Sponsored

Sound deadening

f2f46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hey everyone-

New member here and taking delivery of my Rubicon in the next few weeks. Will have mopar lift, 35s. Planning for it to be a daily driver, especially with winter weather here in Utah and my other car being RWD.

When I test drove the truck I was impressed with how quiet the ride was and I think it had a lot to do with the stock headliner on the hardtop amongst other things (rear axle under bed not cab, wheelbase, rear suspension geometry, etc). Granted the last jeep i owned was a 2000 TJ with a soft top but I've driven JLs hardtops before and it was a lot better than even those.

I know it's a controversial topic (why would you get a Jeep and worry about road noise) but given that it'll be a daily driver, I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too. I love the truck and will get it regardless. Anyone have good success with wheel well/underbody sprays, soundproofing mats under carpet, etc? Just want to see if there are some easy options available to help with sound and temperature insulation.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does the factory put any sound deadening in the doors? Flat steel panels tend to transmit sounds and vibrate more than curved panels, especially with compound curves. I know doors of old used to have a thick substance sprayed on the interior surface of the outer door skins to act as deadeners.
Floor pans used to be sprayed underneath, too - not sure that they do that any more with the weight considerations but I have specs for some cars as far as there the deadener compound was sprayed for some vehicles (so when restoring we can replicate it almost perfectly)
Dunno if Jeep does any of these things - likely not.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Does the factory put any sound deadening in the doors? Flat steel panels tend to transmit sounds and vibrate more than curved panels, especially with compound curves. I know doors of old used to have a thick substance sprayed on the interior surface of the outer door skins to act as deadeners.
Floor pans used to be sprayed underneath, too - not sure that they do that any more with the weight considerations but I have specs for some cars as far as there the deadener compound was sprayed for some vehicles (so when restoring we can replicate it almost perfectly)
Dunno if Jeep does any of these things - likely not.
There is nothing in the doors or floors. I used SoundSkin Pro (4 roll kit will do it all) in my JT doors (all 4) and floor boards. Lowered about 4 decibels overall on the reading and improved the stereo sound. Put Hushmat and polyfill in the roll bar and that also improved the Alpine Premium stereo sound.

Also noticed an improvement in cab interior insulation or temperature control.

Last edited:

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
+1 for the hotheads headliner with the sound assisin strips. Made a nice difference and is definitely better than the factory option. It is also cheaper as well and very easy to install. Seeing that you’re in Utah I would expect the temps to get pretty low and would recommend the hotheads.

as far as noise is concerned to my mind the biggest issue is the shape of the front windshield. I can hear the wind noise as it wraps around the upper corners at highway speed. Not much you can do about it and I’m fine with that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the hotheads headliner with the sound assisin strips. Made a nice difference and is definitely better than the factory option. It is also cheaper as well and very easy to install. Seeing that you’re in Utah I would expect the temps to get pretty low and would recommend the hotheads.

as far as noise is concerned to my mind the biggest issue is the shape of the front windshield. I can hear the wind noise as it wraps around the upper corners at highway speed. Not much you can do about it and I’m fine with that.
NOW I find out about that headliner - sure, after ordered and arrived............ Iowa - about 0 now - and if the dealer had the truck done I'd be taking it to town today. High yesterday - about 25 here - I'd have driven it then, too, due to the horrible snow and ice and wind.

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
another vote for the hotheads. The install is super easy and they take the edge off the wind noise.

even with the hotheads it feels like to me that the wind noise on the roof/upper body dominates over any road noise, and i have the bfg 35x12.5 ko2's. I can hear the tires now that i have the hotheads installed, but i guess i would question whether its worth messing about inside the doors etc if its not the loudest thing in the cabin.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
another vote for the hotheads. The install is super easy and they take the edge off the wind noise.

even with the hotheads it feels like to me that the wind noise on the roof/upper body dominates over any road noise, and i have the bfg 35x12.5 ko2's. I can hear the tires now that i have the hotheads installed, but i guess i would question whether its worth messing about inside the doors etc if its not the loudest thing in the cabin.
I'll likely put deadener in the doors. Being a life-long mechanic it won't take much - my guess is that this thing is far more simple to get into the guts of than some of the old stuff - and the fasteners won't be stuck or rusty. Torx and pozi-driv are far easier to deal with than the old-style fasteners.
I may contact the hotheads people as they appear to have parts for the roof that the Jeep headliner stuff misses - strips and other parts beyond what Jeep offers.

OP
OP
f2f46

f2f46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There is nothing in the doors or floors. I used SoundSkin Pro (4 roll kit will do it all) in my JT doors (all 4) and floor boards. Lowered about 4 decibels overall on the reading and improved the stereo sound. Put Hushmat and polyfill in the roll bar and that also improved the Alpine Premium stereo sound.

Also noticed an improvement in cab interior insulation or temperature control.
Awesome. How much weight do you think that added? Anything significant?

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link

I am planning to buy a set. What benefit do you experience from the side panels? I think they visually look bad, but am curious of the benefits before I place my order.

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I am planning to buy a set. What benefit do you experience from the side panels? I think they visually look bad, but am curious of the benefits before I place my order.
i installed the full set all at once, so i cant speak to whether the side panels do much on their own. I dont find them to be unattractive installed, they really look stock just like the roof panels.

i mean i love the truck, dont get me wrong, but the fiberglass roof is probably the cheapest looking thing from inside the vehicle. these dont really help that much with that part of it, since you can still see the fiberglass outline. But i dont think it makes it look any worse.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package