Sponsored

Sport S Max Tow Wheel Specs

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have searched around and found Rubicon information, but what are the wheel specs for the Sport S Max Tow? I am new to wheel and tire changes and looking to go to 33s but want a little better stance.

Without any lift or spacers and going only to a 33, what would y’all recommend for the wheel size and tire to do the better stance?

We are towing whichis why I am not trying to make too much of a change, just a little better look than the Duellers.
Sponsored

chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Wrangler Freedom Edit
Occupation
Sr Quality Manager
Look for a set of Mojave or Rubicon take off wheels and tires, they fit perfect on a max tow. Here's mine after I put Mojave takeoffs on it.

20210703_132820_01.jpg

Last edited:

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Take off wheels are readily available and reasonable. I saw a post where a guy with a max tow went with 255-80-17 Falkens on stock rims. These give you a more aggressive look and 33 inch tires. You should check the weight on any wheels/tires you choose as any weight you add will subtract from your max tow/haul capacity. Add Rubicon wheels/tires and steel bumper and you will reduce the tow capacity to that of a Rubicon.

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
Wheels and tires don’t reduce towing or weight carrying ability’s. They are a rotating mass .usprung mass’s only count towards total gvw. The spring weight Is all that counts(bumper,winches etc)

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take off wheels are readily available and reasonable. I saw a post where a guy with a max tow went with 255-80-17 Falkens on stock rims. These give you a more aggressive look and 33 inch tires. You should check the weight on any wheels/tires you choose as any weight you add will subtract from your max tow/haul capacity. Add Rubicon wheels/tires and steel bumper and you will reduce the tow capacity to that of a Rubicon.
yeah, trying not to do that. Do you think I could get a better look with keeping the 31 size and getting a more aggressive tire and changing the offset in a similar weight wheel? Since the wide axles from the max tow that might help?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheels and tires don’t reduce towing or weight carrying ability’s. They are a rotating mass .usprung mass’s only count towards total gvw. The spring weight Is all that counts(bumper,winches etc)
As you said they do count towards the GVWR which means a larger heavier tire or heavier wheels reduces what payload I can carry because it moves the vehicle closer to the GVWR. A gladiator has 6250 total GVWR. I currently have about 1500 payload. IE if I start with 120 pounds of tires which is part of my sticker curb weight and move to 200 pounds of tires I lose 80 pounds of payload because I move 80 pounds closer to the GVWR, reducing my payload to 1420 which then can affect how much tongue weight I can have since that comes off payload also.

Larger tires also transmit less torque, which affects towing.

Anyway. All that being said I was wondering what the current specs are on the sport max tow wheel and what offset to move to to get a better stance. While Rubi takeoff are nice I would like to get a different set of wheels and probably K02s for better snow performance.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
yeah, trying not to do that. Do you think I could get a better look with keeping the 31 size and getting a more aggressive tire and changing the offset in a similar weight wheel? Since the wide axles from the max tow that might help?
Each of us have opinions about what looks good. IMO 31 inch don’t work for me. For me I like the looks and functionality of 35’s. Keep in mind I haven’t needed the max tow capacity. You have the wide axles and with the Ruby wheels and tire size mentioned before this will give a decent look without compromising a lot of your payload.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I'd just put 285/70R17s on it (factory Rubicon size) and call it a day. If you are concerned that's too big, throw some 255/75R17's on it. That's the factory Willys size, and it slightly larger than the Sport S tires. Buy something all terrain so its a little more aggressive.

As for GVWR concerns - unless you plan on pulling at 7,650 pounds every day, I'd go with the Rubi size tires. If you are concerned with those, throw the Willy's size on. If still concerned....buy an aggressive looking AT in the stock size.

I have a Max Tow on order and already have a set of factory Rubicon tires and wheels sitting at the house for it that I plan to run. Based on driving a Mojave (same gearing and tire size) I think I'll be very happy with it.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
2020 JT max tow
2in lift front/rear

I pull my camper often and use 255/75/17 dueler AT tires on JL rubi wheels.

Great mpg and handling, and i didnt loose any power with the slightly larger tires. Fantastic tire in the sand, snow, and rain.

Tires are a million dollar question with a million answers. You need to find your own balance between form and function.

9622FA8C-6B00-443A-887B-4574176DF2D2.jpeg

BBBB59FB-9699-482D-BAFD-1E48460D575D.jpeg

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT max tow
2in lift front/rear

I pull my camper often and use 255/75/17 dueler AT tires on JL rubi wheels.

Great mpg and handling, and i didnt loose any power with the slightly larger tires. Fantastic tire in the sand, snow, and rain.

Tires are a million dollar question with a million answers. You need to find your own balance between form and function.

9622FA8C-6B00-443A-887B-4574176DF2D2.jpeg

BBBB59FB-9699-482D-BAFD-1E48460D575D.jpeg
Thanks! I see you have the wolf pup. We are looking at the Geo Pro mr Ember and will be towing it a lot. Once retire we will tow it a hell of a lot :) Ensuring all the numbers balance with a travel trailer is like playing with Math on Mars to ensure you have oxygen!

What are all your numbers on the Pup including length etc (or just send floorplan number..18TO maybe?), what tongue weight are you running when all full up? My guess is we are looking at similar numbers to what you have is why I ask. Somewhere near 5K trailer GVWR around 22 feet?

Last edited:

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You can put 33's on your stock wheels. They are the same spec as the Rubicon wheels which come with 33's.

Your axle width is the same as the Rubicon that come with 33's.

If you want to spend money on new wheels, that's entirely your prerogative.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I see you have the wolf pup. We are looking at the Geo Pro mr Ember and will be towing it a lot. Once retire we will tow it a hell of a lot :) Ensuring all the numbers balance with a travel trailer is like playing with Math on Mars to ensure you have oxygen!

What are all your numbers on the Pup including length etc (or just send floorplan number..18TO maybe?), what tongue weight are you running when all full up? My guess is we are looking at similar numbers to what you have is why I ask. Somewhere near 5K trailer GVWR around 22 feet?
You nailed it!

18TOBL
The BL (black label) package added a bit more weight.

Around 5,000lbds fully loaded, im usually closer to maybe 4,500ish. So a ball park hitch weight of 500lbs. 24ft if i have the rear storage rack down.

The jt pulls it easily! I had 285/85/17 tires before and though it pulled fine. I felt the power loss with that size. When i swapped down to the 255/75/17 it was a night and day difference in power for pulling and driving. I see 7th a LOT and 8th pretty often when using cruise control.

I fell into the “i MUST have 10ply tires to tow” trap at first. The jt is rated for its maximum towing with 112T tires…i have 115T on there now and they are more than enough.

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You nailed it!

18TOBL
The BL (black label) package added a bit more weight.

Around 5,000lbds fully loaded, im usually closer to maybe 4,500ish. So a ball park hitch weight of 500lbs. 24ft if i have the rear storage rack down.

The jt pulls it easily! I had 285/85/17 tires before and though it pulled fine. I felt the power loss with that size. When i swapped down to the 255/75/17 it was a night and day difference in power for pulling and driving. I see 7th a LOT and 8th pretty often when using cruise control.

I fell into the “i MUST have 10ply tires to tow” trap at first. The jt is rated for its maximum towing with 112T tires…i have 115T on there now and they are more than enough.
Awesome thank you!
Sponsored