Sponsored

Sport S stock wheel upgrade

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
Had my Sport S for almost a month now. Want to change/upgrade the stock 17x7.5" silver wheels. Wanting something in black to compliment the granite crystal metallic. I want to use the stock tires for awhile just because of cost. Eventually upgrade to a larger size. It seems most aftermarket wheels are 17x9". Would the stock 245/75R17 tires work on that size wheel?
Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
No. Every tire has an acceptable wheel width range. Check the factory tire versus the tire you may eventually go with and pick a wheel that fits both.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Just a thought...
Have you considered using a black Plastic-dip on the existing wheels?
$10 experiment to see if you really like the look before you drop money on changing them out.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Just a thought...
Have you considered using a black Plastic-dip on the existing wheels?
$10 experiment to see if you really like the look before you drop money on changing them out.
definitely do this... you won’t have to pay to have the tires remounted.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You might want to look for takeoff wheels from a Rubicon, Mojave, or Willy's, then you'd get wheels and tires at the same time and sell your old ones for a few hundred. Unless you really want custom, non OEM wheels, then that's a different story

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottLars

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've thought about this but am a little hesitant. I'm not very "artistic" and worried about screwing it up.

OP
OP
ScottLars

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
You might want to look for takeoff wheels from a Rubicon, Mojave, or Willy's, then you'd get wheels and tires at the same time and sell your old ones for a few hundred. Unless you really want custom, non OEM wheels, then that's a different story
Thought about that route. I've seen the stock black wheels online for a decent price. I don't necessarily need a custom look.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thought about that route. I've seen the stock black wheels online for a decent price. I don't necessarily need a custom look.
Yea and an added bonus, they'll generally still come with the TPMS so you don't have to worry about figuring out something there either.

OP
OP
ScottLars

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yea and an added bonus, they'll generally still come with the TPMS so you don't have to worry about figuring out something there either.
Don't most tire shops move the tpms sensors to new wheels?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I would look into doing this. I see rubicon take offs on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist all the time.

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Any experience with how this holds up over time on wheels? I have the black rubicon wheels but wouldn't mind coving up the silver accent if this is a good route.

87944turbo

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
I have used PD on many wheels and the key is coverage as in number of coats. The more coats, the more durable it will be and the easier it can be removed because it will stay together and peal off in one big sheet or at least big pieces. It is incredibly forgiving and somewhat self leveling and much harder to mess up than spray paint. You don't have to mask off your tires, because it won't stick to rubber and will peal right off your tires. I just took some off some other wheels that had been on there for 7 years, was just ready to do something different. Still looked good, came right off.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Any experience with how this holds up over time on wheels? I have the black rubicon wheels but wouldn't mind coving up the silver accent if this is a good route.
it holds up surprisingly well. I did this with my stock silver sport rims and determined that I liked the black rim look. I then bought some OEM Moab 2019 Rims For $400 including the matching 5th spare. I sold the stock sport rims and tires for $400. I then found a buyer for the Michelin tires they were on the Moab rims they had about 2000 miles on them and sold them for $300.

I price matched at fire stone and got 285/75r17s for around 1000 w warranty etc.

So for about 700 bucks my jeep looks like this and I have tires warranted up to 50 K miles.....

Jeep Gladiator Sport S stock wheel upgrade 622547F4-38D9-4C21-B245-8DA78381F039

or

you could probably find Ruby takeoff with 33‘s for 700 to $800 and then sell your takeoff for 300-400... costing you 400

or

Plastic dip and a little time for about 10 bucks

That gives you three solid options for different budget points

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Rattle can VHB epoxy paint and let the sun heat them for an hour or so after painting. I sprayed the 95 Sport 1100 wheels 12 years ago and they still look great.
Sponsored