Sponsored

Steel bumper question

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Since as of today, the steel front bumper is still not available to add to the order, I was wondering if there are any problems to getting the plastic bumper then doing a change out when I can find one? Are the lower skids made of steel when getting the plastic bumper? Or are they plastic? Are there any extra brackets or needed holes to be drilled when adding the OEM steel bumper after having a plastic bumper? I am adding a winch plate and thought I saw somewhere that the there are some different holes or something on the JT frame with the steel bumper.. Are the harness plugs the same for the LED fogs? I am thinking I already know these answers, but wanting to make sure I have all of my bases covered... Thanks
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I have a JLU Sport S and I've installed the Rubicon steel bumper. The JT's is exactly the same.

You'll need 4x Rivnuts installed to get the mounting brackets mounted for the steel skid plate. Other than that it is all plug and play. The LED harnesses are the same. Even the halogen's use the same connector. The only thing for Halogen to LED is the need to turn off the flicker using a programmer (not an issue for you in this case).

The only thing I don't know about is the skid plate with the Rubicon plastic bumper. I don't know if that is plastic or not. The Sport and Sport S are both plastic (it's actually considered an air dam).

Go do a search for Rubnuts and bumper on the JLWranglerForums. You'll find the part numbers you need. Check out some Youtube vids on installing rivnuts. It can be done with a bolt, two nuts, a couple washers, and a couple wrenches. You'll want to make sure you do it right or you may end up drilling them out.

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
If you have a Rubicon, you will already have the correct brackets to mount the steel bumper specific skid plate that covers the sway disconnect. You don't really need the new skid plate if you have a sport but it reinforces the bumper so it's not a bad idea. If you have a sport, you will also need the skid plate brackets.

The steel bumper requires the LED package so I believe they are only setup for LED mounting. That said, it has different brackets than the plastic bumper with LED fog lights.

The issue for me is cost. It was a $695 option that mine didn't come with. Total bummer as I really like the factory bumper other than the fact it doesn't have shackle mounts. It's going to cost $1100 with the skid plate to get it through the dealer and that's with a 15% discount. Then I still have to get a winch plate from Warn which is another $220 plus shipping to Alaska. If you find a takeoff for a decent price, that's a great way to go. I decided for that much money and still no shackle mounts, I'm going aftermarket. Thankfully, some companies are making nice low profile bumpers that mimic the factory steel bumper. I already have one picked out.

I have all the part numbers handy for the correct skid plate, brackets and bumper. I even have the individual steel bumper part numbers as well. Let me know if you need any of them.

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Just ordered a JTR with the plastic fantastic bumper. Sigh. I'll probably just wait for the AEV bumper at this point. No point spending $1,100 just to get the factory bumper I SHOULD have been able to order for $695. At least the AEV will look unique. And yes, it will cost more than $1,100. Don't care.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Just ordered a JTR with the plastic fantastic bumper. Sigh. I'll probably just wait for the AEV bumper at this point. No point spending $1,100 just to get the factory bumper I SHOULD have been able to order for $695. At least the AEV will look unique. And yes, it will cost more than $1,100. Don't care.
I'm probably getting the AEV bumper as well. My wife is going to take my JLU (after I get it wrapped in Army Green) and keep the steel bumper I have there. I'm going to trade in her un-modded Jeep to get my JTR.

OP
OP
RickyR

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Thanks for the replies.. Yes, I am ordering a Gobi Rubicon, so glad to know I get the steel skid automatically. Sticking with looking for the OEM steel bumper, so no other options for me at this time..
Thanks again

WranglerWillys

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 Willy's MB
The "nutserts" that are on the front of the vehicle are different for the steel skid.

Holes already there.

I think the bumper supplier is swamped.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The JT Rubicon with the plastic bumper already has a steel skip plate up front. The only thing you need is the 3 piece or stubby MOPAR front bumper.

IMG_20190430_174654.jpg
This is sort of bad information. The JT Rubicon DOES come with a steel skid plate.

However it DOES NOT come with the CORRECT steel skid plate (82215183) to use with the 3 piece steel winch capable bumper assembly (82215121AB)

Nonetheless, $776 shipped is a screaming good deal for that bumper, and thanks I ordered one.

Now to find a deal on the correct skid plate, gotta be one cheaper than $200

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So I am finding TWO part numbers for steel skid pans that appear to work with the 3 piece steel front bumper:
82215183 which is indicated in the Mopar parts site as being needed for this bumper $200ish from numerous sites
and
68293984AB which is indicates as for use with 2018/19 JL and 2020 JT with steel front bumper $140ish from numerous sites

Do we have a Jeep parts person on the site who knows what the difference is between these two pans/numbers? Is this a part number revision?

They both appear to bolt up to the steel bumper the same way, and both look similar/same in pictures.

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
So I am finding TWO part numbers for steel skid pans that appear to work with the 3 piece steel front bumper:
82215183 which is indicated in the Mopar parts site as being needed for this bumper $200ish from numerous sites
and
68293984AB which is indicates as for use with 2018/19 JL and 2020 JT with steel front bumper $140ish from numerous sites

Do we have a Jeep parts person on the site who knows what the difference is between these two pans/numbers? Is this a part number revision?

They both appear to bolt up to the steel bumper the same way, and both look similar/same in pictures.
I don't know if my parts department is wrong or not but they are saying that the skid plate should work for the Steel Bumper. We are installing a Rubicon JT MOPAR bumper for a customer. Once it comes in I will share the results, and pictures. All I know is that the steel skid plate should work for my replacement bumper I am getting.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don't know if my parts department is wrong or not but they are saying that the skid plate should work for the Steel Bumper. We are installing a Rubicon JT MOPAR bumper for a customer. Once it comes in I will share the results, and pictures. All I know is that the steel skid plate should work for my replacement bumper I am getting.
The existing steel skid plate that comes with the plastic piece of shit, does not have a facility by design to bolt to the steel three piece which is required to provide the strength needed to serve as a winch platform.

But yes please share anything you know or discover.

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
Thanks for posting the link. That’s a fantastic price for the steel bumper considering the parts department wanted $1,000. Seems @JeepCares should consider a voucher or something for those of us ordering who are being forced to get plastic bumper.

Ordered mine. I guess I’ll figure out the skid plate after I actually take delivery of my rubicon in August.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks for posting the link. That’s a fantastic price for the steel bumper considering the parts department wanted $1,000. Seems @JeepCares should consider a voucher or something for those of us ordering who are being forced to get plastic bumper.

Ordered mine. I guess I’ll figure out the skid plate after I actually take delivery of my rubicon in August.
Here is the correct skid pan : https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-skid-plate-68293984ab $110 plus $12.89 shipping to East Texas which is also quite cheap for a chunk of steel that large
Sponsored