Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
PLEASE read questions carefully before responding.
This is NOT for the DW/death wobble issue. Let's please keep that a distinct issue because it is a distinct issue with difference causes from the "loose steering" problem some experience.
* Loose steering as if worn steering sector or loose linkage only please.
This is NOT intended for discussion.
Please use the multiple other threads to discuss causes, impact on your vehicle or you, past experiences, etc.
This is only to collect information and only about LOOSE steering or wander with trouble getting it back in line.
I tried to cover and determine who has the loose or wandering steering issue - and whether or not you have owned OTHER solid axle Jeeps such as Wranglers and others - NOT to include Jeep with independent from suspension such as Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty and so on. Those are very different design.

I hope I have the basics covered -
Yes and this is my first solid axle Jeep
Yes and I have owned other solid axle Jeeps and they did this
Yes and I have owned other solid axle Jeeps and they did NOT do this.
No and I have owned other similar Jeeps (meaning with the same axle design)
No and this is my first solid axle Jeep

There are threads all over the place here - multiple - and I'd like to QUANTIFY who has the LOOSE STEERING issue and whether or not it's your first solid axle Jeep or not (because some claim they ALL do it to some extent)

I also want to see numbers. People with problems with an item are more likely to hit the web and complain about said problems so this is not scientific since it will include only forum members - not a representative crowd here as this is but a small subset of all Jeep JT owners and a smaller subset of Jeep owners overall.
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Havenā€™t received mine yet, but did test drive in a sport, an overland and a Rubicon and all three drove fine - no steering issues.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I test drove a different Gladiator Rubicon. My Gladiator was delivered to my driveway, and no issues were noticed on my way back to the dealership (10 miles) for signing and payment.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I voted. I'd like to see the results for those who are experiencing loose steering, how many have modified their Jeeps? (lifts, steering components, etc.)

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine didnā€™t have loose steering stock or with lift & upgraded parts

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I voted. I'd like to see the results for those who are experiencing loose steering, how many have modified their Jeeps? (lifts, steering components, etc.)
That's a point but my reasoning here was that we're trying to quantify a problem that was FCA's doing.
JEEP'S problem they are responsible for.
Scrub angle, wheel offset, caster changes, so many other things involved that have huge negative impacts on steering when you blindly modify for looks and the golly-gee-whiz that's mondo-cool effect to get likes.
This is for those who found the issue on the way home from the dealer with a new, stock, JT and it's Jeep's issue, not something introduced by putting non-MOPAR, non-JT parts on it.

BX_KAY

First Name
KENNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR/ 2018 JLUR
I had a 2016 JKU
Now have a 2018 JLU Rubicon and a 2020 JT Rubicon. The JL had a steering damper recall. Feels great now. The JT has 1k miles on it. I've taken it back to the dealer twice the loose steering is much better, but the steering wheel is still about 2 degrees to the left to drive in a straight line.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Not voting in the poll but my Rubi has pulled to the right since day 1. I didn't care because I was planning on leveling kit.. Installed leveling kit and took to the alignment shop. They said it's dead on but not enough castor. I have the Mopar control arms for 2" lift but haven't installed yet.

My drive home from the dealer was shit until I lowered the psi in my tires. Steering seems tight for a Jeep.

I come from lifted xj's, WK, and JKs

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Was a little hesitant to vote because this is my first jeep, solid axle, and a 4wd. Honestly didn't know what to expect. If I had to describe the steering, I believe it is loose compared to other CARs I've driven. And mine pulls to the right as well as some people mentioned. However, I'm less sensitive to these kind of things, so it doesn't bother me that much. With that being said, if there is a fix for this and improves the steering, I would for sure take it in.

Sponsored

Like_coffee

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
This might be my anecdotal experience, but I might have a solution to those experiencing issues. I was experiencing considerable "looseness" in the steering (lots of simple corrections while driving). Even though I've driven a JK a number of times, this is my first Jeep and I thought maybe was this is a Jeep thing I'm now noticing because it's my daily driver. I was dead set on installing an aftermarket stabilizer because I preferred my vehicle to feel more planted.

