Steel 3 piece bumper skid plate(s) -UPDATED some more UGH

1. bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    So I am finding TWO part numbers for steel skid pans that appear to work with the 3 piece steel front bumper:
    82215183 which is indicated in the Mopar parts site as being needed for this bumper $200ish from numerous sites
    and
    68293984AB which is indicates as for use with 2018/19 JL and 2020 JT with steel front bumper $140ish from numerous sites

Do we have a Jeep parts person on the site who knows what the difference is between these two pans/numbers? Is this a part number revision?

They both appear to bolt up to the steel bumper the same way, and both look similar/same in pictures.

2. ralphjjr

ralphjjr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Liked:
    I am not a parts person, but I did a search on both part numbers, and I can't find the first related to the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, the second is coming up:

upload_2019-7-20_22-59-57.png

3. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    That bumper has been repurposed since 2013.

Point is, I think both of those part numbers are for the same skid, and one is substantially less than the other.

4. ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Agreed, and it feels to be like the second one is the one to go for.

5. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    I'm looking for confirmation that, that is the case.

6. ColdSRT

ColdSRT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
    Liked:
    The second one is correct, not sure on the first. Confirmed from FCA parts diagram and with the service department. The drawing only references one part number for that skid plate.

7. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    "The second one" being 68293984AB?

8. ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    @bgenlvtex this is where my screenshot was from.

In my opinion the correct part is 68293984AB. Whether the other one fits or not isn't actually clear in the current parts diagrams. I cannot find the first part number in any diagram. I looked at 2020 gladiator, 2019 JL and 2018 JK.

9. ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Disclaimer: I'm not sure what you are trying to do. But answering your original question, the first part # (82215183) is not at all associated with the gladiator.

10. RedTRex

RedTRex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Not sure that matters as this bumper even in JK form should bolt on. But on second thought, not 100% sure about the skid plate.

11. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    I understand that, but it IS associated with that bumper and has been since it was first used in 2013Capture.JPG
    See the highlighted part, this is from the Mopar Performance catalog. I understand it doesn't say JT but it it does say JL which for these parts should be synonymous

12. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    See that's where I am. I KNOW the bumper will fit, and I am pretty damned certain that one or the other skid is required for it to be a functional winch platform.

I sort of understand the part number differences (revisions, super-cessions, re-issues, supplements and substitutions), but what I don't understand is the pricing disparity, which is what makes me question the whole thing.

Quadratec lists both for sale, $100 apart.

I'm hoping a parts guy will see this and tell me the difference is one is production line parts number and the other is Mopar Performance part number, because honestly that is what I think it is.

13. RedTRex

RedTRex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Yea, that is kinda what I was seeing one was in the accessories catalog and one was in standard catalog...

14. OP
    OP
    bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    #14 Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    I think this is what I'm going to do: https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-skid-plate-68293984ab
    Capture.JPG
    And here is the bumper for $776 SHIPPED which is a screaming good deal for the complete bumper assembly with LED fogs and harness installed: https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...-wrangler-jl-and-jeep-gladiator-jt-82215121ab

I don't think you can get a complete oem set cheaper than that.

ETA: Shipping on the skid was $12.89 to East Texas, shipping on the bumper was free. So, $898.78 for the complete steel 3 piece with lights and the correct/required skid pan delivered.

$200 more than it would have cost at build, but I have an extra set of fog lamps if one gets broken, and I'm also not financing the thing, so in the end minimal economic impact.

15. ColdSRT

ColdSRT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
    Liked:
    Exactly.

I'm not sure the skid plate has much to do with mounting a winch as far as strength goes. I was under the impression it was more to fit the winch plate that mopar uses. The winch plate ties to the frame and provides the actual platform that you pull from. The bumper and skid are essentially window dressing in the overall scheme of things.

That skid uses the same brackets to mount to the frame as the ones on the Rubicon with plastic bumper. It then just bolts to the bottom of the stamped steel bumper. It's a nice finished look and surely does reinforce the rigidity of the bumper, but the winch plate and hooks are the only things directly tied to the frame and are thick enough to support recovery loads.

I'm interested to see how the winch plate, that comes with the bumper I'm looking at, integrates with the factory skid for the plastic Rubicon bumper. It's also a stamped steel bumper. It's a separate piece instead of being integrated into the bumper like a lot of aftermarket steel bumpers.