Steering issues

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Picked up my 2021 Gladiator Sport S between Christmas and New Years. The steering is terrible, I'm all over the road, I can barely keep it between the white lines. It's taken all of the fun out of driving it. I found several videos on installing the Synergy front track & sector shaft brace which folks seem to have had great success with and I was about ready to order it. Then I ran across a few threads and posts where some folks are getting the dealer to fix the problem under warranty but I'm not sure if my '21 would qualify. Anyone have experience recently with a '21 JT having steering issues that the dealer fixed or is it just the '20 models that are getting fixed? Thanks.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
2021 has the new steering box so you wouldn't qualify for the TSB

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
2021 has the new steering box so you wouldn't qualify for the TSB
That's what I was afraid of. So I guess my only option is spending $300 on the brace. You would have thought Jeep would have taken care of this issue with the '21 model, so frustrating. Thanks.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I was afraid of. So I guess my only option is spending $300 on the brace. You would have thought Jeep would have taken care of this issue with the '21 model, so frustrating. Thanks.
Take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. Mines not steering bad at all and I got a 2020 model but they are doing the TSB on mine tomorrow anyway. I'd check your track bar, drag link and tie rod and make sure all those things look like they aren't loose. Maybe put a wrench on them, especially the Track bar, that's where .ost of your steering issues come from. Do those things before buying the brace.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. Mines not steering bad at all and I got a 2020 model but they are doing the TSB on mine tomorrow anyway. I'd check your track bar, drag link and tie rod and make sure all those things look like they aren't loose. Maybe put a wrench on them, especially the Track bar, that's where .ost of your steering issues come from. Do those things before buying the brace.
Thanks I made an appointment at the dealer next week.

Sponsored

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
Check to make sure your tires are not over inflated.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Check to make sure your tires are not over inflated.
Yeah I've heard that. I'm at about 33 psi cold, they warm up to 36 psi. I don't think that is too high, not positive for sure. I'm running the 33" Falken Wildpeak M/T, 285/70/17 tires. Is that too high for those tires? Thanks.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Or is it possibly too low? I'm seeing a lot of recommendations at 36-38 psi, with 37 psi being thrown around too. ?
36 psi should be about right for those tires. Depending on how much weight you have added to the JT if any at all. If your sitting stock then I'd say PSI wise your about right. If you have added weight like a front/rear bumper, winch ect...then I'd say you should lower it a little. 33's don't require much difference than the smaller size, when you get over that is when tire pressure really matters and these Jeep's are different than the wranglers as far as what psi to run, they weigh more than a wrangler does.

Sponsored

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
did you make it into the dealer? curious as to the outcome, dealers input
Yes, I’m curious about this also.
My ‘21 has a little bit of the same play, just enough to be noticeable, running the same tires as OP. It needs little corrections that my ‘04 LJ and ‘11 Superduty have never needed.
It would be interesting for others with ‘21’s to chime in here, as I have seen a few mentions of this in other threads.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Yes, I’m curious about this also.
My ‘21 has a little bit of the same play, just enough to be noticeable, running the same tires as OP. It needs little corrections that my ‘04 LJ and ‘11 Superduty have never needed.
It would be interesting for others with ‘21’s to chime in here, as I have seen a few mentions of this in other threads.
Unfortunately I haven't gotten into the dealer yet, couldn't get an appointment that worked with my schedule and the bad weather. When I'm reading folks saying they run 36-38 psi, they are always referring to cold tire pressure, correct? That's what I'm assuming. So at 33 psi cold, which is where I am now, I might be running a little low. I might for shites and grins try adding 3 or 4 psi cold per tire and see what happens, but I still have to get into the dealer. Thanks for the comments.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has a problem steering me away from eye candy. I told her I’m young at heart and still have a sweet tooth but not for old prunes.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
My wife has a problem steering me away from eye candy. I told her I’m young at heart and still have a sweet tooth but not for old prunes.
And your still able to type and put coherent sentences together? Lucky man.