Sponsored

Spare tire worth the upgrade?

Upgrading/upgraded spare or keeping stock?

• Total voters

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I bought a 5th matching OEM wheel and mounted the 35" tires that I use. In remote or difficult terrain, I appreciate having an exact replacement. I have had tires completely fail so that no patch or plug would solve the problem. I have also experienced delays in getting a replacement tire, which can complicate travels. Additionally, I do a 5 tire rotation, so I get the full use of all the tires. Well worth it for my situation.
Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Wow 😳 thanks
Question, well actually 2
1. I bought all 5 tires from Discount but my builder put them together and convinced me to add Bead Balancing I. Addition to weights. I have noticed some weights have fallen off but still no indication of vibration. Is this still OK or could this cause issues in the future?
2. When rotating tires do the pressure sensors have to be moved as well? Which means opening the tires ?
1) I would have the balance checked at your next rotation. If you aren't noticing any negative effects right now, it should be OK to wait until then.
2) Make sure to purchase a TPMS sensor for your 5th tire/wheel combo. They will re-learn each sensor for each wheel position after the rotate. They don't "open the tire"

Also for everyone doing 5 tire rotates - Pick a rotation pattern and stick to it. Show the tire store each time and make sure they write it down for the tire tech. I've found out the hard way that Discount doesn't follow any set 5 tire pattern and each visit may be different. Even after discovering this and showing them what I wanted, it was dismissed and they messed up the rotation. I now am adamant about showing them a picture and making sure they write it down.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I've always rotated all five tires, so I swapped the wheel. It was $280 OTD at the dealer, done in 15 minutes while I waited. The spare tire is full size and I'm keeping the stock tire size at least until they wear out.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
Don't forget to factor in Tire Rotation.

Definitely worth it if you follow a 4 tire w/spare rotation.
TIRE.ROTATION3.3.jpg
Absolutely agree with @Nitroexpress that it's easy for a tire guy to screw it up so it needs to be written down [preferably drawn, as reading comprehension on some is lacking].

For this reason alone I do the rotations myself. I absolutely go crazy when anything gets over torqued and every single dealership and tire place seems to do it.

If the vehicle runs straight and true after rotation and no wheel runs out of balance [have a friend drive the vehicle and follow on your Harley to check] then I'm good to go.

If things aren't right then I have a local guy who balances and realigns.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
I found a factory take off wheel on E bay. I intend to do 5 tire rotation, also, my spare is in the bed , salt and sand in Maine winters ruin everything mounted underneath. I also plan to have a bed rack of some sort, and will also have a mount that is more secure

Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For those who matched to spare do you rotate it into the tire rotation pattern? Installed a tpms?

NYC-4X4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JT Past: 97 ZJ, 14 JKU, 18 WK2
I've got a new question. I plan to get a cheap 35" to throw on the steel spare. In case I need it, I have it, but think the matching fifth tire and wheel is overkill for my needs. Anyway, if one of my tires becomes unrepairable at 20k+ miles of wear, how do you factor a brand new replacement into the rotation? It could be a 1/4" wider and probably won't look right. Just rotate as normal?

I know my question is solved by a matching 5-tire rotation, but then what if two tires blow, three? How about a 6 or 7 tire rotation? That's my argument against a 5-tire rotation; it only works once.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
For those who matched to spare do you rotate it into the tire rotation pattern? Installed a tpms?
TPMS-yes. The Jeep will pick up the sensor when it starts turning.
Reward Cross rotation as shown in the pics above

gitnit

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
equipment operator
Just curious on how many people plan to or have already upgraded their spare tire with the rest of their wheel setup.

I’m currently stock and trying to decide if it’s actually worth upgrading the spare tire. I plan on upgrading to 35s and if I run a flat I will use the spare only to make it to the tire shop. Most likely will patch.

Yes if you plan or have upgraded your spare.
No if you kept your spare with the donut it came with.
If other, comment if you went a different tire or wheel setup up from the rest of your current setup.
5 tires, 5 wheels in all my upgrades

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The dealer told me the spare had a TPMS and it would just be moved to the new wheel. I hope they didn't lie. I haven't done my first rotation yet.

I've got a new question. I plan to get a cheap 35" to throw on the steel spare. In case I need it, I have it, but think the matching fifth tire and wheel is overkill for my needs. Anyway, if one of my tires becomes unrepairable at 20k+ miles of wear, how do you factor a brand new replacement into the rotation? It could be a 1/4" wider and probably won't look right. Just rotate as normal?

I know my question is solved by a matching 5-tire rotation, but then what if two tires blow, three? How about a 6 or 7 tire rotation? That's my argument against a 5-tire rotation; it only works once.
I've run five tire rotation on my previous two Jeeps, total of about 80k miles. Two full tire changes, and three replacements due to damage on the trail. I just rotated in the replacements except for one, that happened near the end of life of the rest of the set. I waited until two needed replacement, put the spare in and another brand new one. Ran one of the removed ones as spares. Then replaced the next axle pair as it wore out. This let me maximize total tread life. Slight variations in tire wear don't affect anything really.

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Reviving an older thread. I plan to run 37's (12:50 X 17). Will a 37 fit in the spare tire carrier? Can the 37 tire be mounted on the stock Rubi rim if I wanted to save money on not buying a 5th expensive rim? I do not plan on doing any serious rock climbing. Mostly city driving.

TIA.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
You will spend more in the long run by NOT buying a wheel that can be rotated in with the others. You'll be throwing away one tire's life if you don't. And then if you have to use it, the tread height may be uneven with the others.

Msilva

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK
I upgraded the wheel to match. I’ve always preferred a 5 tire rotation. It also keeps me in check making sure the spare it’s not flat. I had that happened to me 30 years ago and learned from the experience
Sponsored