First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
After looking at the comments, reviews, and pricing on Amazon, that was what I ended up ordering this morning.
It’s a pretty simple job, anything to slow down air waves but keep them coming through will do the trick.

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
This gets more confusing. Crutchfield shows that, what is also compatible in regards to adding an amplifier when you already have the Alpine upgrade, is a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 used in conjunction with an i Datalink HRN-AR-CH4. Crutchfield is at a bit of a loss as to what actually will work because they cant find any shcematics or pictures of the wiring for the 2024 with the 12 inch screen. This is getting way over my head and if Crutchfiled is a bit stumped I am not sure any local installer is going to know better
Get the PAC. I had the DSR1 in my last Gladiator and did not like it. Gave me problems from time to time also ..

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
I just took delivery of a 2024 gladiator sport S. I got it with the upgraded Alpine stereo system, but I am underwhelmed by the sound. Does anybody know if any of the speakers or subwoofer can be upgraded and if an amplifier can be put in? Thank you.
Can you be more specific with what underwhelms you? There's a lot of information and misinformation about speakers online. Personally, I wouldn't trust most people at Best Buy to be the most informed about it ( I know there are exceptions)

If you could highlight specific deficiencies (sub bass, bass, mids, highs, etc) then it would be easier to recommend which speakers to replace and what to replace them with.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been messing with car audio for a little while (since the 90s). I would tread carefully. If you have a soft top upgrading the sound system is mostly pointless. However, even with the hardtop, the more volume you’re moving, the more bass, the more the truck rattles. The good news is most people seem to think the Gladiator sounds better than the JL. But we’re still talking about a steel tub with an uninsulated fiberglass top with a bunch of plastic panels clipped to the roll bar and tub. You have to manage expectations.

Some of the better sound shops around here will tackle Jeeps as an engineering challenge but the honest ones will mostly snort at Jeeps and tell you “they don’t hold bass.” To be clear modern JK series forward Jeeps are significantly better and better insulated, but the basic design and relative lack of insulation is still going to really limit things.

The first mod I did, wasn’t speakers. It was full Sound Assassin floor liners and Headliners from @Hothead Headliners. The second mod should have been an Armorlite floor for over top the Sound Assassins. That came later but helped even more. You’ve got to clean up the sound stage before you start throwing more volume or speakers with better dynamic range. Never has there been a vehicle that benefits from Dynamat, etc., like a Jeep.

I would also crank the stock system up and find all the existing rattles. My security gateway and my adaptive cruise control sensor cover both rattle particularly from human voices, e.g., news/talk radio.

The one area everyone agrees upon is replacing the top dash speakers. I had the Kenwoods, but they developed a rattle. Now I have the Infinity’s and I like them more, but both will improve clarity and get rid of most of the muddiness. For a lot of people this is enough. For me it was good enough to not want make me want to go further considering the complexity of doing so.

The problem with upgrading the Sound Bar speakers is that you’re improving a sound stage that’s above and behind your head. These speakers are mostly good for getting the volume you need to overcome top down driving, where all quality is moot and you just need more gain anyway. So far the Alpine speakers have been adequate for this and of adequate quality for rear fill, paired with the upgraded dash speakers. I’d actually be concerned with improving the clarity of the highs from these speakers given the competing front sound stage of the top dash speakers. The stock Alpine system, whatever people think of it, was designed as a system.

The knee speakers are hard to get to. I wouldn’t pay some kid at Best Buy to do this. You need to take the time to do it carefully. I’ve gone into the dash a few times so I don’t remember which job requires it, but some require disconnecting the passenger airbag. Also, once you go into the dash you will often induce more rattles that weren’t there before. You need to take the time to do it carefully and correctly.

My stock sub induced a rattle in the plastic grill in front of it so I fixed that by adding some rubber tubing between the grill and enclosure. I also added some polyfill to the box and sealed the speaker itself better to its enclosure w/ rtv. I believe it’s a ported box but it’s been a while. This tightened up the sound a bit. But getting to the speaker requires removing the rear wall panel of the truck which will break. Personally I don’t think the truck needs more bass that’s within the limit of what won’t induce serious rattling. I can imaging my old single sealed JL 10 box would make the truck a rattling mess. There’s very little space under the front seats so a sub box there is going to be tiny with very little volume for the specs of any decent speaker. I assume those are ported but still I would imagine it’s going to be underwhelming and it will require an amp.

