Stealership or Tazer

Rpesch08

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator overland
Recently stepped up to 35's, and want to recal the speedo and while the tazer seems like a great option to have more control over just about everything I'm wary of plugging anything into the car. This is my first Jeep (much more experience with euro sportscars) and it seems almost encouraged to be swapping stuff out.

Biggest question if there's anyone with dealership experience, will a tazer void my entire warranty as the electronics are linked to just about everything? Or if I decouple it will I be all set. It seems plenty of folks have brought their cars in for service after this with no issues, but has anyone needed repairs that were covered by their warranty?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored

TxGladiator

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I’ve just unplugged my Tazer the last two times I went in for warranty service and put the plugs back in to the security gateway.
No issues.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed them before purchase, and they said it won't leave a footprint on the ECM, but they still recommend removing it before going to the dealership just to ensure they don't use it as an excuse to screw you out of your warranty.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
It doesn't make any permanent changes to the system. It only intercepts data between the vehicles various systems and the 'dashboard control'. In my opinion, the only danger is a pretty unlikely chance of shorting things out.

I would still recommend removing the unit before service visits, just in case the dealership/servicer needs an excuse to blame something other than the actual issue.

Now, you CAN get into trouble by changing the parameters that the Tazer allows. But, that's user error and you deserve what you get if you mess with things you don't understand. Line lock, winch over rev, etc. can have detrimental consequences if not handled responsibly. Just like driving with the wrong light show active and attracting the ire of law enforcement...

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
I’ve just unplugged my Tazer the last two times I went in for warranty service and put the plugs back in to the security gateway.
No issues.
When you say you "just unplugged" your Tazer, did you do any uninstall or simply unplug it? When I took mine in for service, I unmarried it and removed it and all of my settings were erased. Can I simply unplug the unit and it will remember my settings and be undetectable?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When you say you "just unplugged" your Tazer, did you do any uninstall or simply unplug it? When I took mine in for service, I unmarried it and removed it and all of my settings were erased. Can I simply unplug the unit and it will remember my settings and be undetectable?
You will want to "unmarry" the unit with your dashboard and steering wheel controls, then remove the unit, and reinstall the 2 plug back into the BUS system. Go the dealership, let them do their thing, come back home (or out in the parking lot of the nearest safe gas station immediately afterwards), and reinstall your Tazer, re-marry it, and then reset all your settings back to the way you had them.

Unfortunately the Tazer does not save your settings, which is something I wish they would fix in their next software update.
Sponsored