Sport buyers beware - unlocking back doors

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Fyi I just went to a local Jeep dealership that I have been working with. Was wondering how easy or how difficult it is to unlock the back doors of a Wrangler or of a Gladiator equipped with manual locks. It can be done but is a little bit of a pain to do. You open up a front door and then try to reach around to the back door to unlock it. Problem is that the front seat is a little bit in the way. So I tried to just slide the front seat all the way forward, did not help. Easiest way to do it is to recline the front seat all the way back so you can then reach the rear door lock. And by the way you have to unlock the lock so you can then open the door. I tried to just pull on the inside door handle of a back seat with that door locked, does not work. You have to unlock it before the door handle will work. Did not try to recline it all the way forward to the dash, don’t know if you can even do that. And for any driver they may be annoyed to find out that the seat isn’t reclined back exactly the way they had it. So before you order a Sport just know that you are going to have to deal with this little pain in the rear end.
Sponsored

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Fyi I just went to a local Jeep dealership that I have been working with. Was wondering how easy or how difficult it is to unlock the back doors of a Wrangler or of a Gladiator equipped with manual locks. It can be done but is a little bit of a pain to do. You open up a front door and then try to reach around to the back door to unlock it. Problem is that the front seat is a little bit in the way. So I tried to just slide the front seat all the way forward, did not help. Easiest way to do it is to recline the front seat all the way back so you can then reach the rear door lock. And by the way you have to unlock the lock so you can then open the door. I tried to just pull on the inside door handle of a back seat with that door locked, does not work. You have to unlock it before the door handle will work. Did not try to recline it all the way forward to the dash, don’t know if you can even do that. And for any driver they may be annoyed to find out that the seat isn’t reclined back exactly the way they had it. So before you order a Sport just know that you are going to have to deal with this little pain in the rear end.
proximity door unlock for the win!

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Nice option for Overland and Rubicon models, but not available on Sport models.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Puhlease ... It's a point, not a win. Dude had the roof on! And the doors on!
yeah and with the doors and roof on, you can just walk up the car and the doors unlock with proximity option. =)

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
04B8BDF1-F640-4958-B7F5-29A8F48E54C7.jpeg
Hey folks I was just pointing this out as a warning for those thinking of getting a base Sport model. They might not have even thought of this as being a possible issue, a buyers beware kinda thing. I am still thinking of getting a base Sport model but am now straddling a fence. I may opt for a Sport S model. I want to get a Gobi color and that will be a delayed release color. So while I wait for that color to come out I will try out reaching into the back seat of the first Gladiator that I see so I can see for myself if it’s easy or a pain to reach in to unlock a back door. Also want to see if the front seat of a Gladiator reclines all the way forward (like the seat shown in the attached picture does). That would make it super easy to reach in and unlock a back door of a Gladiator Sport that does not have power locks. Would be great if someone could check this at any show and report back.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I read a couple discussions on the wrangler side pertaining to adding power locks to all five doors and it looks like a DIY install is around 250, 3rd party alarm installation company under $500. Seems like it can be done if you want it. Guess we will see the price difference between the JT Sport and Sport S. Guessing it will be the same $2500 as the JL. So a substantial savings if you just want the power locks and not the other goodies

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
I would have considered a base sport for a 2-door wrangler but I think a Sport S is almost required for a 4-door unless you use the back seat only as storage. I also don't like the base radio that is the only option on the base Sport because it doesn't have CarPlay and I wanted the Premium soft top on the Wrangler which wasn't available on the base Sport. Look at the options closely before getting a base sport.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is exactly why I ditched my 2011 JKU in less than twelve months and got a 2012 JKU with the S package.

No power door locks is a P I T A.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Not worth it. Windows too. I want to roll windows up and lock/unlock from the driver's seat. Given the cost of these things, even at base sport level, power door locks and windows required for me.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Who cares? I don't intend of having any reason to go back there. All my tools would be in the bed and I'll have a shelf in the back to hold groceries or other stuff or it can sit in the passenger seat floor.

I don't plan on having company in the back either unless for a trip and the doors will come off at that point. I don't need proximity. I have arms. I can turn a key.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I am not an expert, but it seems like one could also get a mechanical key lock off a parts yard and insert the guts, drill one hole on the driver's side door, have the thing keyed same to have a key lock on driver's rear door. I put stuff there, so that would be something I would add. I will not be adding electronic anything!
Sponsored