Wiring is another area I wouldn’t let Best Buy techs touch my truck. This is a CanBus system with lots of sensitive electronics. I don’t want some idiot rooting around under my dash looking to tap any hot wire. They and Circuit City, when it was around, have always had a reputation for fucking up peoples OEM electronics. I would run power back to the battery. The whole exercise is involved and expensive and I’m not sure it’s worth it considering how badly Jeeps typically handle bass.
considering I drive with the top down and doors off at every chance i can. It sounds great stock with all the wind to hide any Bass rattles. ima just leave it stock. I still want an armorlite floor and i'd still sound deaden it while in there regardless. But for a streetable offroad toy, its sounds better than an economy car and thats good enough for me. I aint looking for Benz level of acoustics or more things to fail when i get the interior wet. just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hyemm

First Name
Mardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
Get the PAC. I had the DSR1 in my last Gladiator and did not like it. Gave me problems from time to time also ..
considering I drive with the top down and doors off at every chance i can. It sounds great stock with all the wind to hide any Bass rattles. ima just leave it stock. I still want an armorlite floor and i'd still sound deaden it while in there regardless. But for a streetable offroad toy, its sounds better than an economy car and thats good enough for me. I aint looking for Benz level of acoustics or more things to fail when i get the interior wet. just my 2 cents.
I am having trouble following you on the floor liners (I already added sound deadening headliners). Where do you install the Sound Assassin floor liners and the Armorlite floor?

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I am having trouble following you on the floor liners (I already added sound deadening headliners). Where do you install the Sound Assassin floor liners and the Armorlite floor?
you put down the sound deadening material of your choice on the bare sheet metal floor and then install the armorlite flooring over the top of it.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
The Sound Assassins are like Dynamat but thinner. It’s a sticky rubber with a foil top. You pull all the seats and adhere this to the floor.

Jeep Gladiator Stereo upgrade IMG_1747

The Armorlite floor will fit over this, but it’s tricky. I made it work.

Jeep Gladiator Stereo upgrade IMG_1749

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I just took delivery of a 2024 gladiator sport S. I got it with the upgraded Alpine stereo system, but I am underwhelmed by the sound. Does anybody know if any of the speakers or subwoofer can be upgraded and if an amplifier can be put in? Thank you.
Go to Crutchfield to get an idea of what options you have. I know your going to Best Buy but having more information is good.
I have a 21 Sport S and replaced the dash and roll bar speakers plus a 2-channel amp for the roll bar speakers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

OP
OP

Hyemm

First Name
Mardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
The Sound Assassins are like Dynamat but thinner. It’s a sticky rubber with a foil top. You pull all the seats and adhere this to the floor.

The Armorlite floor will fit over this, but it’s tricky. I made it work.
Go to Crutchfield to get an idea of what options you have. I know your going to Best Buy but having more information is good.
I have a 21 Sport S and replaced the dash and roll bar speakers plus a 2-channel amp for the roll bar speakers.

I am not dealing with Best Buy at all now. I have been working very closely with Crutchfield, however, Crutchfield, and the other major supplier of the jeep stereo upgrades are not up-to-date on the 2024 gladiator. There have been some changes to it that affect the ability to do certain upgrades for the stereo, so things are in a bit of a state of flux right now

Sponsored

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I picked up my 2024 with upgraded Alpine yesterday and agree the sound is not great. To my ear, the dash speakers are just flat and muddy, making the whole system suffer. My plan is to replace the dash speakers with Infinity Reference REF307F . These *should* be a perfect fit.
I put the Infinity REF-3032CFX speakers in dash on my 21 Sport S and what a difference compared to the factory speakers.

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I am not dealing with Best Buy at all now. I have been working very closely with Crutchfield, however, Crutchfield, and the other major supplier of the jeep stereo upgrades are not up-to-date on the 2024 gladiator. There have been some changes to it that affect the ability to do certain upgrades for the stereo, so things are in a bit of a state of flux right now
Check out Trail Seven. They make custom harnesses for easier stereo installation.

https://trailseven.com/collections/jeep-gladiator-jt

OP
OP

Hyemm

First Name
Mardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Occupation
Attorney

RoamingGladiator

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Trail seven is not selling anything for the 2024 gladiator. I spoke to them and they said they’re not comfortable yet with the schematic for amp/head unit wiring and for sound bar speakers.
Unfortunately, with the 24s just coming out and things being redesigned its going to take some time for vendors to get updated.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Trail seven is not selling anything for the 2024 gladiator. I spoke to them and they said they’re not comfortable yet with the schematic for amp/head unit wiring and for sound bar speakers.
It shouldn’t be that hard to add speakers and an amp. Run new wiring and bypass everything if you have to. Is the head unit that complicated?
Sponsored

Last edited: