement

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Seems I have a busted speaker in my sound bar which I need to take a look to confirm but its got that familiar sound when you turn the volume up. Its just the standard factory sound that is with the 7" system.

Money a bit tight are there any decent replacement speakers that don't cost much and are plug and play replacement. Don't really want to do any cutting, etc. Not looking for incredible sound just a good replacement.
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Seems I have a busted speaker in my sound bar which I need to take a look to confirm but its got that familiar sound when you turn the volume up. Its just the standard factory sound that is with the 7" system.

Money a bit tight are there any decent replacement speakers that don't cost much and are plug and play replacement. Don't really want to do any cutting, etc. Not looking for incredible sound just a good replacement.
If it’s still under warranty take it in.

Reactions: BAT

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I used the Kicker 43DSC3504 3-1/2” speakers.
They’re a full range speaker instead of just a tweeter, but they’ll fit in the tweeter spot.
You’ll want to use a pair of the Metra adapters to hook ‘em up.

Kevin

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group

These are from Crutchfield, used the Metra connections .. did have to drill small hole for the screws.. these have 4 not 3 like the factory.. 2 way speakers ..

g068R452N-F.jpg
RetroSound R-452N​
1​
$99.99​

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The only direct fit for the 4" speakers are kicker ks, which are supposed to be a descent upgrade. Almost any 3.5" speaker will swap into 3.5" locations. Tabs will be square vs triangle, but cover should still fit over. Many have used the kicker dart speakers with good results as they are truly plug n play. The rest require Metra adapters, which may come polarity reversed. Best prices I seen were on Amazon. Got my jbl clubs on there for way less than anywhere else, new and unopened. I also did 6.5 components in rear with select increments pods (alpine version so I didn't need to buy extra 3.5 harness for dash speakers)
Jeep Gladiator Sound Bar Speaker Replacement 20221205_233408

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry has done multiple posts on his speaker upgrades, the adapters, etc.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Determine if it’s the 3.5 vs the 4 first. If it’s the little guy my recommendation is replace the upper dash speakers and move the dash to the sound bar.

Also verify it’s not the plastic sound bar rattling on the sport cage. My JLU rattles there at times while my JT never does 🤷🏻‍♂️

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Jerry has done multiple posts on his speaker upgrades, the adapters, etc.
After all my various speaker upgrades and experiments, my reccomendation here is something I've never done or seen done. Bigger is better, but since the tight fit for the 4" precludes many 4" upgrades without cutting, I would buy the best 3.5" you feel comfortable buying and replace all 4 sound bar speakers with that single pair of 3.5" speakers (this will only work on the base system, it will not work on the premium amplified system).

The new speakers will each have a tweeter and a midrange, just like the factory tweeter and mid range pair they are replacing, so you're really swapping 4 for 4. And since the factory speakers are not as good as the after market speakers, why waste the watts to keep them producing their inferior sound.

Regarding the Metra adapters, I found that it's the factory connectors that reverse the speaker wires, not the Metra adapters. All the speakers in the base system have negative polarity, so use the Metra adapters as is to maintain a consistant negative polarity.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it’s still under warranty take it in.
Yea I was thinking that would be a consideration unless
Determine if it’s the 3.5 vs the 4 first. If it’s the little guy my recommendation is replace the upper dash speakers and move the dash to the sound bar.

Also verify it’s not the plastic sound bar rattling on the sport cage. My JLU rattles there at times while my JT never does 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yea that is my plan this weekend when I have bit of time and see if its not something just loose but it sure sounds like its a busted speaker to me. I will take a look at everything and see whats going on

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After all my various speaker upgrades and experiments, my reccomendation here is something I've never done or seen done. Bigger is better, but since the tight fit for the 4" precludes many 4" upgrades without cutting, I would buy the best 3.5" you feel comfortable buying and replace all 4 sound bar speakers with that single pair of 3.5" speakers (this will only work on the base system, it will not work on the premium amplified system).

The new speakers will each have a tweeter and a midrange, just like the factory tweeter and mid range pair they are replacing, so you're really swapping 4 for 4. And since the factory speakers are not as good as the after market speakers, why waste the watts to keep them producing their inferior sound.

Regarding the Metra adapters, I found that it's the factory connectors that reverse the speaker wires, not the Metra adapters. All the speakers in the base system have negative polarity, so use the Metra adapters as is to maintain a consistant negative polarity.
Yea sound likes what Kevin D was mentioning in his post using the Kicker 3.5's

Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this what you all are referring to regarding Metra

Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I used the Metra 72-7902 adapters.
Under $10 at Amazon.

Kevin

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
A screw came loose in mine and was rattling around. Take off the cover and verify everything is good in there.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Yea sound likes what Kevin D was mentioning in his post using the Kicker 3.5's
The difference is I'm saying remove all 4 sound bar speakers, not just the defective pair.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference is I saying remove all 4 sound bar speakers, not just the defective pair.
Yep will do. Would I need to fill those empty spaces where I don't replace speakers with any type of material.
Sponsored