start stop technology

txbillwright

First Name
William A Wrigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Addition
My new Gladiator is the first vehicle I have owned with this feature. Freaked me out the first few times it died at the light but now I am use to it. Question is what kind of additional wear does it put on the engine and starting system with all this starting?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My new Gladiator is the first vehicle I have owned with this feature. Freaked me out the first few times it died at the light but now I am use to it. Question is what kind of additional wear does it put on the engine and starting system with all this starting?
It's supposedly built to handle it. There is a button on the dash that turns it off. It doesn't remember, and has to be turned off every time the truck is started. I usually turn it off, especially in the summer, to keep the AC running. My understanding, is that to achieve any fuel savings, it needs to be off for at least seven seconds every time it activates.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Im no genius but my first thought was; "what is the worst thing for any engine?" Obviously starting it. So I don't see how starting and stopping it 20 times a day can be good for it. Just my thoughts.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Not a fan of stop-start. I'll be hitting the disable button every trip. I already do that with the Ram, putting the auto trans into "tow/haul" mode (to lower the shift point RPMs) as soon as I turn it on. It's as automatic as putting on the seat belt :D Easy peasy. I'm thankful it's an option.

It's a feel-good feature driven by federal emissions standards, which are driven by, well.... in the long run it's just more complex stuff to go wrong and tie us to costly dealer repairs. Don't get me started on TPMS (and the cost of calibration) ;)

If you really want to save gas, simply combine trips, make fewer of them, and drive easy. Beats the pants off start/stop at no extra cost or complexity.

Last edited:

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Tazer JL Mini
as low as: $329.00

Shipping is by Fed Ex 2nd Day,

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
it's just more complex stuff to go wrong
My brother-in-law just replaced the battery for his Start/Stop sytem. $100 for the battery.

Wonder how long it would take using the system to save that $100??

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The flywheel and starter motor are upgraded to handle the starts. During a start/stop event, the engine is still hot and oil is still coating all the internals, so it doesn't create extra wear. It's not like starting a cold engine in the morning.

My Fuelly data showed a roughly 1.5 MPG savings with ESS turned on when I had a failure of the system on my JL for a few weeks. Instant MPG loss. When they fixed ESS the MPGs went back to normal. My drive is a 50/50 mix of city/highway.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My brother-in-law just replaced the battery for his Start/Stop sytem. $100 for the battery.

Wonder how long it would take using the system to save that $100??
At 1,200 miles per month, you'd be looking at about 7.7 months to recover the cost of the battery at current fuel prices.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
2020 model, is that not covered under warranty?
Sponsored