Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
We have a Hybrid Lexus, so I'm lucky in the sense I'm used to the engine stopping and starting. Personally I like the idea of my cash not evaporating into the atmosphere at red lights and drive through s. And when I do take my JT out, its usually to put it in 4-wheel drive, which seems to disable the start stop feature nicely. Does the diesel have a that start stop feature?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
We have a Hybrid Lexus, so I'm lucky in the sense I'm used to the engine stopping and starting. Personally I like the idea of my cash not evaporating into the atmosphere at red lights and drive through s. And when I do take my JT out, its usually to put it in 4-wheel drive, which seems to disable the start stop feature nicely. Does the diesel have a that start stop feature?
Do you have an automatic transmission? I think on the autos that start-stop is less annoying. On the manuals, however, it has this annoying habit of cranking while I'm letting out the clutch. And then stalling it because I didn't know it was cranking, and ended up with more clutch engaged than the delivered torque could support. I have over a half century of driving almost exclusively manual vehicles. Stall happens. But not several times a week. Several times a year when the situation is difficult (or I'm not paying attention), maybe, but not a week.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the Auto, but I got ya, that would be annoying for a stick. I needed the Max Tow, which only came with the auto, otherwise I would have gotten the stick

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I really thought I’d hate the Start/Stop. I rented a Grand Cherokee a few months back (auto trans) and it was a major PIA and confidence crusher. When I got my JT (manual) I just got in the habit of pushing the bypass switch whenever I started it. Forgot one day and realized that the Start/Stop only comes into play when sitting still, trans on neutral and clutch out. If I don’t want it to stop I just keep the clutch pressed in or simply tap the clutch to restart. It’s pretty cool that at a long traffic light the truck will start back up to keep the AC or heat going. I have found it to be a nice feature on the manual trans. Still hate it with an auto.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I drove it around town and out and about enough today that I got to where I knew how hard or not hard to press the brakes and got pretty good at holding the truck still but letting up just enough on the brake pedal to let the thing start when I saw the light in the other direction turn yellow - so I was started and ready when mine turned green. I could after a bit also stop without the engine shutting off if I knew the light had been red for a while (like I could see it half a block away - hilly around here)
Otherwise I liked it because with my Chevy I could sit at a light and watch the average MPG drop as I sat and waited and some of the lights around here are LOONG - especially the stop lights along the highway - long red for you waiting to cross, long green for those on HWY 163.
Now the MPG average doesn't drop so badly when I sit at a light. It was so frustrating with my other vehicles, my other Jeep, the Chevy I had - to watch those numbers drop.
Anyway, I got to where I could control the thing pretty well with brake pedal pressure and such, so it's not even annoying. And face it, after watching a few hot-shots on the drag strip I know that most people's reaction time isn't so good - proof that the stop/start is not what's causing their delay moving after the light turns LOL Be honest.

It's no problem, I learned to manipulate the brake pressure, etc. - not an issue at all. I can still be first off the line if I want.

BTW - isn't this like thread number 5 on this topic?

Last edited:

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The Jeep Gladiator JT SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

does a Tazer do what this is referring to?

OP
OP
BLK HOLE

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Gladiator JT SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

I heard that it does but don't know. My Flashcal has a setting for it but it doesn't work.

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
I unplugged the switch under the hood. Two switches up front, the one closest to driver side.

Turns on the fault light on dash, but it's not noticable.

And it was free

Sponsored

OP
OP
BLK HOLE

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I unplugged the switch under the hood. Two switches up front, the one closest to driver side.

Turns on the fault light on dash, but it's not noticable.

And it was free
dash lights are noticeable to me, haha

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020

The taser does do this and about 50 other things.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Hopefully someone will come up with removing all the stuff associated with it, the extra battery and whatever and we will pay them them to do it.
I say this hoping someone that wants to make a lot of money will offer the service.

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Okay, time to argue the other side (just a little bit): I religiously pushed the button each start-up until last week. Then I decided to give it a week to see how it goes. What I found out is, I can easily control the auto-stop by feathering the brake pedal.

In stop-and-go traffic, (which I hit a lot last week, altered commute), it wanted to trigger all the time. But if I just hit the brake pedal hard enough to come to a stop, it would not trigger. If I mashed the pedal, it would trigger. Yesterday and today I had to drive through (for me) heavy traffic with lots of short stops. I found I could come to a stop, not have it shut off, and then go, "watch this". I would then push the brake pedal harder (while already stopped), and the engine would stop. I could completely control when the engine stopped, just by how much pressure was on the brake pedal.

I already knew that if the engine was stopped, easing up on the brake without letting it completely loose would start the engine. Now I have found the magic spot where I can trigger the stop also. Now that I have the "feel" for the feature, I'm going to stop hitting the disable button, and see how I do.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I discovered this last week, it is all about how hard you press the brake pedal down.
Cheers
Sponsored