Steering stabilizers - stock vs Fox IFP vs. Fox adjustable ATS

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Hey all just wanted to give you my experience from comparing the steering stabilizers.

I initially had the stock one like us all. My steering has always been decent, not a lot of play. I ended up getting some Rubi take off shocks for my max tow, so I decided to buy the fox IPF to match and maybe tighten things up a bit. I installed the IPF, but then noticed when I compressed it to install, it extended outward slowly on its own. I called quadratec, they said it shouldn’t do that, and it should be neutral pressure. Wherever you move it, it should stay. They said they would send me a new one, and I said what the heck if I have to pull this off again I may as well get the adjustable ATS for its flexibility.

I road around w/ the IPF for about week waiting the ATS, and honestly it tightened up the steering just enough to it definitely felt better. Since I already had the ATS on the way, I just waited for it, and installed it last night.

the IFP install was easy. 10 minutes tops. The ATS was a pain in the ass because of the control arms and the plate didn’t match up perfectly with the 3 mount bolts. It took me over an hour screwing with it to get it right.

This morning I drove with the ATS, set it at 16 clicks (as recommend from another forum member) and honestly couldn’t tell any difference, except my steering pulled to the right, and I had over steer to the left (attached pictures, first is right lane, second is left lane). I then set it to “0” clicks, drove about 10 miles, and it felt very similar. I then set it to max clicks (tightest mode) and could barely tell the difference. I then repeated this for just highway driving, same results.

I was expecting more tightness from the steering, but in my experience, it was barely noticeable. If anything on the highway I felt like I had more of a dead space in the steering that I didn’t have with the IFP.

Long story short, I’m really disappointed, and wish I would had gone with the nexus 2.2 adjustable. The reviews say the differences between the modes are really noticeable with the 2.2.

I’m going to just through the IFP back on and return the ATS. IFP is worth $143, the ATS is NOT worth $250 more, not even close. My recommendation ... go with the fox IFP, and save $250.

View attachment 53942

80D344A9-F563-4D62-9D06-5EA837921B66.jpeg

AD7AADB2-E941-49A0-AE3A-072212013D24.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX being replaced by Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
Thanks for the honest opinion and comparison. I’ve got an ATS sitting in the garage that hasn’t been installed because it was originally intended for the JK and I was going to use the relocation kit to install, was going to wait until the weather warmed up to mess with. Had the Falcon 2.2 on my old JKURX, the falcon was an excellent addition with my 4.5” of lift and 37’s. I certainly noticed the reduction in road feedback from the 37’s in either the medium or firm setting, at firm the steering wheel did not re-center on its own but gave the best firmness.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
So I reinstalled the IFP, and honestly, the Jeep drives better than with the ATS in any setting. No looseness in steering, no crooked steering wheel, steering is tight over bumps.

I will say that I’m not a fan of how the replacement mount plate attaches to the shock with the ATS. Two little small Allen bolts hold the two together, pretty small in caliber. I would have LOW confidence in these two attach points if I was running 37s or 38s.... but that’s just my opinion. The install manual recommends putting lock tight on these, but I could imagine if that lock tight failed, the bolts would come loose, thus that end would drop, which could be semi catastrophic.

Deleted member 28614

I just need some clarification, just ordered the Fox IFP for my Overland with no lift yet. I just saw in one of the write-ups that It needs to be installed with a 1.5” lift, but the article was referencing JL’s. Is this going to install on my truck with stock height? Thanks

Sponsored

Deleted member 28614

Thanks for the quick response. I believe it is the one most people ordered, the Fox 985-24-173 2.0 off Amazon.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the 985-02-127 off of Amazon yesterday morning. Will report back when it finally comes in and I get it installed. It's the TS 2.0 (non-adjustable) steering stabilizer, but it's the body-through design like the ATS.

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX being replaced by Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
Ended up installing my JK ATS with a Yeti relocation bracket and my old Synergy tie rod clamp. At 17 clicks, it runs very similar to the olde Falcon adjustable. Haven’t turned it up to the full 25 clicks, but at my current setting everything is firm, no pulling/pushing and steering wheel returns to center just fine.
Sponsored