Sport S with Max tow the way to go?

JustinWPI11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Getting real close to pulling the trigger on a new Gladiator. Have posted on here a few times and read even more. Just looking for some final thoughts.

I’m upgrading from a JKU which my family has loved. I do a lot of hunting in the North Maine woods along with a lot of fishing with our boat. The off roaring we do is mostly old logging roads but I like to be able to go anywhere. So no real rock crawling but not something just any vehicle can get by on.

I am leaning towards the Sport S with Max tow 1) For the increased payload and 2) for the wide track axels and higher 4.1 gearing

Anything I’m missing/haven’t considered? Any reason not to get the Max tow package on the Sport S? Also looking at a Rubicon but the price difference is coming in 6-7k higher which I I’m not to keen on. I’ve read a lot on here already on Max tow vs Rubicon. Seems for my use the Max tow would be best?
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
If I could do it all over again, I'd more than likely buy the Sport S with max tow. I could have built one with almost every option including 8.4" infotainment, both safety packages, cold weather package, Mopar / Katzkin leather, dual tops, etc. for around $7000 less than what I paid for my Rubicon. That's a nice chunk of change.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you plan on overlanding or doing some serious wheeling, id go sport s. More bang for your buck and just as capable as the rubi for most applications.

i have the max tow and im VERY happy i chose it over the rubi.

just my $0.02

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Get the one that suits your budget, You will be happy with either model.

I started looking for a Sport S, but was going to swap the tires and wheels, add rock rails and a few other items that came standard on the Rubicon that the dealer had on the lot. I opted for the Rubicon, but would have been just as happy with the Sport S.

Have fun.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Get the one that suits your budget, You will be happy with either model.

I started looking for a Sport S, but was going to swap the tires and wheels, add rock rails and a few other items that came standard on the Rubicon that the dealer had on the lot. I opted for the Rubicon, but would have been just as happy with the Sport S.

Have fun.
thankfully the secondary market is alive and well stocked for jt take offs. I also snagged rubi wheels / rails / bed rails / shocks / cargo management rails significantly cheaper on the secondary market than buying from the dealer.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I came from a Rubi and then a Rubi Recon. I never had to use the lockers, and you lose steering with the front locker, and some directional stability with the rear locker. If I can't get where I want with open diffs (hasn't happened yet), I will wait for a Yukon or Detroit locker to become available. Meanwhile, I am completely satisfied with my JT Sport S with Max Tow. If you want taller, more aggressive tires than the more-or-less passenger car tires that come with the Sport, get some take-offs. I kept my Falkens when I traded the Recon and got a set of take-off Sport Glad wheels and tires for a modest cost. Now I have 9 "all-terrain" stock tires and 8 aluminum JT wheels. There is the problem--you can end up with a lot of stuff to store if you don't aggressively re-sell what you don't really want!
OTOH, I am happy with the mpg using the stock tires and front bumper with fairing in front of the tires. I am getting 3-5 mpg better than I got with the Recon using a stubby winch bumper and the Falkens.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I think that is a good choice. If the $2k rebate was available when I bought, I would have probably went with the max tow as well

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Max Tow is the only one they sell in my mind. If you must, you can add lockers and a disconnecting sway bar. What you cannot add is the 33% additional payload and higher towing. Start with Max Tow always and then add only what you need.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I ordered a sport max tow. The payload was the deciding factor. Another factor was I didn't want leather seats and only way to get cloth seats on Rubicon is black seats with ugly red dash. I like the look of the Rubicons, but as far as off-roading goes, the Rubicon is overkill for a Florida guy. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Sponsored