First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
I’ve used the search and can’t find any reviews. Who got the base 5” display and radio in their Sport S? Are you regretting not going to the 7”? I’ve decided to order on Black Friday and still haven’t decided on Rubicon or Sport. Lol I can save a thousand or so by going with the 5” on the Sport. If I go Rubicon, I’m staying with the 7”. Any reviews will be appreciated.
Sponsored

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@NateKY
I kind of delt with this same dilemma... 1st thing see if the 5” screen you are considering has the XM option... I didn’t know that it wouldn’t come standard. Which is ridiculous. I added a Ram Mount to the passenger grab bar bolt which helps me deal with the 5” screen. Would I rather have the 7” yes of course. Am I ok with the 5” screen... yes it does well for what it is... really helped having my phone mounted next to it where I run my XM and other features. Took me a bit to get used to it because my F150 had apple car play. The backup camera is nice and you can zoom in on your trailer hitch. It has cool features as well throughout the unit. It will show what you are playing on Pandora or XM when running thru Bluetooth and USB off your phone. You get what you pay for... I was more focused on performance of the Jeep Sport S when I purchased mine and they had to pull it from a store out of state. Didn’t think a ton about the screen I just thought it would be a smaller version. The 7” has a ton more features... but the 5” isn’t completely terrible. The ram mount really cleared up some issues for me.

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Get what you want, if you are only saving 1k by going with the sport then get the rubi. I upgraded to the premium audio and don't regret it one bit.
Out of all the features of the jeep which will you use the most? For me it was the radio. I have always upgraded the radios on every vehicle I have owned and by the time I'm 3 years into ownership I've put in 500-1k anyway. Might as well enjoy it from the beginning.

LandoZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport
@NateKY
I have the 7" in my JT and love it. I use it with Android Auto and it works great. It doesn't come with navigation so being able to use Android auto or Apple carplay is a major +. The only other benefits of having the 7" is navigating through menus.

Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's adequate. Definitely nothing special but it sounds nice. I listen to a large verity of music and it sounds good. I'm not one to need a system that everyone 3 blocks away needs to hear but I do like to jam. I mostly pair with my phone for music and my only gripe is that it boots a little slow and I have to switch it from radio to Bluetooth Everytime I get in. I wish is would stay on Bluetooth. The screen is clear and works well for the backup camera. For the most part I use my mirrors unless hooking up a trailer. There is a number of voice commands that work with your phone and it will read text off my phone (Android). Wife said her radio in her compass won't read messages off her iPhone. I haven't dug into that to see if there was any operator error.

I have no experience with the 7" but if it booted faster and stayed on Bluetooth I would have preferred that. Not sure if it's worth the $1000 to me.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I have the 7-inch display in my Sport S, works great, and the phone pairs w/Bluetooth every time I get in automatically. For IPhone P,ay, you need to put into the USB, but this gives Nav, with the Map on the 7-inch display, and the turn-by-turn instructions on the IPhone, which I have mounted in a 67 Deisgns phone mount, next to the 7-inch display. Sweet setup.
Cheers

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 5", I can't stand XM, calling me all the time to renew or upgrade so I don't miss that at all, but either the 5" doesn't have uconnect capabilities for the uconnect app on the phone or I can't figure it out. I have an iPhone X and I don't want to connect it to the on board stereo or have all my calls come thru the stereo, I hate phone calls that interrupt my music. I just use a iPod with all my music and playlists when I go for a drive. I use an Amazon purchased $60 satellite based 7" GPS with all the Forest Service roads on it and free upgrades for as long as it lasts, so once again, no need to plug or connect my phone to the JT. I wouldn't mind the 7" screen, but not for the reasons most of you have mentioned. I just like big screens. Other than that, the stock stereo and 5" screen work great for me. I did add a 8" powered sub.

Update; There is no phone service most the places I go, so phone nav isn't an option.

Don't you get the upgraded instrument cluster with the 7" screen too?

Last edited:

Papalecki

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
This is a great questions....
The first Glady I was going to buy had the 5” with XM. I thought I would be fine (mount my phone and use it for Nav)
I then found another one with 7” screen and apple car play
First - the 7” screen is small - I can’t imagine what the 5” looks like. I use car play all the time - and I found the XM reception drops out more on the Glady than other cars, so I use Spotify ALL THE TIME (we have the family plan, you know kids).
So my 2cents - the 7 inch is worth it vs the 5”

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
.....I can’t imagine what the 5” looks like. I use car play all the time - and I found the XM reception drops out more on the Glady than other cars, so I use Spotify ALL THE TIME (we have the family plan, you know kids).
So my 2cents - the 7 inch is worth it vs the 5”
Thinking the absolute same thing.... one of the first upgrades i looked for was dumping the 5" screen for something larger.

Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
The 5 is an embarrassing piece. If you do upgrade later, you will lose some adjustments because the control knobs are on the unit. Check YouTube and the wrangler forum

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I went with the 5" not because it was better than the 7" because it's not but with the 5" your ac controls are down below (more like analog controls) where as the 7" has some of the ac controls on the stereo. With the controls in the stereo it would be a lot harder or a lot more expensive to replace the stereo with something better or more modern. I plan on keeping my JT for a looooong time and with technology moving the way it does in 10 yrs that 7" may not do what you want it to do... I really want this https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/jeep-wrangler-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-x409-wra-jl

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I am seriously considering that Alpine system. Will wait until late next month when it comes to check it out at a local stereo shop before I decide to get it or not. Problem is that it’s a shallow dash and not many other systems will fit, at least for now.

I went with the 5" not because it was better than the 7" because it's not but with the 5" your ac controls are down below (more like analog controls) where as the 7" has some of the ac controls on the stereo. With the controls in the stereo it would be a lot harder or a lot more expensive to replace the stereo with something better or more modern. I plan on keeping my JT for a looooong time and with technology moving the way it does in 10 yrs that 7" may not do what you want it to do... I really want this https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/jeep-wrangler-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-x409-wra-jl

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Don't you get the upgraded instrument cluster with the 7" screen too?
Yes, the package that gives you the 7" uconnect display also gives you a fancier display behind the steering wheel. The base one is all black and white with analog gauges above it (fuel level and temp, I think). The fancier one is all digital and in color.

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I am seriously considering that Alpine system. Will wait until late next month when it comes to check it out at a local stereo shop before I decide to get it or not. Problem is that it’s a shallow dash and not many other systems will fit, at least for now.
You do have to get the Shallow units but alpine, kenwood and pioneer all have one that I think will fit... that alpine is really cool because it has the ability to add controls such as light controls and wench controls and it can read ODB your engine
Sponsored