Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I've seen a few videos on youtube showing how to install a winch in a Rubicon full length bumper, which looks similar to the Sport-S stock bumper. I've not actually seen a video of anybody putting a winch in the Sport-S stock bumper though. Can it be done, and is there any difference between the install videos I've seen, and doing it on a Sport-S ? Thanks in advance for what may be a dumb question.
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
You need a winch plate. This plate bolts between the framerails behind the bumper, and the winch mounts to that.

The Rubicon (and other trims) "winch-ready" bumper just means it has removable panels to make room for the winch and fairlead.

With a Sport-S bumper (the plastic one), I would think you could cut out the space where the "winch-ready" bumper is pre-cut.

Looks like someone here has done that: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...nch-on-original-factory-plastic-bumper.35201/

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I appreciate the feedback but the link you provided is for a Rubicon. I know it can be done on the long Rubicon bumper, I'm specifically trying to figure out if it's feasible or not with my Sport-S bumper. I'm hoping that my bumper is similar enough to the Rubicon bumper where it's pretty much the same thing, I just can't find a video of doing this on a Sport-S. I was hoping that somebody here had experience with what I'd like to do.....

Agyoung35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If you’re spending enough to buy the winch a steel front bumper is probably a better first purchase. It’ll protect that expensive winch better too. There’s a reason you don’t see plastic bumpers with winches but I guess you could theoretically install a winch plate behind the bumper and cut out a hole. You’re likely better off spending the money on a steel bumper and a come along or hilift with recovery gear first though.

Merrick

First Name
Merrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT Willys, 2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Sales Manager
If you’re spending enough to buy the winch a steel front bumper is probably a better first purchase. It’ll protect that expensive winch better too. There’s a reason you don’t see plastic bumpers with winches but I guess you could theoretically install a winch plate behind the bumper and cut out a hole. You’re likely better off spending the money on a steel bumper and a come along or hilift with recovery gear first though.
You don't have to cut out a hole. Look at the Rock Hard 4x4 Winch plate. Easy install. Bolts to the frame rails and uses the factory tow hooks as a secondary anchor. I ran it on my JL, and I removed it and painted it orange when I got my JT. I love the look, and it adds to the Scrambler concept I'm going for.

Sponsored

Agyoung35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You don't have to cut out a hole. Look at the Rock Hard 4x4 Winch plate. Easy install. Bolts to the frame rails and uses the factory tow hooks as a secondary anchor. I ran it on my JL, and I removed it and painted it orange when I got my JT. I love the look, and it adds to the Scrambler concept I'm going for.
Those are definitely good looking. I'd still rather have it down behind the bumper for added protection of the winch and also to prevent it from fouling airflow to the grill more than necessary.

SamJ3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Technology Research and Advisory
I am doing this project now. Installing a 10,000 lb winch on 2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport using the original plastic bumper, and an LOD Signature mount plate. The project is about 75% done - going back together now. The project is definitely more labor intensive than a plug-and-play bumper/mount/winch kit, but the result promises to be good looking, lighter weight, and less costly. I'll share a proper write up, but here are a few pictures to hint at the work.

Key parts list: Zeak winch, LOD SIgnature mount plate, Rugged Ridge spacers, Poison Spyder fairlead mount.
Estimated net added weight: ~75-80 lbs
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220806_171915129

Sport bumper with cut-out and fairlead
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220807_165727862

Winch placement and cut-outs in bumper
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220807_192942563

Mounted plate and winch. Note that I had to also accommodate the Roadmaster Direct Connect Base Plate for towing.
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220808_125149126.MP

Wiring the solenoid is next. Tight fit, so planning to pass the wires through drilled small holes in the lower grill.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
Nice job, I can't wait to see what it looks like after the bumper is back on. How did you cut the hole for the rope to go through the bumper?

SamJ3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Nice job, I can't wait to see what it looks like after the bumper is back on. How did you cut the hole for the rope to go through the bumper?
I used a jigsaw (seen in the lower right corner of the second and thirds photos) for all straight and wide radius cuts on the plastic. I used a drill for the bolt holes and inside corner cuts.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Nice job SamJ3!….Jack

Sponsored

SamJ3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
I am doing this project now. Installing a 10,000 lb winch on 2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport using the original plastic bumper, and an LOD Signature mount plate. The project is about 75% done - going back together now. The project is definitely more labor intensive than a plug-and-play bumper/mount/winch kit, but the result promises to be good looking, lighter weight, and less costly. I'll share a proper write up, but here are a few pictures to hint at the work.

Key parts list: Zeak winch, LOD SIgnature mount plate, Rugged Ridge spacers, Poison Spyder fairlead mount.
Estimated net added weight: ~75-80 lbs
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220808_125149126.MP

Sport bumper with cut-out and fairlead

Winch placement and cut-outs in bumper

Mounted plate and winch. Note that I had to also accommodate the Roadmaster Direct Connect Base Plate for towing.

Wiring the solenoid is next. Tight fit, so planning to pass the wires through drilled small holes in the lower grill.
Project complete! It ended up being rather involved, with a lot of trimming, disassembly and reassembly, and tight clearances, but the I am very pleased with the outcome. There are a bunch of nuances and tips for anyone using this combination, especially if there is an existing tow base plate (bracket). If interested, I can do a detailed write up.

Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220821_224312150

The intent was to minimize added weight, add recovery capability, and preserve as much of the clean factory lines as reasonable. (I'm going to store the red strap with the remotes, and hang the hook below the bumper instead of on top.) Total weight added was less than 77 lbs; only took 3/16" from the front ride height.

Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220821_224340759

Lower panel was preserved, with the tow connections neatly fitted through.

Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220821_231253723

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Project complete! It ended up being rather involved, with a lot of trimming, disassembly and reassembly, and tight clearances, but the I am very pleased with the outcome. There are a bunch of nuances and tips for anyone using this combination, especially if there is an existing tow base plate (bracket). If interested, I can do a detailed write up.

Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me PXL_20220821_231253723

The intent was to minimize added weight, add recovery capability, and preserve as much of the clean factory lines as reasonable. (I'm going to store the red strap with the remotes, and hang the hook below the bumper instead of on top.) Total weight added was less than 77 lbs; only took 3/16" from the front ride height.

Lower panel was preserved, with the tow connections neatly fitted through.

That looks awesome. I am so tempt to try this myself.

Is the fairlead bracket adjustable for length forward and aft to reach the back of the bumper cover? I have a Rubicon so my front center section is pushed out flush and not recess like yours is.

SamJ3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
That looks awesome. I am so tempt to try this myself.

Is the fairlead bracket adjustable for length forward and aft to reach the back of the bumper cover? I have a Rubicon so my front center section is pushed out flush and not recess like yours is.
Good question Hootbro. The fairlead bracket was designed for a specific different application, so I needed to modify it for my bumper offset - I drilled (and painted) new front mount holes at the correct spot, and then used washers as spacers for the rear winch mounts. (That was one of the many tricks and nuances I had in this!)

I expect you could do the same with yours (but you may have better luck finding a winch mount plate and fairlead mount that is designed to fit your Rubicon factory bumper).
Jeep Gladiator Sport-S stock bumper and a winch....educate me 1661190011986

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
SamJ3,
Very nice install. Appreciate the details and pics!
I just want to ask how you decided on a Zeak winch?
Seem very well priced, but questionable reviews. I, in fact, had never heard of them until your install.
Thanks in advance.

SamJ3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
SamJ3,
Very nice install. Appreciate the details and pics!
I just want to ask how you decided on a Zeak winch?
Seem very well priced, but questionable reviews. I, in fact, had never heard of them until your install.
Thanks in advance.
I've been looking for a winch for several months. Since I was not expecting to use the winch more than occasionally, I felt the higher end 'professional grade' winches were more than I really needed. I noticed a lot of winch 'brands' that appeared to be selling the same China manufactured winch with different labels. No surprise here.

When I found Zeak, I noticed most of its castings where unique to Zeak. (I later discovered that some of the castings looked identical to Smittybilt X20 winches. Even the freewheel/engage lever looks identical. I am guessing it's made at the same factory as the X20.) Comparing the Zeak to other brand winches, the Zeak looked as good or better than most anything else - things like a 6HP motor, wireless and wired remotes, limited lifetime warranty/1 year electric warranty, IP68 rating, etc. These compared favorably versus winches costing twice as much. I found a few blog posts and 'reviews' that sounded good. I also contacted and got replies from their customer support staff with a question about the 10,000 lb versus 13,000 lb models.

I figured that buying through Amazon.com gave me a little extra protection if I had a warranty issue - they are very good at making sellers honor their promises. So, low price, low risk. Most reviews were positive. When the Prime deal for 20% off (lowest price in XX Days) came along, that was my sign.

I fully intend to maintain the winch even with occasional use. That pretty much means quarterly inspecting, unspooling and retentioning the line, and cleaning as needed. (Anyone with synthetic line should do the same.)

Now that I have it, I can critique what I've seen so far.

Pros: The castings are clean and well fitting. The motor and clutch run smooth (no variability like there are dry spots on the gears), the included hardware looks like good quality. The paint finish is thick and smooth. Excellent price, especially for what is included (wired and wireless remotes, hefty hook, fairlead, 83' synthetic rope, ample power cables, circuit breaker, long warranty, etc.). It worked perfectly with the first test.

Cons: The instructions are complete, but probably translated from Chinese, so it reads a bit odd. The wired remote seemed a bit light duty. I was not satisfied with the way the wire was feed into the remote, so I added a layer of protection with heat shrink tube. It does not include a master power switch, so I added that too.

Also, for my configuration (LOD Signature plate on a JT), the clearances at the back of the solenoid are too tight, and I had to drill holes into my grill to allow the wires to pass through to make their connections. It's a clean installation, but had the wires been routed to the side of the solenoid instead of the rear, drilling would have been undeed. This is not a design fault of Zeak as this is common practice, but something I didn't consider when I made the purchase.

Bottom line: I considered the big name brands, plus some unknown brands, and found Zeak (a lesser known but established brand) offered a lot of performance for the price. So far, I am pleased. The real test will come when I need to do a real recovery. I'll share when that happens.
Sponsored