Steering locked while driving

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
Has anyone else had an issue with their 2020 Gladiator steering locking while driving on the highway? It happened to me today while driving at 40 mph, around a curve. Luckily, no one was close behind me. I applied my brakes, and was able to unlock it, before landing in the ditch.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Go over to the Wrangler side (JLWranglerForums.com) and search...they had lots of issues with that in the beginning of JL production.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I hope this isn't a recall in the making. Glad you're ok. Could have been really bad.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else had an issue with their 2020 Gladiator steering locking while driving on the highway? It happened to me today while driving at 40 mph, around a curve. Luckily, no one was close behind me. I applied my brakes, and was able to unlock it, before landing in the ditch.
Question - did it lock or did you lose power assist to the steering sector, then regain the power assist?
I assume the wheel wasn't centered when this happened as you describe a curve........

OP
OP

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
Question - did it lock or did you lose power assist to the steering sector, then regain the power assist?
I assume the wheel wasn't centered when this happened as you describe a curve........
That could have been it as I was coming out of a curve. All I know is that the steering wheel wouldn't move and I was headed for the ditch.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Phyllis,
We sincerely regret to hear about your experience. If you decide to have your dealer take a look, our team is available PM if additional assistance is needed.
Alex
JeepCares

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That could have been it as I was coming out of a curve. All I know is that the steering wheel wouldn't move and I was headed for the ditch.
I would have it looked into - EITHER way is not good - DUH, right? Scary at best. Dangerous - or deadly at the worst.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
They said they would try to duplicate it, but it took over 700 miles for it to happen, so who knows when or if it will happen again. I did look at the Wrangler forum and it appears to have happened a few times. I would think that there should be a quality system and a database or something to refer to for issues like this.

JeepWill19

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
We took the gladiator to another dealership and they ran some tests and based on some code, found that the ground wire was loose. I drove it to work today with no issues. Just hoping it doesn't do it again.
Can you post a picture of the ground wire in question?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Loose ground wire is definitely a plausible cause. I would also like a picture if you know where it is on the truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Loose ground wire is definitely a plausible cause. I would also like a picture if you know where it is on the truck.
Ditto.

We took the gladiator to another dealership and they ran some tests and based on some code, found that the ground wire was loose. I drove it to work today with no issues. Just hoping it doesn't do it again.
And it makes sense, fits the "what if it was a lack of pressure assist - then it came back (luckily!)
Doesn't matter in the end - bottom line, GLAD it was SIMPLE, HOPE it was RESOLVED, and very glad YOU are OK.
Sponsored