Sponsored

Steering gear issue (After TSB replacement)

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
So..... Took my 20 JT Sport in for first oil change and tire rotation. Ever since my TSB fix in Sept I have had a popping sound coming from steering wheel. Mentioned it to the service advisor when I made my appointment earlier this week. After checking it today, advisor told me they had found my issue, it was the new steering gear that had been replaced in Sept and new gear has been ordered for me. I'll get a call when it comes in to schedule appointment to replace my replacement. I wonder how long I'll have to wait as no time frame could be given. Fingers crossed!
Sponsored

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer told me today that they cant order the part until 20 Feb or later and quote ā€œcannot guarantee we will honor the TSB if you lift itā€.

good grief. šŸ™„šŸ™„
I've already had mine replaced once. No lift on my JT yet however am thinking of 2 inch lift in the near future. I was assured my parts were ordered today without hesitation. So I'm hoping they arrive quickly. If I have issues from the current gear I will make sure proper corrections or replacement of parts are made.

M&L Motors has done me right so far and I have had no complaints with their service. I trust they will continue with this level of customer satisfaction.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
So..... Took my 20 JT Sport in for first oil change and tire rotation. Ever since my TSB fix in Sept I have had a popping sound coming from steering wheel. Mentioned it to the service advisor when I made my appointment earlier this week. After checking it today, advisor told me they had found my issue, it was the new steering gear that had been replaced in Sept and new gear has been ordered for me. I'll get a call when it comes in to schedule appointment to replace my replacement. I wonder how long I'll have to wait as no time frame could be given. Fingers crossed!
Can you be more specific about the popping sound? Does it do it when you turn lock to lock? Or just occasionally, like backing up and then moving and turning forward etc?

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you be more specific about the popping sound? Does it do it when you turn lock to lock? Or just occasionally, like backing up and then moving and turning forward etc?
When I first start up, turn wheel left or right, can hear small whine, then can hear the pop coming from the area of the gear box. First pop is loud then second and consecutive are quieter. As I'm driving and cut the wheel either way, can hear and feel it. Sounds almost like the gear are not in sync. Hope that helps.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
When I first start up, turn wheel left or right, can hear small whine, then can hear the pop coming from the area of the gear box. First pop is loud then second and consecutive are quieter. As I'm driving and cut the wheel either way, can hear and feel it. Sounds almost like the gear are not in sync. Hope that helps.
Thanks.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
ā€˜Mine had a similar pop that developed a Few weeks before I took it in for the steering box No more popping after the TSB. I never mentioned it to the service writer as I figured it was with the box. If not the box, I figured they would discover it during the process.I opted not toconfu things and start with one fix at a time.

They didnā€™t mention any extra work and the pop is gone, so hereā€™s hoping the TSB takes care of it like mine. Good luck.

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜Mine had a similar pop that developed a Few weeks before I took it in for the steering box No more popping after the TSB. I never mentioned it to the service writer as I figured it was with the box. If not the box, I figured they would discover it during the process.I opted not toconfu things and start with one fix at a time.

They didnā€™t mention any extra work and the pop is gone, so hereā€™s hoping the TSB takes care of it like mine. Good luck.

I appreciate that, I've already had one gear box replacement, hoping this replacement of the replacement fixes the new problem.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate that, I've already had one gear box replacement, hoping this replacement of the replacement fixes the new problem.
Did yours have the popping immediately after the replacement? Mine developed at about 10k miles on the original box. wondering if this may return as things wear in.

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did yours have the popping immediately after the replacement? Mine developed at about 10k miles on the original box. wondering if this may return as things wear in.

No, took about three weeks or so. At first thought it could be fluid which was a hair low. Also thought it could be break in. It progressively got to where it is now and knew something else was going on.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey! I heard you're working with one of our Jeep dealers. If you happen to need additional support while working alongside your dealer, please let us know via private messages. Otherwise, I hope everything gets resolved quickly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey! I heard you're working with one of our Jeep dealers. If you happen to need additional support while working alongside your dealer, please let us know via private messages. Otherwise, I hope everything gets resolved quickly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Thank you Courtney, I certainly will !

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Update*

I called M&L Motors this afternoon on my way to work to check status of my ordered parts. Spoke with the parts department and the actual lady who orders the gears. She stated the new upgraded gear was in and my bolts were supposed to be in this morning but, had not arrived. She is hoping they will be in first thing Wednesday morning. Things seem to be looking good for me. She did state FCA is only allowing ordering one gear every seven days. I'm just happy with all the gears being replaced, they have prioritized a customer with a failed replacement. The popping it getting more noticeable and has me just a bit concerned. I'm a big boy though and will wait as long as it takes. Fingers still crossed though ..... lol

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
*Update*

I called M&L Motors this afternoon on my way to work to check status of my ordered parts. Spoke with the parts department and the actual lady who orders the gears. She stated the new upgraded gear was in and my bolts were supposed to be in this morning but, had not arrived. She is hoping they will be in first thing Wednesday morning. Things seem to be looking good for me. She did state FCA is only allowing ordering one gear every seven days. I'm just happy with all the gears being replaced, they have prioritized a customer with a failed replacement. The popping it getting more noticeable and has me just a bit concerned. I'm a big boy though and will wait as long as it takes. Fingers still crossed though ..... lol
Thanks for sharing that update with us! I'm glad you and your dealer are making progress with this repair process. Should you run into any obstacles, you know where to find us. Have an awesome weekend!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
4xjeepr

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing that update with us! I'm glad you and your dealer are making progress with this repair process. Should you run into any obstacles, you know where to find us. Have an awesome weekend!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thanks Courtney, still not heard back on the arrival of my bolts. Do you know of why this may be slow from the depot? I was told they were available.
Sponsored