Sponsored

Stealership just told me it would void my warranty if

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2016 JKU, 2020 JT Mojave
I Regear.
I have a 2020 Mojave that came stock with 33 inch MTs and 4.10s.
I have 35s on order so I went ahead and sold those stock 33s to a gentleman and exchanged my 33s for his 31s off of his sport. The JT drives like a dream on 31s and 4.10s. Low end power, maintains 8th gear at 2000 RPMs without constantly downshifting to 7th on the highway. The math says to maintain that same driveability, 4.88 is the gear ratio for 35s.
I asked about this at the dealership and was told that if I regear, it will void the ENTIRE powertrain warranty. Engine, tranny, and axels.
This makes absolutely no sense to me since the same dealership sells heavily modded Jeeps with 37s and 40s which make the engine and tranny work MUCH harder with 4.10 gears. Service manager states ā€œyouā€™re increasing your RPMsā€. My argument is no, Iā€™m decreasing them because it will hold 8th at 2000 instead of constantly downshifting to 7th and hitting 2700 to maintain highway speed.
I would understand voiding the warranty on the diffs, but the engine and tranny too? For essentially making them work less. Anyone successfully regeared and not had their engine and tranny voided by the stealership?
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
It could void the warranty. In theory, the dealership would have to prove that your engine damage was from the gears. In reality, seems they could deny it and put the onus on you.

Real chance the dealer wonā€™t check what gear ratio you have if the engine or tranny give up the ghost.

Reality again is, anything you do apart from stock, could raise an issue.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
What they say doesn't matter. Just be prepared for a possible warranty fight if you modify the driveline. If it doesn't happen cool, if it does you were prepared :)

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I Regear.
I have 35s on order so I went ahead and sold those stock 33s to a gentleman and exchanged my 33s for his 31s off of his sport. The JT drives like a dream on 31s and 4.10s. Low end power, maintains 8th gear at 2000 RPMs without constantly downshifting to 7th on the highway. The math says to maintain that same driveability, 4.88 is the gear ratio for 35s.
I asked about this at the dealership and was told that if I regear, it will void the ENTIRE powertrain warranty. Engine, tranny, and axels.
This makes absolutely no sense to me since the same dealership sells heavily modded Jeeps with 37s and 40s which make the engine and tranny work MUCH harder with 4.10 gears. Service manager states ā€œyouā€™re increasing your RPMsā€. My argument is no, Iā€™m decreasing them because it will hold 8th at 2000 instead of constantly downshifting to 7th and hitting 2700 to maintain highway speed.
I would understand voiding the warranty on the diffs, but the engine and tranny too? For essentially making them work less. Anyone successfully regeared and not had their engine and tranny voided by the stealership?
The way to avoid the issue is to order the Mopar 4.88s and have dealer install so they are warranted. Mopar covers factory options installed by the dealer like the 2" lift for instance.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It definitely could void the warranty, so prepare to fight. If Mopar offers 4.88s, and I didnā€™t know they did thatā€™s cool, the dealer is your best bet if you are concerned about warranty. A word of warning, I had the dealer install gears on my JK and it didnā€™t go well. Thatā€™s just my singular experience though!

Sponsored

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
My local dealership has done several regears. I have talked to them about doing mine but havenā€™t went through with it yet.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I installed a 2" lift on my 08 JKU in 2012 and put 33s on it. The only thing ever stated when I turn it in for repair is that the original warranty will not cover non-VIN items. Didn't expect it to.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Iā€™m running 35s on my Mojave (Falken Wildpeak AT3W) and they measure 34.8 (so bigger than most ā€œ35sā€) and theyā€™re heavy, and itā€™s still plenty driveable. I can still chirp the tires from a stop, and itā€™s got no issue getting up to speed or running 8th gear on the highway.

I wouldnā€™t even consider regearing until youā€™ve driven it.

Last edited:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Not all dealerships are created equally. There is a reason for the "stealership" moniker and the overall terrible reputation of car dealers as a whole. You need to find a better one. We drive more than an hour each way (past several other lesser dealerships) to get to what we think is our best option for my wife's JK. After the last visit, I'm rethinking that, but they did ultimately fix the physical problem they caused (the sexism is still an issue).

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I Regear.
What??? I love the reason. Your increasing rpmā€™s. No Iā€™m putting rpmā€™s back to stock. Increasing rpm would be putting 10 inch tires on. Jeez

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
How would the dealership know if we did a regear? If I went and had my gears changed from a 4 x 4 shop how old is my dealer going to know that I regeared?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
How would the dealership know if we did a regear? If I went and had my gears changed from a 4 x 4 shop how old is my dealer going to know that I regeared?
If you have a driveline issue, it will be very apparent during the teardown and they'll void the warranty for any axle work since it's modified. They can't and don't void your warranty preemptively, they just flag you in the system and that flag basically voids any related claims.

wayned

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Look this up.
Magnusonā€“Moss Warranty Act

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Ask for FCA documentation to back up their claim......if they can't produce it......well there's your sign. Their lack of knowledge and opinions don't mean squat.

IF the above happens, find another dealer. Then leave them a glowing review aka nuclear because they provided zero intelligent customer service.

But, that's how I roll. Reviews and speaking to customers of the service department let me know what dealer will or will not touch my Jeep(s)

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
They can take it for a drive and figure it out without opening your diff.

RPM x tire diameter
-------------------- = gear ratio
MPH x 336

Or they can count driveshaft rotations for both tires to make one complete rotation.
Sponsored