Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 Mojave with:
3" JKS lift
Falcon 2.1 steering stabilizer
stock tires

Upon starting in the morning when it is cold, the steering is very stiff for the first 5 or 10 feet of driving. Once I am out of my driveway, everything is normal. I have not noticed it at night when leaving work, but it is not that cold at that time either. I have no other steering issues. Do you think this is a Jeep power steering issue, Falcon issue, just normal response when it is cold? I have not experienced this with any other vehicle I have owned.
Sponsored

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I've experienced this as well. I'm still waiting on a new steering gearbox to arrive which will hopefully fix it. Dealer is replacing it under warranty for a separate issue however, from the early version to the newer more heavy duty one being put into new trucks. Mine is a 2020 max tow and I regularly carry heavy loads. Not sure what causing it.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have the new steering box and have not had an issues with it. Perhaps I need to get it checked.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
(21 JTR, auto, gas) So have any of you checked for an air lock in the power steering? My issue wasn’t stiff steering, it was the pump would quit when really hot. But where I think we are the same is that I believe this electric hydraulic system has an air lock problem. I found my air lock twice. Once with the old pump, it was 1/2 litre shy from the factory and I didn’t know from looking at the reservoir, it read full.

The pump kept quitting until I burped out the 1/2 litre bubble, then it seemed to behave until later summer, early fall then it started quitting again. Dealership said pump was shot and replaced it under warranty. The second pump is great. I recently been chasing a whine so one of the things I did was check for an air lock in that one too and wouldn’t you know it, it did and again the level read full.

(If you’re doing this yourself)
Jack up the front and get the wheels off the ground. Leave engine off, crack the steering reservoir cap, stuff rags around to catch the oil that will push out with the air lock, grab the driver’s front wheel and move it full left and right 30-50 times. Keep your eye on that bottle and watch the level rise and fall with the air lock. You may have to top up as you go if the level drops and the system drinks.
(If you have someone with you, it’s easier to steer with the steering wheel.)

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, I will take a loop at that. It was super stiff this morning when it was 30deg.

Sponsored

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks, I will take a loop at that. It was super stiff this morning when it was 30deg.
did anything end up coming from this? I have had the steering box already changed back in 2021 with the upgraded steering box. I noticed on some cold mornings in my driveway it’s a little bit stiff until I turn it to 10 or two and then it frees up. Driving a few minutes it basically goes away.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
did anything end up coming from this? I have had the steering box already changed back in 2021 with the upgraded steering box. I noticed on some cold mornings in my driveway it’s a little bit stiff until I turn it to 10 or two and then it frees up. Driving a few minutes it basically goes away.
Mine does the same in cold weather. I just assumed it was my sector shaft brace bearing starting to fail.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
No, it was never fixed. The dealer and my Indy shop looked at it. I have the newer steering box, and this is the only symptom I ever have.

Dickster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon, 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L
Occupation
Sheet metal
Change the fluid out. It is a hydraulic system and cold weather will effect it.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@Dickster The stealership said they tried that, but who knows. My JT goes to my indy mechanic in January for unnecessary upgrades, I will have him change the fluid and see. The odd thing is that it does not do it every cold start, just randomly. It may do it every day, then not again for five days. Same temps, same parking spot.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Dickster The stealership said they tried that, but who knows. My JT goes to my indy mechanic in January for unnecessary upgrades, I will have him change the fluid and see. The odd thing is that it does not do it every cold start, just randomly. It may do it every day, then not again for five days. Same temps, same parking spot.
Number one, I’m jealous that that you somehow have an Indy mechanic. Please explain. But I’d love to know if you figure this thing out. Do you have a sector shaft brace? I do, and suspect it’s at least involved.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Number one, I’m jealous that that you somehow have an Indy mechanic. Please explain. But I’d love to know if you figure this thing out. Do you have a sector shaft brace? I do, and suspect it’s at least involved.
He is just an independent mechanic, separate from a dealership. He is not mine alone, just the one I use, so ‘mine’. As soon as I win that lotto though….

No Sector shaft brace here. I have a Falcon steering stabilizer, Apex drag link and tie rod, and Dynatrac ball joints. Installed in phases and the problem has persisted.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
He is just an independent mechanic, separate from a dealership. He is not mine alone, just the one I use, so ‘mine’. As soon as I win that lotto though….

No Sector shaft brace here. I have a Falcon steering stabilizer, Apex drag link and tie rod, and Dynatrac ball joints. Installed in phases and the problem has persisted.
Steersmarts steering stabilizer, drag link, and tie rod here, along with their sector shaft brace. 3.5”/5” front/rear lift on 37’s. Stock ball joints, RCV axles, 47k miles

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Steersmarts steering stabilizer, drag link, and tie rod here, along with their sector shaft brace. 3.5”/5” front/rear lift on 37’s. Stock ball joints, RCV axles, 47k miles
Nice setup. I have RCV front axle shafts and different rear chromoly axle shafts (Cannot remember what right now, but not RCV). I broke the factory rear shafts.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice setup. I have RCV front axle shafts and different rear chromoly axle shafts (Cannot remember what right now, but not RCV). I broke the factory rear shafts.
I still have the factory rear shafts. I’m not that up to speed on how those fail. What happened with yours? I’m all for upgrading in the strength department.
Sponsored