First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I got my truck back Thursday with the new box, took only a month to get it done. Having gotten used the wonky steering WITH a bunch of extra caster dialed in, I wasn't sure I would notice the difference.

I did and do. It was totally worth the hassle.

I don't think I'll revert back to the stock LCA's, I don't see the downside to a little extra caster, but I am VERY pleased with the result. I know some folks don't feel impacted by the deficiencies in the steering box, so I'm curious - is ANYONE is going to pass on the TSB fix?
Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I'm leaning toward not having it done right now - I'm able to take my hands off the wheel at 65 mph on the freeway, and have the truck track straight for over a mile. I don't feel any pulling, or drifting, or any other steering issues (yet) so I think I'm just going to let others who really need the upgrade get their trucks fixed. If mine starts acting up I'll deal with it then.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaning toward not having it done right now - I'm able to take my hands off the wheel at 65 mph on the freeway, and have the truck track straight for over a mile. I don't feel any pulling, or drifting, or any other steering issues (yet) so I think I'm just going to let others who really need the upgrade get their trucks fixed. If mine starts acting up I'll deal with it then.
lucky lucky! Glad your not having any issues

i have kept my MPP LCAs, and fox steering stabilizer, on after the tsb. Absolutely can say theres an improvement. Ive been beating around putting my synergy brace back on...haven’t yet. But i still feel like im all over the lane on slightly windy days. I had a very annoying pop while i had the synergy brace on so ive held off for the sake of not hearing something making a not nice noise while turning the wheel

Nespeezy

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Just dropped mine off for tomorrow. I will let you know. Been waiting months.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Got mine done this past week. I had not found the original steering super objectionable - the original felt like a typical non-rack & pinion recirculating ball USA steering box, which is exactly what it is - it was a little wander-y under some conditions, such as high side winds on interstate flats, but not severe.

Improvement with the recall performed is more dramatic than I expected, the steering now feels truly precise and extremely responsive, to a degree that is downright surprising given the seriously old-school technology of the front end in these (I don't mean old school as a drawback, I like the simple, robust, technology).

Highly recommend getting this steering work done.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
so far, 13k miles and mine has had no steering issues so I wont get the tsb done until it needs it

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Unless mine stops driving and riding great I'll probably pass. Can't see how it would fix a problem I don't have.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
This is a joke or exaggeration right?
I'm not sure, I don't think mine will track straight for a mile, which my BMW 440i or mustang 5.0 want track straight for a mile, but mine will track straight for a good minute before a switch in the road or dip will throw it another way. If I had a good smooth flat surface, not a road which is graded to drain water, but a nice flat smooth surface, mine probably would stay straight forever. I literally got zero issue in mine. The two guys I speak to regularly around my area feel the same way about theirs.

With that said a mile would be a stretch for any vehicle I would think.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
lucky lucky! Glad your not having any issues

i have kept my MPP LCAs, and fox steering stabilizer, on after the tsb. Absolutely can say theres an improvement. Ive been beating around putting my synergy brace back on...haven’t yet. But i still feel like im all over the lane on slightly windy days. I had a very annoying pop while i had the synergy brace on so ive held off for the sake of not hearing something making a not nice noise while turning the wheel
Better get use to being all over the lanes when the wind blows, there is no fix for that, that 100% is a jeep thing. Every jeep wrangler I ever owned had that issue, even more so when you start raising them. The best way to go about limiting it is wider tires and wheels, or wheel spacers, it gives the jeep a little more stability. Also dialing your suspension in, especially lining up the lower control arms to how they sit stock, I used Geo Brackets on my JKU and that combined with the wider tires and spacers made it a lot less harder to handle when that gust comes along.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Better get use to being all over the lanes when the wind blows, there is no fix for that, that 100% is a jeep thing. Every jeep wrangler I ever owned had that issue, even more so when you start raising them. The best way to go about limiting it is wider tires and wheels, or wheel spacers, it gives the jeep a little more stability. Also dialing your suspension in, especially lining up the lower control arms to how they sit stock, I used Geo Brackets on my JKU and that combined with the wider tires and spacers made it a lot less harder to handle when that gust comes along.
Thank! Funny I actually had my dealer re torque my steering components after the tsb work was 3-4k miles on. They found the steering box bolts had loosened slightly. Since they tightened them its been way better, even with wind. It will of course always sway a bit, but the excessive sway is all gone for now.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've had my truck back from the TSB service for a few days now. It is MUCH better. The driveability has been vastly improved. (I did have to re-center the steering wheel, but so what.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You have until the 3 years runs out anyway - is this not covered under the 3 year part of the warranty? So if you waited a while then changed your mind, you'd be ok.
Only you can decide if it handles right for a light truck. It should do basically as well as something like, say, my Silverado did - and if you feel it's comparable to other light trucks or similar vehicles at this point in time - well, it's you driving it and your truck - and it honestly doesn't sound bad from your description.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
This is a joke or exaggeration right?
I'm not sure, I don't think mine will track straight for a mile, which my BMW 440i or mustang 5.0 want track straight for a mile, but mine will track straight for a good minute before a switch in the road or dip will throw it another way. If I had a good smooth flat surface, not a road which is graded to drain water, but a nice flat smooth surface, mine probably would stay straight forever. I literally got zero issue in mine. The two guys I speak to regularly around my area feel the same way about theirs.

With that said a mile would be a stretch for any vehicle I would think.
Not an exaggeration at all - 60 mph is 1 mile per minute. I was able to let go of my steering wheel for OVER a minute at 65 mph on a straight, smooth section of freeway and it tracked straight the entire time.

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I picked up my JT in July and thought the steering felt loose. I chalked it up to "It's a Jeep thing" and that I was used to driving Sport Hatches. Once the TSB came outin Aug, I had mine done within 2 weeks. I noticed a difference before I drove out of the dealership. Much improved, and I am a happy JTR owner now.
Sponsored