However, I installed a tonneau cover last night, and this morning I noticed that my drive experience was noticeably better. Better enough that I likely won't be installing a stabilizer unless I need to when I change my suspension and add larger tires. It's as if the turbulence caused by an open bed resulted in an unstable driving experience and now that's gone. It's still not stiff and responsive like you'd expect from a performance car but it's certainly stable now.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This might be my anecdotal experience, but I might have a solution to those experiencing issues. I was experiencing considerable "looseness" in the steering (lots of simple corrections while driving). Even though I've driven a JK a number of times, this is my first Jeep and I thought maybe was this is a Jeep thing I'm now noticing because it's my daily driver. I was dead set on installing an aftermarket stabilizer because I preferred my vehicle to feel more planted.

However, I installed a tonneau cover last night, and this morning I noticed that my drive experience was noticeably better. Better enough that I likely won't be installing a stabilizer unless I need to when I change my suspension and add larger tires. It's as if the turbulence caused by an open bed resulted in an unstable driving experience and now that's gone. It's still not stiff and responsive like you'd expect from a performance car but it's certainly stable now.
You do realize that many, if not most, of these will have some sort of cover already, and a cover would realistically have no impact on the PLAY.
We are talking play in steering, not stability, which is very different. Stabilizers don't deal with play. Looseness isn't why you were making corrections, wander is.
You are confusing looseness with wander or instability.
If it wanders and there is play in the steering you have to move the wheel an inch or more before the front wheels will respond - it's not "lots of simple corrections while driving".
Bottom line -
Tonneau and play cannot be connected.

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ā€˜91 Wrangler, ā€˜08 GTI, ā€˜11 GTI
I had a 2016 JKU
Now have a 2018 JLU Rubicon and a 2020 JT Rubicon. The JL had a steering damper recall. Feels great now. The JT has 1k miles on it. I've taken it back to the dealer twice the loose steering is much better, but the steering wheel is still about 2 degrees to the left to drive in a straight line.
Oh my Goodness! Thatā€™s exactly what mine is.

Like_coffee

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
You do realize that many, if not most, of these will have some sort of cover already, and a cover would realistically have no impact on the PLAY.
We are talking play in steering, not stability, which is very different. Stabilizers don't deal with play. Looseness isn't why you were making corrections, wander is.
You are confusing looseness with wander or instability.
If it wanders and there is play in the steering you have to move the wheel an inch or more before the front wheels will respond - it's not "lots of simple corrections while driving".
Bottom line -
Tonneau and play cannot be connected.
Maybe what I was experiencing was more than one issue then. I do still experience a bit of wander (takes an inch or so of steering wheel movement for the wheels to react), however I was also making an insane number of corrections at highway speeds. At least if I'm holding the steering wheel in a fixed position, I'm no longer making a correction moments later. It now holds a line. It would not do that for me until this mornings commute.

I don't know the mechanics of it. But it wasn't even on my mind until I realized I was cruising comfortably and then it dawned on me that the only change was the tonneau. Just sharing my anecdotal experience.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe what I was experiencing was more than one issue then. I do still experience a bit of wander (takes an inch or so of steering wheel movement for the wheels to react), however I was also making an insane number of corrections at highway speeds. At least if I'm holding the steering wheel in a fixed position, I'm no longer making a correction moments later. It now holds a line. It would not do that for me until this mornings commute.

I don't know the mechanics of it. But it wasn't even on my mind until I realized I was cruising comfortably and then it dawned on me that the only change was the tonneau. Just sharing my anecdotal experience.
Keep in mind wind impacts these things bigger than almost any other truck out there. Even only 10mph as I've found, has a big impact on handling. So if there was any wind at all, even if you didn't think it that windy, then the wind was different or not there...........
Sponsored