Sponsored

Sport - Order of Mods - Wheels/Tires or Suspension?

pluikens

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock Sport with the premium bumper (no air dam). I'd like to get off-road soon so looking to first get som Rubi take-off wheels/tires which I believe are 285/70R17. After adding the take-offs, I'd be looking to go with the Rubicon Express 2.5" lift and aftermarket Fox 2.0 shocks. My priority here is to increase ground clearance for rolling hills on the local off-road runs. After some other mods like rock sliders and LCA skid plates, I plan to upgrade to 35x12.5s on aftermarket wheels. I don't have plans of going bigger than 35s (at least not for several years) as I don't plan to regear. Has anyone upgraded to 33s, then mild lift, then bigger tires and care to share some photos in various states? Thanks!
Sponsored

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm in the position of - I bought 285/75s for my sport when I thought I was going to keep everything stock. Now I have a level kit for front and rear and a Rubi suspension setup waiting to install...but I don't want to put it on until I get my bigger tires in, which I'm waiting on because that's another $1200. I almost say tires first if you have to do things in series. At least then you don't have to buy 2 sets of tires. I wish I would have gone that route.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input @watarski
I would definitely mind the 31s and a 2.5" lift but I don't think I'd mind 33s with a 2.5" lift. I would say my priority is protection first but I don't want to be on the off-road trails with my all-season 31s. Now that snow has fallen and I likely won't be going off-roading too much, I think I'll get my rock sliders, LCA skid plates, hitch skid plate, and Rubi rear bed sliders, keeping the all-seasons which I believe will be good in the snow. Then early next year I can start compiling the spring lift kit, shocks, adjustable trackbars, adjustable front LCAs, and sway bar disconnects. When spring comes I can get my 35s and put them on with the suspension together. I should then be ready to get a little muddy when the snow starts to melt!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Tires and wheels then figure out if you need a lift or not. If your staying 35" or less you want need a lift, and will only need wheel spacers or wheels with more back spacing if you don't have a Max Tow. That's the route I went. Tires the 2nd day lift the 4th day. Then once you get it setting like you like you can throw bumpers and other stuff on. Getting that ride quality right is the most important thing

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Jeeperjamie
This is a bit of a departure from the original post but we're still in the suspension forum...
I never took my previous F-150 off-road more than gravel roads to fishing holes. Other than that, I've owned sedans. These obstacles are at my local off-road park. I want to be able to climb the logs and I'm just curious what you guys think it'd take to get up the rocks in a Gladiator.
Jeep Gladiator Sport - Order of Mods - Wheels/Tires or Suspension? logs.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Sport - Order of Mods - Wheels/Tires or Suspension? rocks.JPG

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Thanks @Jeeperjamie
This is a bit of a departure from the original post but we're still in the suspension forum...
I never took my previous F-150 off-road more than gravel roads to fishing holes. Other than that, I've owned sedans. These obstacles are at my local off-road park. I want to be able to climb the logs and I'm just curious what you guys think it'd take to get up the rocks in a Gladiator.

Appleton, I've climbed up those rocks in my JKUR. With the added length of the JT I'd say 2.5 lift and 35s will make that climb more comfortable than 33s. I will post a pic of my JT Sport S (non max tow 6spd) on a rubi suspension with rubi sized take off tires (33s). So far I've gone through some trails in CO (Imogene pass, Ophir, Engineer) and its done great with some minor rubbing on the rear bumper, LCAs, and rock rails. My plan is also to go 2" of lift and 35s. I've also added front and rear steel bumpers for clearance and protection.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
What kind of rail system you got in the rear? I'm looking for something that's compatible with my soft tri fold bed cover.
I didn't have the trail rail option so I went with this:
https://www.builtrightind.com/jeep-gladiator-products/2020-jeep-gladiator-utility-rail-system

And then added this crossbar system:
https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/jeep-gladiator-hi-rise-crossbars-for-use-with-tonneau-covers

The goal was to have my tent mounted above the bed, below the roof, easily removable, and keep use of my tonneau (which is a roll up). With the knobs I can have the crossmembers off in a minute or so to load something tall, mulch, etc in the bed. Works really well for my needs.
Sponsored