Sponsored

Steel or Synthetic

Drewellis93

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford F-150 FX4, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (on order)
I’m new to the winch game. Outside of the weight difference, what are the reasons to choose steel vs. synthetic or vice versa? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I’m new to the winch game. Outside of the weight difference, what are the reasons to choose steel vs. synthetic or vice versa? Thanks in advance!
my vote is synthetic. watch this video.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you can afford it, go synthetic... I bought my winch new in 2006, and it's been sitting brand new in the box ever since. I bought it for an offroad project that I ended up scrapping the idea, and then later selling. So the winch sat unopened in the box in my shop for the last 14 years. I finally got to use it on my JTR. It has a steel cable, because back then (this is no lie) just purchasing a synthetic winch cable (cable only) cost as much as an entire new Warn winch with a steel cable...It was over $1,000 for just a synthetic cable to go on your existing winch...In some cases more.

Now with technology, they're pretty cheap.

Synthetic is lighter, more flexible, less damaging to your hands and trees, and doesn't rust. But, a steel winch cable is still more resilient to the elements, and less likely to become so damaged that it's rendered useless, than a synthetic cable, and still can be utilized if a couple of strands get broken or popped.

There are pros and cons to both. Steel cable winches are still cheaper by a LONG shot.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
If your winch sits out exposed to the sun/weather you might want to go with steel. Although this sounds backwards exposure really does a number on synthetic. If you can keep a cover on it or park it inside or in the shade go for the synthetic.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I put synthetic on my side by side and quad and have never regretted it one bit. They get used about once every outing for the last three years. In general I feel way more comfortable having the wife and kids help rig and place the cable, as I am not worried about them getting impaled. Also, even though it is not recommended. I have used my winch rope as a tow rope twice when in a pickle. I run a plow on the quad in the winter and the synthetic rope has never missed a beat. Seemed to good to be true at first but after three years of regular use, it does the job!
Jeep Gladiator Steel or Synthetic 20200223_150811

Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I dont have a bunch of experience but have watched alot of videos on this subject. if things go bad and you or someone else is in the wrong spot the steel cable can literally cut you in half. The synthetic cable will still hurt but you will be intact. I just bought a winch and went synthetic. They are NOT alot more money.

If you are in the market I strongly suggest you google some videos. Whichever one you get, you have to be careful.

OP
OP

Drewellis93

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford F-150 FX4, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (on order)
Another newbie question. Is installing a winch myself difficult? Seems like I should be able to do it in the driveway, right?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Another newbie question. Is installing a winch myself difficult? Seems like I should be able to do it in the driveway, right?
it is and it isnt. Some bumper/winch combos take more work than others. For example: based on the following video there were issues with the winch plate fitting without brackets/rivnuts

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Some require you to install the winch in the bumper and then install the combo on the Jeep. It gets unwieldy by yourself

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know how to turn a wrench, and are mechanically inclined? Can you read instructions? Are you colorblind?

If your answers are "Yes, Yes, and No", then you should be able to install a winch yourself. :like:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Steel is strong and will take abuse. Keep it oiled and it will generally resist nearly anythig you can throw at it. Down side is weight, its heavy. At ~.25 pound per foot it doesn't sound like much until you are dragging it off a drum in mud. And the whiskers. Use a rope enough in tough conditions and you'll invariably break stands here and there and they will invariably stick up. Glove use becomes mandatory.

Synthetic is very different with ~.03 pound per foot and it floats. Soft and supple it is easy to work with the hands for splicing and eyes etc. It also has .7% stretch at 20% capacity for amsteel so its almost the definition of a static line for almost zero recoil. It needs to be UV protected and doesn't tolerate oil and grit contamination nor does it tolerate being dragged or bent over logs or rocks etc.

For most applications steel is a great and cost effective solution for most winch users, say you use it once a year and it lives on the winch getting rained on mostly. Synthetic is more expensive (but really how expensive when you can get 100 feet with the hawse and eye for 100 bucks) than steel but if you use using it regularly the cost is more than balanced by the weight savings and the utility of being able splice as you go, you can add an extension or a double lead quickly and easily.

If you are new to winches, save the money spent on the upgrade and buy some sheaves and shackles, say 4 shackles and 2 sheaves, and take the time to learn the winch. When you feel you've suffered enough then make the jump.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am new to winching as well as the Jeep family. I have a 12k winch I was planning for my other rig which I have bought a synthetic line, hook, and hawse fairleed. I am now thinking of putting those on the Jeep since it will definitely see more use than my other rig. My problem is the AZ sun beating on the synthetic line so I am torn on which line to use at this point. Good video, slightly terrifying as well.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
If you are setup for synthetic already, put it on. Just put a coveron it so it doesnt get womped by the sun. In operation the ambient heat won't be enough to degrade it and it'll feel a lot better on the hands than a hot glistening steel rope.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Now that I have used synthetic, I will probably never go back and I would be willing to pay double,or more.
Sponsored